Full length 28nosler RCBS die not bumping shoulder...

Please try this BEFORE you do anything else.
Take a .005" feeler gauge and place it under the case head in the shell holder, size a case, measure the bump. If it has bumped the shoulder a little then turn .010" off the TOP of the SHELL HOLDER. If .005" did nothing, try a .010" feeler gauge, this should give you too much bump.
Keep your doctored shell holder with that sizing die FOREVER. Keep it in that box and buy another for your other cases, or vice versa

Cheers.

All,

So I measured my fired brass from the shoulder, before sizing my brass with an RCBS sizing die (I have removed the decapping/sizing stem since I use mandrels). When I resize the brass, it is NOT moving the shoulders at all. It is only neck sizing so I wonder if I simply got a neck sizing die or what is possibly going on. Can anyone suggest some help? Should I pony up for another sizing die? Is there a way to check the current die to make sure that is the issue and not something else like maybe my rifle has an ultra tight chamber (which doesn't make sense to me since factory brass fits just fine). Thanks for the help.

I just sanded a bit off the shellholder until I got the right amount of bump

I've used RCBS for years, the instructions are with pisto in full cam over to screw die down to touch, then back off half to 3/4 turn. My 7 mag started to load very hard and unfired rounds would be difficult to extract, fired came out fine. My lock ring had moved and was allowing the die to touch , backed it off and all fine. Was bumping the shoulder excessively. Just what happened to me

I would take some material off of the shell holder instead of the die. Modify the cheapest parts first. (Redding Competition Shellholder Sets are $70. +-)
Measure your shell holder . Should be .125".
View attachment 205238
( I stole that photo from Bill Cauley Jr)

Be careful when sanding down the shell holder, if you do, you should also invest in a stuck case remover. I did the same thing on my 28 Nosler, the Redding FL sizing die was not bumping the shoulder and I was having a stiff bolt closing the bolt. I first sanded the shell holder, it worked then about 10 rounds into it, I had one case that must have not had enough lube on it and required more pressure on the down stroke of the case and it popped out of the shell holder, now I have a stuck case in the die and no case remover on hand. A week later, after removing the stuck case, I sanded the die and it works great.

You must have took alot off the shellholder, the thing you gotta realize about a die is you take to much off and it will start peeling brass off. The die has a little bit of a bell or chamfer whatever you wanna call it so it doesnt do that.

.010 off the top of a shellholder should be plenty anymore than that the die should go back I've had to do it on 3 dies over the years.
If you reload long enough and alot of rounds sooner or later you will stick a case everybody should have a stuck case remover, just in case.

The directions for RCBS dies state to raise the ram and tighten the die until it touches the shell holder. Lower the ram and adjust the die down another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. You can also do as JMW67 suggests.

Are to make the sized case longer, head to datum. Will not help the OP.
View attachment 205207
I would say this. I use Redding shell holder and keep it in the box with the competition shellholders and it becomes the dedecaded shell holder because if you use different shell holders you will have different measurements as all shellholders aren't the same thickness.

The directions for RCBS dies state to raise the ram and tighten the die until it touches the shell holder. Lower the ram and adjust the die down another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. You can also do as JMW67 suggests.
1/8 of a turn up or down on a die makes about .005 difference or more that's why instructions suck on how to set them up.
If you dont have a comparator to measure your bump your total guessing, if I set all my dies up like that some would have no bump and some would be .010.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.