Body die or full length sizing die to bump shoulder .002

Mike when you get here your blood pressure will go down to normal.
During the worst traffic here in Helena I can get across town in 20 min no kidding.
Let me know when you get here.
Old Rooster
Another Helena guy here. Yeah the worst we have is Custer Ave around 5-7pm.

I'll take that!

I have started to reducing my 280AI brass to 6mm-280AI. I have Redding FL bushing dies. Cleaned up the inside of die and set the base of the die to the case holder. Removed the expander ball and changed over to a 25-06 deprimer rod. That was because the 280 deprimer rod would be to large in diameter by the time the case was reduced to .243 ID or there about. I stepped the OD down with bushing to achieve OD neck size that I am after. Set the bushing about 4 to 5 thousand loose in the FL die to allow for alinement. (As per instruction) That worked, but the case neck doesn't full sized to to the shoulder of the neck. It's about 1/8" short of start of shoulder. Base case holder stops at the bottom of the sizing die, where it should. So I am wondering what the hell, I am doing wrong. This is the first time in using bushing dies for me. What I don't know it if the case shoulder at the start of the shoulder is bumping it. These are unfired and new cases. I have 5 cases that the necks are cut to 13th thickness, which the smith want to see if everything is going to fit. I am headed the to smith on Monday, and talk this over. I do have a friend that can cut me new bushing to a longer length, but not sure if that going to work It's not out of scope to have a custom FL bushing die built either. All case cut to length to start with, before placed into the sizing die.

Attachments

• 6mm-280A1.jpg
    6mm-280A1.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 40
It isn't that good in Missoula. I am planning to life their, but down towards Victor. Believe me I will be glad to get there finally. I will feel safter then.
It isn't that good in Missoula. I am planning to life their, but down towards Victor. Believe me I will be glad to get there finally. I will feel safter then.
I will be below that in Corvallis when I finish up. Me too! I am at Modern Recycling part of the time. My son is a major owner there. We won't be to far apart.

Graf & Son have Peterson Brass. I you go to Peterson Brass and click on the brass you are looking for it will send you to Graf & Son. You can place an order, but you are tied in, or you can wish list it. Their prices are inline. I have gotten 300WM, cases from them.
That where I got my 500 case from. Me too on the 300WM cases. I have gotten several 8lbs of powder and have more requested too. I gotten several items from the difference companies. You have to put your name in, and wait. Ammo is coming back, but slowly, and high prices still.

For those that recommended the Redding Competition Shell Holder set I thank you.
No bump dies in 300 weatherby mag anywhere.I doubt they even make them.Body die for 300 weatherby mag is like looking for a unicorn,heard of them but no one has them.
Body dies are listed but no one has them in stock.
I hate to disassemble the firing pin assembly from the bolt body and that's why I kept looking for bump dies but the Redding Competition shell holders are the only choice to get consistent .002 shoulder set back so I ordered them last night.
Mike Matteson are you finally in Montana buy now?We are having terrible weather right now but it gets better buddy.
All take care

So I am wondering what the hell, I am doing wrong.
Normal bushing dies are not forming dies. They're designed for partial neck sizing.
It sounds like you only need to cal down size initially, just to fit the necks in your chamber.
You could use an actual FL die, or a forming die to do this, or in a pinch you could tap a bushing FL of a neck with a hammer and socket.

For those that recommended the Redding Competition Shell Holder set I thank you.
No bump dies in 300 weatherby mag anywhere.I doubt they even make them.Body die for 300 weatherby mag is like looking for a unicorn,heard of them but no one has them.
Body dies are listed but no one has them in stock.
I hate to disassemble the firing pin assembly from the bolt body and that's why I kept looking for bump dies but the Redding Competition shell holders are the only choice to get consistent .002 shoulder set back so I ordered them last night.
Mike Matteson are you finally in Montana buy now?We are having terrible weather right now but it gets better buddy.
All take care
I have several rental units in Missoula. I use one while I am up here to deal problem that arise up. I stay up here about half of the year presently. Right now everything is white, cold, and beautiful . There is 4 seasons up here. Winter, Spring, Summer, Smoke, and fall. I been up here for 13 years now. The Victor, Corvallis areas remain me of days of old in Murrieta, CA. It all going to change here and there. Love the weather here presently that here now.
Take Care!

Normal bushing dies are not forming dies. They're designed for partial neck sizing.
It sounds like you only need to cal down size initially, just to fit the necks in your chamber.
You could use an actual FL die, or a forming die to do this, or in a pinch you could tap a bushing FL of a neck with a hammer and socket.
I follow, but. Part of what have been said is the bushing die doesn't fully size the neck even used in a normal sizing job, to start with. So off to the Smith and talk shop. They had been closed last week, but open up this morning. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will this rifle. Interesting where things lead you to. Thanks for the input. I have always like to learn something new.
The part the bushing FL dies don't totally size the neck in a normal sizing job to start with, if I understand correctly. This is the first time in using bushing dies. I am going to back several years ago. I use a 308 NM rifle. To the shoulder is shorter than a 300 WM, but the neck is longer. Now I do use and resize a 300 WM case to 380 NM case. With using a FL sizing die, I did experience case separation at the base within a few firing. Changing over to a 300 WM neck sizing die, that stop the case separation. You probably know the neck length in the 300 WM is shorter than the 308NM. So it left a portion of the neck to chamber size. Accurate improved some. The only problem after that was losing primer pockets after about 10 to 12 firing. So stop the case separation, which most people moved away the belted cases, because of the separation. In my other belted mags I move the die up some to not bump the shoulder back or use neck sizing dies and don't fully size the neck to the shoulder. If I get a tight chambering with the case then I bump them back. Which I never though to call it bumping back, like the Long Range shooter do, and only a few thousands. So I have been doing for a long time bump back and didn't think of it being a bump back process.

That's about right, have had my 300 RUM for several months and still can't get a Deluxe Redding die set or a competition seater die for it. Had to buy a set of secondhand Lee dies, have never liked them and changed the lock rings over for my preferred style, I like Redding or RCBS.
I swap out the brass grub screw for a steel one and place a lead shot bead in there so the threads don't get damaged.

Cheers.

MagnumMania are these the die's your looking for?

300 Winchester Magnum Matchmaster Competition Neck Bushing Set

I tried to find them in 300 win mag but not one set in stock.
I'll look for 300 RUM if you like?
The link is not coming up