GOOD TRIGGER WEIGHT FOR A HUNTING RIFLE?

2.5 - 3.5 lbs is about right for me. It comes down to simple questions....will I carry the rifle loaded? Does the safety lock up the striker or the trigger? Can I see/test it is absolutely working? Do I have a concern the mechanism will be solely responsible for safety, or are there parallel safety mechanisms?

For example, Win 70's lift the striker off the sear and lock it. If the safety fails, the sear catches it. You can see the safety is working because the striker is held back a bit.

On a rig appropriate for this forums purpose, I'm running 12 oz. I know the safety is rock solid and everything has locktite. I wouldn't be comfortable with factory or a used rifle until I checked it out.

Hunting rifles I run around 2lbs, varmint rifles are 8-12 oz and target rifles are minimum legal, and BR's are 2 oz. Everything with zero or near zero over travel, and often, I run lighter weight firing pins with heavier springs.

I like mine at 2 lbs +/- 2 oz. For me this is heavy enough that I can still feel the trigger and get a nice finger placement with light gloves on, but still seems light enough to get a nice quicker trigger break when I have that adrenaline rush shooting at game.

When I contacted Timney Triggers to purchase a Calvin Elite, they said they come standard with the trigger set at 8 ounces. I asked them to set it at 1.75 pounds. I installed it in my new 338 Norma. All of our hunting rifles are set for 1.75 lbs.

I have a couple of cz's and the set trigger is great. I have them set for 2.5# and 1#. Best of both worlds!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.