Body Die or Full Length Die for Shoulder Bump?

Jim R

Some have seen this question elsewhere, but I am interested in all opinions here.......

My 6.5-06 project arrived complete from the gunsmith with the Redding Comp Neck Die reamed from the 25-06 original die and the bullet seater. As you probably can figure out, my cases are getting a bit long in the shoulder after several firings, and I am a bit confused on what die to use in order to bump the shoulder just a touch.

As background, I am necking down 30-06 cases and then fireforming. I am not looking to get 50 firings from these cases, but also do not want to toss perfectly good cases if I have the right equipment to prolong their use.

My question is: Am I better suited to buy just the body die to bump the shoulder or should I just go ahead and purchase the full length resizing die and just adjust it to bump the shoulder and not the rest of the case?

While I am not shooting 1000 yard mathces (yet), I do want to maximize my efforts in having as accurate a process in this as possible. Any help greatly appreciated. Jim R

You can do it with either, but if youve got a proven method for neck tension, id stick with the body die... unless you wanted to go to a type S bushing FL die that is...
Ive been playing with the body die here recently, and ive been very impressed.

Thanks for the replies.

At present, I am not turning necks. I told my gunsmith what my experience was with handloading so he did not ream as tight a tolerance as he might normally have done for such a weapon. Though a tighter neckchamber than any factory gun, it is not to benchrest standards.

I like the idea of a body die, simply to keep from overworking the brass. Like you said, abinok, I have a proven tool for neck tension, even though it may invlove another step in my case prep. Then again, I throw charges from a silver spoon so taking a little extra time isn't much of an issue.........Thanks again!! Jim R

Agree with the above poster. If you are not turning your necks and neck sizing with a Wilson type neck sizing die and proper bushing insert; gently bump the shoulder with standard full length dies.

Good hunting. LB

Thanks for the replies. I think I have what I need now. I spoke with a tech at Sinclair and he was a big help in filling in the blanks as well. Thanks again! Jim R

Just thought id add on one thing that pushed me towards the body die. My neck sizing die changes neck diameter by .005", from fired to resized, with no expander ball. My FL die changes neck dimension .020" from fired to resized without expander. Too much neck tension to use with no expander ball... to much work hardening with it... and then there are the accuracy issues of expander balls, and variation in inside neck lube to deal with.
Just my .02

Definately...
you can get most of the body dies for a $20 BILL.
Any of the FL bushing dies on the market are going to cost twice that, and then after you buy 3 or 4 bushings for somewhere between $10 and $20 you are easily spending $100... or 5 times the body die price.

[ QUOTE ]
JB,
Wouldn't a body die be easier on the pocket then a F/L bushing die?

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, till you then buy a bushing nk die...

The body die doesnt touch the neck...

JB

JB
I know that the body does not touch the neck, i have, and use several.

According to JimR's original post his rifle came furnished with a Redding Comp neck die and a seater,

The Redding Comp Dies i use, ARE Bushing Neck Dies.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.