Does the Creedmoor really need more??? I don't think so!

Standard Hammer Hunter procedure is "Max Load" for comparable bullet weight -1grain, How many Hammers have you loaded ? and how are you coming to the conclusion that the 85g is light for a 6.5 ?
Ok how many bullet manufactures make 85 grain bullets for a 6.5 caliber? Hammer and Sierra. 2 manufacturers. At least that's all I can find. How many bullet manufactured are our there? Quite a few. That would be a very long list. It's just not me saying a 85 grain bullet is light for a 6.5 caliber it's all the bullet manufacturers that are saying it because they are not producing it. I'm not saying it don't or would not work I'm just saying it's very light for a 6.5 caliber. The 6.5 caliber just wasn't designed for that light of a bullet. I'd use a 243 or 25-06 for a 85 grain myself. You would get much better results and keep a higher BC. I have not loaded any hammer bullets myself. That being said I can't say they don't work. A lot of people seem to like them. I have loaded Berger, Sierra, Hornady, Alco, Speer, Nosler, and a few others just not any Hammers. Out of all those bullets, Burgers just flat out work for me. I'm not knocking the hammers at all. I just never needed to try anything else. If it's not broke than don't fix it.

I appreciate the effort - thanks for your time. I will consider this when starting. I actually directed the question to Steve, from Hammer bullets. He is a member and started this thread. I see he already mentioned StaBall 6.5, so will contact him direct. Trying not to use too many primers in load development. Gone into withdrawal due to lack of shooting. Need to feed this addiction, but need primers fo hunting season.
LoL my bad. My name is Steve as well. There is quite a few people on here that know me by name and I try to help them out the best I can. My apologies.

LoL my bad. My name is Steve as well. There is quite a few people on here that know me by name and I try to help them out the best I can. My apologies.
I saw that - "Steve," lol. No need to apologize. Any info is welcome. I just targeted one of the many other Steves, but I figured Steve from Hammer had some inside scoop! Good discussion.

Ok how many bullet manufactures make 85 grain bullets for a 6.5 caliber? Hammer and Sierra. 2 manufacturers. At least that's all I can find. How many bullet manufactured are our there? Quite a few. That would be a very long list. It's just not me saying a 85 grain bullet is light for a 6.5 caliber it's all the bullet manufacturers that are saying it because they are not producing it. I'm not saying it don't or would not work I'm just saying it's very light for a 6.5 caliber. The 6.5 caliber just wasn't designed for that light of a bullet. I'd use a 243 or 25-06 for a 85 grain myself. You would get much better results and keep a higher BC. I have not loaded any hammer bullets myself. That being said I can't say they don't work. A lot of people seem to like them. I have loaded Berger, Sierra, Hornady, Alco, Speer, Nosler, and a few others just not any Hammers. Out of all those bullets, Burgers just flat out work for me. I'm not knocking the hammers at all. I just never needed to try anything else. If it's not broke than don't fix it.

Hammers are completely different than the bullets you mention. Like comparing Apples to Oranges. I'm sure the gents at Hammer didn't just spin these up without confirming they work.

As jgs said, Hammers are a "Unconventional" projectile so as has been said time and time again 'Conventional" loading practices do not apply, As far as the better results with the high BC Bullet comment, You are totally incorrect as we have shown otherwise in our testing, And they do work with authority so please don't spew information that you don't have a clue about. I mean no offense but you are about a 8 months behind with that comment so I'd suggest you you the search feature and study up a bit, Once again no offense but please don't suggest any loading data for Hammers as you have 0 experience with them, As for you shooting Bergers if that suits you stick with them as I doubt you will ever grasp the Hammer concept, I live on the Border line and folks that are just boards

Last edited:
I just looked at Hammers bullets, about a dollar apiece for the 85gr .264". I probably won't be shooting any.

I just looked at Hammers bullets, about a dollar apiece for the 85gr .264". I probably won't be shooting any.
Considering all the other $ I spend, the price of bullets is low in my list of cutting expenses. I know not everyone sees it that way. If I can be confident with my shooting and a good end result, the bullet expense doesn't bother me.

I looked through my Berger, Hornady and Nosler reloading books and a 85 grain is just really light for a 6.5 cal, but if it was me. I'd start with 42 grains of H4350. That should be very safe for you to start. I would all most bet you can run it up to around 45-46 grains. I just recommend starting at the 42 grains.
I looked through my Berger, Hornady and Nosler reloading books and a 85 grain is just really light for a 6.5 cal, but if it was me. I'd start with 42 grains of H4350. That should be very safe for you to start. I would all most bet you can run it up to around 45-46 grains. I just recommend starting at the 42 grains.
Don't think you need to start that low with a 85 gr in a Creed. I run the 124 HH with 41.5 gr of H4350 in my 6.5x47.

Don't think you need to start that low with a 85 gr in a Creed. I run the 124 HH with 41.5 gr of H4350 in my 6.5x47.
So many good bullets in that line up you may be correct. I can see where all of them fit somewhere in my various 6.5's.