Body die or full length sizing die to bump shoulder .002

I load for 2 300 WBY's, x2 fired case measure 2.393 and 2.394 measured with a .420 Hornady comparator. With my current die a hard cam sized case measures 2.375 for a .019 shoulder bump. My last batch of new WBY brass avg measured 2.373 so this die is darn close to factory spec as would be expected. I have the die set at 3.5 thousands now as these are rounds loaded for hunting and I like 3.5 to 4 thou for a little clearance. I'm using a Co-Ax press and don't have to cam the press to get my bump. You could be having a brass issue or maybe your chamber and die specs aren't compatible. If you have been loading for this rifle for a while and now are having problems I would start looking at the brass. On a side note, looks like Peterson is building Weatherby brass! I'm trying to find somewhere to order it.
Would be great to find Peterson Wby brass. Not much life in the brands available now. Perhaps the price won't be as staggering.

How do you size it now?
What die , what press, what lube, what brass, expander ball or not, do you rotate and size it a second or third time for those difficult brass?
Lots of different techniques for dealing with this but I tend to rotate and size a second or third time. And I leave the ram in on the last size while I go and get the next cartridge and lube it with imperial. That takes a bit of time to do while that ram is still in place. Hopefully stops spring back.

Last edited:
How do you size it now?
What die , what press, what lube, what brass, expander ball or not, do you rotate and size it a second or third time for those difficult brass?
Lots of different techniques for dealing with this but I tend to rotate and size a second or third time. And I leave the ram in on the last size while I go and get the next cartridge and lube it with imperial. That takes a bit of time to do while that ram is still in place.
Redding comp dies. plus body die, Redding T-7 press, RCBS lube, Weatherby brass, no expander ball, no rotation. Trim load --Bang

I believe new brass is annealed. Most manufactures polish out the discoloration. Lapua does not.
If I have understand the process for bumping back your shoulder is done after firing the case. It's done to allow the case to fit back inside the chamber without your case being fully size back to spec., but to your chamber in that rifle. So as you are loading or chambering a case into the action the bolt closes smoothly for one. This is also done to reduce the case stretch, and fit your chamber more clostly. Normally full length sizing dies set the case back to factory spec so it will fit any rifle that is chamber for that cartridge. Each chamber is or can be a little difference. So that where the word, fire forming comes in. It should increase your accuracies or grouping some. Part of the problem here is I normally shoot belted Mag. They are spaced by the belt not shoulder. I hope this helps, and I haven't miss lead you. I'll will hear if I did (that's fine too) or somebody else can add to this. That the last thing I don't want to do is mislead somebody.

capona I use redding bushing dies on a RCBS Rock Chucker Imperial lube no ball expander and yes I rotate 180 degrees for a second stroke but magnum maniac said he leaves it for several seconds with pressure to get consistent numbers.Unfired R P Brass is impossible to get .002 shoulder set back and once fired R P brass is almost as difficult.I get different shoulder set back numbers and none are consistent..005 .003 .006 are my numbers on the 3 I shot and tried to set the shoulder back .002.
I tried the brand new Norma brass I have under my bench and they set back perfectly.
I think the new R P brass is so hard that it resists setting the shoulder back.I may re-anneal the R P brass to soften it up a bit.
Thanks for your reply as I fought this all night a few nights ago and was at my wits end.
Keep the advice coming as you can never have too much information.
Thanks
Old Rooster

Thanks Mike Matteson you did not mislead.Good information and you sir are correct about the case fitting your rifle.
When I first got this rifle in 1998 I did not set the shoulder back at all and a friend that shoots a weatherby MK V wood stocked 300 weatherby asked if he could borrow a few of my reloads and they would not fit in his rifle and that's when I read about setting the shoulder back .002 to fit mine and his rifle.
Accuracy improved in both mine and his rifle and feeding was great so I started setting the shoulder back from then on to now.
I annealed every other time but will switch to EVERY round shot from now on.

Tg
Thanks Mike Matteson you did not mislead.Good information and you sir are correct about the case fitting your rifle.
When I first got this rifle in 1998 I did not set the shoulder back at all and a friend that shoots a weatherby MK V wood stocked 300 weatherby asked if he could borrow a few of my reloads and they would not fit in his rifle and that's when I read about setting the shoulder back .002 to fit mine and his rifle.
Accuracy improved in both mine and his rifle and feeding was great so I started setting the shoulder back from then on to now.
I annealed every other time but will switch to EVERY round shot from now on.
e nice thing about annealing every time is you always have the same expected neck tension , and it's one less thing to keep track of vs every other time or every third time.

Tg

e nice thing about annealing every time is you always have the same expected neck tension , and it's one less thing to keep track of vs every other time or every third time.
There a lot to it, and it's changing my ways to reload. Part of my problem is half my gear is in Montana and half in Mex-lifornia for now. Moving here shortly to Montana for good. I having to add to my steps in reloading from where I was. I interested to see what I can achieve in grouping with all this added items to do. I normally could get into the 1/2" ranges at 100yds with most rifles that I shot or reloaded for, just by being careful and the system I used. I field this is great forum to either add to learn new information. Take Care!

Mike when you get here your blood pressure will go down to normal.
During the worst traffic here in Helena I can get across town in 20 min no kidding.
Let me know when you get here.
Old Rooster
I envy you guys.
Beautiful country up there.

You just got that one little problem of horses and cows freezing in their tracks. You get a bit cold up there, and I'm used to cold winters..

Mike when you get here your blood pressure will go down to normal.
During the worst traffic here in Helena I can get across town in 20 min no kidding.
Let me know when you get here.
Old Rooster
It isn't that good in Missoula. I am planning to life their, but down towards Victor. Believe me I will be glad to get there finally. I will feel safter then.