Body die + Lee collet die -> Full length sizing die 280 AI

fightthenoise

I currently use a Redding body die to size/bump my 280 AI brass, followed by a Lee collet neck sizing die to size the necks. The ammo is fine, but I'd like to know if there is a single die that accomplishes the same thing to the same standard. I'm mainly trying to consolidate two steps into one step. I'm looking at Redding full length sizing dies but my worry is that I won't be able to set it up to size as minimally as I am with the body/collet dies.

You should not have to bump shoulder every reload. My 280 AI is an Encore with no camming power at all. Running 4 full power load with just neck sizing, then a bump and 4 more before discard.

I currently use a Redding body die to size/bump my 280 AI brass, followed by a Lee collet neck sizing die to size the necks. The ammo is fine, but I'd like to know if there is a single die that accomplishes the same thing to the same standard. I'm mainly trying to consolidate two steps into one step. I'm looking at Redding full length sizing dies but my worry is that I won't be able to set it up to size as minimally as I am with the body/collet dies.
I use the same dies as you mentioned but I usually don't use the body die every time.

Those collet dies are great. Very little runout. I suggest you keep using it. My runout increased when I went to the Redding bushing for die. Wish I could find a collet dire for my 250 savage.

Those collet dies are great. Very little runout. I suggest you keep using it. My runout increased when I went to the Redding bushing for die. Wish I could find a collet dire for my 250 savage.

Lee will make a custom collet die for your 250 Savage. I had one made for a 7STW imp.

A quick phone call to the manufacturer might be a good idea. They will probably be happy to build you one. It may be a pretty simple project for them. They built me one years ago for a 30-06 Ackley, and it was not expensive. It also didn't take very long, and it works perfectly. Someone on this forum commented that the standard 30-06 collet die would have worked for that cartridge. The reason I mention that is to illustrate that they may have one in production already for a different cartridge that would do the trick for you right out of the box. I don't have any idea what cartridge that might be, but they would surely know that. Good luck.

For what it's worth.. I made a different switch from Redding Body Die and Lee Neck Collet. I went with Forster "Benchrest" Full Length Die with neck custom honed at factory to 4 thou less than loaded cartridge neck diameter, and then I do a light fine tuning on the necks with 21st Century Mandrel Die. That switch gave me significant runout improvement. I also turn my necks, I anneal with every loading, and I use a forster seater. And I use the Redding "Competition" shell holder set to make my shoulder bumping easier.

Last edited:
My steps are as follow:
FL and de-primer
wet tumbler
annealing
case trimming, etc if required
neck sizing with collet die

What about the FL sizing die with competition shell holders from Redding, will that do the trick?

With caveat that I never used the expander spindle on my Forster "Benchrest" Full Length Die (because I use separate expander mandrel die).. I do recommend this die.

With caveat that I never used the expander spindle on my Forster "Benchrest" Full Length Die (because I use separate expander mandrel die).. I do recommend this die.
I only use forster benchrest FL die minus expander ball and spindle also, benchrest seaters as well. Always finish with the collet die.

I only use forster benchrest FL die minus expander ball and spindle also, benchrest seaters as well. Always finish with the collet die.

I never tried Lee Collet after sizing on my Forster FL die. I'll have to try that next time I get components and compare runout and pin gauge size result with my typical Mandrel Die. Only thing is it might be a few weeks before I have time to get the stuff.

Have you done any comparison?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.