I think I might need a more explosive bullet?

[ QUOTE ]
"chunk spread" contest

[/ QUOTE ]
Put me down with my 300 Wby shootin 110 grain Hornady spire points at 4000fps. I have seen debris feilds in excess of 50' in diameter with a close in shot. I'm talking about getting green and red stuff on ya!

On smaller game I just use My 257 WBY shooting 75 grain V-Max's at 4000 fps. That will turn a digger squirrel into pink and white vapor with very few peices to inventory or to examine to determine the cause of death. It knocks most of the hairs out of the hide bits. We post mortem almost everything. We have got to do something while the hotrods cool off. At 300 yards a 22-250 will hardly push a squirrel off a stump where the 257 gets a bunch of airtime at 500+. The 22-250's are mostly fond memories as they are safe dwellers now.

Just returned from my annual PD hunt. We shot various 22 caliber bullets and just about determined that they all performed about the same. Most of the carnage was more related to how and where the hit were. We shot V-max, Ballistic Tips, TNT, Remington HP. Next time I'll try the Blitz Kings and some Calhoon's. FYI the Amax in my 243 performed well at 400yds (Thanks GG)and the 110gr VMax in my 308win was pretty impressive up close on Jacks. We also shot a 204 Ruger with 32gr. V-Max and it was a definite second to the 22-250. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have not tried the 35gr Hornady but I do shoot the 30gr Berger MEF for close shots on Pelt animals because it does not exit. GG no RL-10 has shown up in either store around here. When I get it I will let you know how it worked.

I know this is really ( I MEAN REALLY) old thread. But here is my two cents anyway. My vermin prescription is as follows

50 grain vmax bullet
26 grains of VV N133
Winchester brass full length sized and trimmed to 1.75
wolf small rifle primers

In a 12 twist 24 inch barrel, the Lapua manual list this load at
3533 FPS. I don't own a chrono so I haven't verified what I am getting out of
my 24 inch 12 twist barrel.

This load is accurate enough to hit soda cans at 300 yards. I have the fullest confidence that if it aint no bigger than coyote and no further away than 300 yards I have a lethal vermin perscription.

I've had really good terminal effect on 12 lb ground hogs with the 40g Nosler Ballistic Tip out of my .223. The terminal performance is amazing. I've seen the ground hog swell up on impact like a grenade went off inside it. Frequently the hydraulic shock is so great it causes the GH to rip open nearly full length on the opposite side. They don't come out the other side even if the GH is relatively close (75 yards). Drops them in their shadow. DRT

They shoot pretty flat and group well (1/2") at around 3,650 fps out of my CZ.

Fitch

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.