Full length 28nosler RCBS die not bumping shoulder...

Are you over-camming the press? I don't get my shoulder bump til then. You pull handle down till it just stops then pull it down a little more you will get a little squeeze that is the bump. If that don't work get a different die. Annealing doesn't harden the metal, it makes it more workable, I use sand annealing, very simple cheap and no open flame

All,

So I measured my fired brass from the shoulder, before sizing my brass with an RCBS sizing die (I have removed the decapping/sizing stem since I use mandrels). When I resize the brass, it is NOT moving the shoulders at all. It is only neck sizing so I wonder if I simply got a neck sizing die or what is possibly going on. Can anyone suggest some help? Should I pony up for another sizing die? Is there a way to check the current die to make sure that is the issue and not something else like maybe my rifle has an ultra tight chamber (which doesn't make sense to me since factory brass fits just fine). Thanks for the help.
I too have run into this issue with an RCBS die. My simple fix was to simply file down the top of the shell holder. Figured if I messed it up I was only going to have to replace the shell holder and not the die. Kept checking the movement with a caliper along the way and it worked like a charm.

This is not as uncommon as you would think. There are tolerances in chambers and dies. If you get them on the opposite ends of each other this can happen. You will also see the opposite where a die screwed to the shell holder will push the shoulder back 10 thou. You can send the dies back rcbs customer service is good. Or try another set of dies. As mentioned you can also mill down the shell holder or die or use the redding competition shell holders.

Are you having chambering problems ? If not leave well enough alone.

IMO RCBS has become the low price spread. Buy Redding with the shoulder bump shell holders.
I USE REDDING BODY DIES WITH COMPETION SHELL HOLDER TO BUMP SHOULDER AND LE WILSON EXPANDING MANDREL DIE SET UP .

I USE REDDING BODY DIES WITH COMPETITION SHELL HOLDER TO BUMP SHOULDER AND LE WILSON EXPANDING MANDREL DIE SET UP . USE RCBS MICROMETER SEATING DIE OR FORESTER SEATING DIE OR REDDING SEATING DIES. BUT LIKE THE WINDOW ON RCBS MICROMETER SEATING DIES. JUST DROP HE BULLET IN.

If it's close you could place a feeler gauge under the case head in your shell holder to take up the clearance. This will effectively shorten your shell holder. If its enough, take that much or a touch more off your shell holder. Cheaper to modify a shell holder and ruin it than a die.

I would take some material off of the shell holder instead of the die. Modify the cheapest parts first. (Redding Competition Shellholder Sets are $70. +-)
Measure your shell holder . Should be .125".
1595611414634.png

( I stole that photo from Bill Cauley Jr)

I would take some material off of the shell holder instead of the die. Modify the cheapest parts first. (Redding Competition Shellholder Sets are $70. +-)
Measure your shell holder . Should be .125".
View attachment 205238
( I stole that photo from Bill Cauley Jr)
Shell holder is .124 so it is not the shellholder that is the issue. But I could take some off. I have a bump die coming to see what that does. It was cheap enough (30$) so not a big deal.

As stated above take about .010 off the top of the shellholder I've got one that I had to do that on my Redding 300wsm die for my 6.5x300wsm then it stays in the die box.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.