Full length 28nosler RCBS die not bumping shoulder...

Bigeclipse

All,

So I measured my fired brass from the shoulder, before sizing my brass with an RCBS sizing die (I have removed the decapping/sizing stem since I use mandrels). When I resize the brass, it is NOT moving the shoulders at all. It is only neck sizing so I wonder if I simply got a neck sizing die or what is possibly going on. Can anyone suggest some help? Should I pony up for another sizing die? Is there a way to check the current die to make sure that is the issue and not something else like maybe my rifle has an ultra tight chamber (which doesn't make sense to me since factory brass fits just fine). Thanks for the help.

Are you having chambering problems ? If not leave well enough alone.

IMO RCBS has become the low price spread. Buy Redding with the shoulder bump shell holders.
They chamber but they are definitely tight as the bolt is sticky so it is definitely a problem.

Is it new brass? Might need to fire it more than once until the shoulder lengthens enough to be bumped back with the die. Sometimes virgin brass cases can be really short.
It is not new brass and the brass is sticky being chambered. it will chamber but the bolt feels stiff.

Is it new brass? Might need to fire it more than once until the shoulder lengthens enough to be bumped back with the die. Sometimes virgin brass cases can be really short.
Could annealing have hardened the brass further if I did it wrong? It was my first time annealing but I followed things step by step. I did it where you put brass in a extend socket in a drill. I used 700 degree temp wax to determine when I hit 700 (about 4 seconds). I did this for each piece. Could I have inadvertently hardened the brass?

when your sizing a piece of this brass , with the press at the top of it's stroke , is the die making contact with the shellholder ? it should be . what sizing lube are you using ? I have no luck with the spray lubes .

when your sizing a piece of this brass , with the press at the top of it's stroke , is the die making contact with the shellholder ? it should be . what sizing lube are you using ? I have no luck with the spray lubes .
Yes shell holder is touching. I'm not at home right now but the lube I use comes in a little tin that I dab with my fingers and wipe on.

Yes shell holder is touching. I'm not at home right now but the lube I use comes in a little tin that I dab with my fingers and wipe on.

if it's a grease in a tin , I think these work pretty well . double check and be sure the die is making contact with the shellholder with a piece of brass being sized . if they gap apart just a few thousandths this would be your problem .
I don't think you can harden brass by trying to anneal . it's either unannealed , annealed , or over annealed .

Sell your RCBS dies on Ebay and buy Redding and the special bump shell holders. Problem solved.
Stop agonizing and move on. You could have been shooting by now.

(Redding Competition) special bump shell holders.
Are to make the sized case longer, head to datum. Will not help the OP.
20200724_105041.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.