Full length resize without bumping shoulder

bedrok

I have 3 different chambers that when the die is set to bump the shoulders .001" the die is off the shell holder .007" to .014". After the cases have been fired a bunch I get the notorious fat spot near the head. On most of these the primer pockets are still good . I think my only 2 choices are run the die down all the way and have a bunch of loads that aren't accurate, or (go ahead and tell me if this is a dumb idea) cut off and or drill out a die to full length resize without affecting the shoulder. Any other ideas?

You can buy a body die too.
It bumps only as much as you want and leaves the neck untouched.

Cheers.

Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die
http://www.larrywillis.com/

diebig.jpg

Belted magnum cartridges have been around for over 50 years, and most shooters that reload them are familiar with the case bulge problem that occurs "just above" the belt. This usually happens after just 2 or 3 firings - wasting perfectly good cases. Many shooters have discovered this problem when they find their handloads begin to stick in their chamber, or when they no longer chamber at all.

Unlike non-belted cases, the belt prevents conventional full length dies from traveling far enough down the case. This limits the amount of resizing, and brass is plowed rearward. The brass builds up just above the belt at each reloading, and cases expand. Neck sizing dies don't bump the shoulder back or resize the tapered case wall. The best solution is to full length resize accurately, and use this collet die to reduce case width.

Our patented Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die solves this problem and has other unique features. The top of this die is a case width gauge that shows when a little "extra" case resizing is required. This resizing die is used to eliminate the case bulge above the belt, after using your full length (or) neck sizing die. Our collet die ensures that your belted magnum ammo will always chamber properly and your cases are now able to last for up to 20 firings, even when using the hottest handloads. Our resizing die uses a collet that fits over the cartridge case, until it bottoms against the belt. The case is then pressed into the sizing die. The collet allows your case to go farther into the die where it only reduces the area "just above" the belt.

This ONE die and collet is universal and works on ALL of the popular belted magnum calibers including: .257 Weatherby Magnum, 6.5 Remington Magnum, .264 Winchester Magnum, .270 Weatherby Magnum, 7 x 61 Sharpe & Hart, 7mm Remington Magnum, 7mm Weatherby Magnum, 7mm STW, .300 H&H Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum, .300 Weatherby Magnum, .308 Norma Magnum, 8mm Remington Magnum, .338 Winchester Magnum, .340 Weatherby Magnum, .350 Remington Magnum, .358 Norma Magnum, .375 H&H Magnum, .416 Remington Magnum, .458 Winchester Magnum, .458 Lott Magnum and several belted wildcat cartridges. There are no extra collets to buy when resizing different calibers. The U.S. Secret Service was one of our first customers to purchase this product.

This popular collet die is now used by well over 6,000 shooters. Sometimes, the high cost of manufacturing this item requires us to build a waiting list before the next production run is back on the shelf.

I have a Larry Willis collet die and it works great to size down the area just north of the belt on a belted mag. This die works with belted mag based on the 300/375 H&H case. It will not work on the non belted cases ( short mags or RUM) or the 378 Weatherby based cases.

7MM rem, (the only one the collet die will work for), 7WSM and.243. For the last 2 I may try my die modification (mutilation would better describe it) idea. Body dies won't do me any good.

I use to neck size , with neck sizing all the cases aren't really the same length ,you just size the neck until you get resistance on your bolt lift or closing . I switched to full sizing with a case headspace between .001- .002 trim every time after sizing . Every case is as close to exact as possible for me F/L sizing is more accurate then neck . Heavy bolt lifts can cause galling on the bolts locking lugs with zero headspace also . Less wear an tare on the rifle . Hope I helped in some way.

I have 3 different chambers that when the die is set to bump the shoulders .001" the die is off the shell holder .007" to .014". After the cases have been fired a bunch I get the notorious fat spot near the head. On most of these the primer pockets are still good . I think my only 2 choices are run the die down all the way and have a bunch of loads that aren't accurate, or (go ahead and tell me if this is a dumb idea) cut off and or drill out a die to full length resize without affecting the shoulder. Any other ideas?

Larry Willis die really works good, just follow his advice on lube. Think its imperial wax by redding.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.