I think I might need a more explosive bullet?

dakor

Well here is the run down. Tonight I was using my 223 loaded with 50gr Rem Power Lock HP's leaving the muzzle at 3280FPS. I shot 3 Jacks tonight and I will tell you what happend on each one. The first jack was facing me at 227 yards. I put the hairs on his chest pulled the trigger and he flipped back words. About two seconds later he got up ran around in about a 2ft circle then fell over kicked a little bit and I ended up putting another bullet into him to finish him off. Rabbit # 2 was at 301 yards broadside so I put the hairs on his shoulder and let it fly. When the bullet hit he flipped on his side then got up ran about 10 yards did a circle and died. I walked out there and sure enough the shot was right behind the shoulder and he had blood dripping out his nose so I got the lungs for sure. I flipped him over and the exit hole was not very big at all maybe the size of a penny. Rabbit #3 was at 257 yards broadside I put the hairs behind the shoulder again when I shot he went down and did not get back up but he flipped around for about 15 seconds that one I did not go look at. I thought the Rem HP was supposed to be explosive? Anyone have any advice? I have never used these before. Anyone have a bullet they like for 223 velocity's? I know all the rabbits died but you would think with a varmit bullet you would have more bang flop effect on a Jack.

I've shot simular game with 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tips pushed by 25gr of Varget (at closer ranges)(40 - 100 yards) that had exit wounds about the size of a tennis ball. They seem to work just fine out of my ARs.

Dakor I saw the most awsome splat effect on a rabbit yesterday and it was with a 150 scirrocco out of a 7 mag at around 3000 fps Talk about red mist!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh yea you were using 223. I would suggest nosler BT's they have a great splat effect!!

Look hard at those Calhoons. They are built around "splat factor". They don't shoot well in my mini so I don't use them but Gone and Dave in Idaho have good luck with them and they do make soup. I'm using 55gr Bal tips in the mini and the accuracy is legendary for a stock gun. I actually dont have any splat time on critters bigger than ground squirrels with them so I don't know what they would do on a rabit at those ranges. Bulk winchester 55gr soft points from a .223 at 25 yards make rabits look like an explosion in a pillow factory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and they are cheap.

I almost forgot. If you have a slow twist and I'm assuming you do with 50 grainers try some wildcat 45 grain with the open hollow point or the 52's with a little smaller HP. They worked great in my 22.250 on a cat but I was at higher velocities. I might be willing to send you a handful to try if you want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a box of 55gr Ballistic Tips I could try that I used to use in a swift I had. The guy that use to own the rifle said it really likes Hornady 55gr SXSP's. I have never tried them anyone know if they like to blow up?. 7RUMLoader I would take you up on your offer but I have had a bullet order in for over 5 1/2 months with Wildcat bullets and I still do not have what I ordered. So my fear is if you sent some to me I would end up liking them and I would not be able to get them. But thanks for the offer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I will also take a look at Calhoon Bullets. I went to his website and his prices for custom bullets are cheap. Looks like a good deal to me. Thanks for the input everyone!

I also suggest the Nosler's. I use the 40gr. in my 22.250 and they are really accurate and the 'splat' factor is unbelievable. A chest hit on a crow will leave a head and 2 wings.

Dakor,

I think your asking alot of the little 223 with a 50 gr bullet at 300 yards. With only 3280 fps at the muzzle, that little Rem bullet will drop velocity pretty quick and at 300 yards your energies will be pretty low.

Now I am not saying the 223 is not a 300 yard round. It certainly is and obviously it is accurate and deadly in your rifle at 300 yards. I think we just need to keep in mind what we are asking the little round to do.

Energy does not mean a thing as far as killing power but it does have alot to do with varmint bullet expansion. The higher the energy the more rapidly the bullet will expand which from your post is what you are looking for.

The only way to get more expansion with a given velocity and energy level is to use a thinner jacketed bullet. As mentioned the Calhoons are great bullets for expanding and I personally fine them best suited for rounds up to the 223 class.

I woudl recommend the 52 gr Double Hollow Point RBBT. Non of the Calhoon bullets have what I would call a high B.C. as Jim designs his bullets for use out to 400 yards and that is about it.

They do expand very violently and are generally very well priced.

In testing several bullets for my 223 rifles I have settled on the 50 gr Blitzking from Sierra. I tried the B. Tips which I am a huge fan of and the V-Max bullets and of the three the Blitzking provided the most violent expansion of the three in the 50 gr class. They also tied with the B. Tips for best accuracy as well. The thin cup jacket on the Blitzking seems to totally come apart as aposed to the B. Tip with its heavy solid base that generally did not.

Plus the Blitzkings are significantly cheaper then the B. Tips.

Another great bullet for the 223 is the 50 gr Speer TNT. This bullet is really made for the 223 class rounds and performs as such and is generally very accuate and even lower priced.

All in all, keep in mind that no matter what bullet you load in it, at 300 yards, your still shooting a 223. If you want those massive explosive impacts you will probably need to jump up to a 22-250 class round at least on targets the size of Jack Rabbits.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I'm going to have to support the masses on the Nosler BT. The 55 grainers out of my 243 will absoulutly liquify a prarie dog!!!

Kirby to be honest with you that is the most I have shot my 223 in the last 6 months. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I mostly use my 220 Swift or 7mm STW or 300 Win and most of the time I pack to rifles one for short stuff and one for long. But after changing scopes and running out of powder that was the only rifle in the closet ready to go last night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I know its just a little 223 but I would have thought the closer shots would have been a little better but oh well. I could crank the FPS and see what happends but at 100 yards those Rem HP's shoot 3 shots in the .1's and that is out of a stock Rem 700 BDL non Heavy barrel no less. I will say it is fun shooting those little cals and watching the bullet hit the target. I do plan I trying to take rabbits, gophers and crows out to 500 yards once I find a good expanding bullet. Does anyone think that is to far for a 223?

Dakor
I use 50nbt's and 50 blitz kings in the 22-250 at 3800fps. both work well.
In my 222 I couldn't get explosive results with either so I limited my distance and shoot the 40 V-Max at 3600fps, they do the trick.

Rimfire you like the 40gr V-Max? I have a good load worked up for them in this rifle and it is driving them at 3682FPS. I have not shot anything but paper with them but I should give them a try. I would think they would be good out to the 300 yard mark on rabbits anyway. I went with the 50gr because I figured the heavier bullet at longer distance would be better. I guess I will have to do a little more bullet testing. I just hate doing that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dakor
I would think the 50 or 52's would work better for long range, but the speed trade off worked for me out to 350.
At 100-150ish they dont exit a fat hog. The guys at the woodchuck den in Ohio gave me the load (40 V-Max seated hard over a stiff load of H-4198) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Load testing took all of two minutes to work near max and there it was. The gun is a new in box 1966 Sako Vixen that was found in storage. .5 MOA out of a 66 is good enough for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.