Does the Creedmoor really need more??? I don't think so!

I just purchased these 85s to try. Have a pronghorn hunt this year and trying a few bullet/load combinations. I expect to shoot out to mid-range - 500 - 600yds. I already have the 124 Hammer's shooting very well, but always looking for another challenge. Tough tho with dwindling primer stash.

Steve, you have a load recommendation with H4350 Staball 6.5, or some other powder? A starting point would be good.
I looked through my Berger, Hornady and Nosler reloading books and a 85 grain is just really light for a 6.5 cal, but if it was me. I'd start with 42 grains of H4350. That should be very safe for you to start. I would all most bet you can run it up to around 45-46 grains. I just recommend starting at the 42 grains.

I looked through my Berger, Hornady and Nosler reloading books and a 85 grain is just really light for a 6.5 cal, but if it was me. I'd start with 42 grains of H4350. That should be very safe for you to start. I would all most bet you can run it up to around 45-46 grains. I just recommend starting at the 42 grains.
I appreciate the effort - thanks for your time. I will consider this when starting. I actually directed the question to Steve, from Hammer bullets. He is a member and started this thread. I see he already mentioned StaBall 6.5, so will contact him direct. Trying not to use too many primers in load development. Gone into withdrawal due to lack of shooting. Need to feed this addiction, but need primers fo hunting season.

If I remember right this is one of my 5 shot group at 100 yards.

Attachments

• 519F6465-3C61-4EC6-8CC9-13B26C3FFB3A.jpeg
    519F6465-3C61-4EC6-8CC9-13B26C3FFB3A.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 93
Several of us are running twist much higher than recommended, at velocities +/- 4000 fps without accuracy degradation.
If your rifle is shooting well it would be a surprise if it didn't continue to do so with this bullet. Perhaps a committed bench rester may notice a difference, but twist alone is not going to be an issue in your results otherwise.
Mono's are changing the "rules" a bit, these are made to be run hard.
If they don't shoot Hammer guarantees them.

I appreciate the effort - thanks for your time. I will consider this when starting. I actually directed the question to Steve, from Hammer bullets. He is a member and started this thread. I see he already mentioned StaBall 6.5, so will contact him direct. Trying not to use too many primers in load development. Gone into withdrawal due to lack of shooting. Need to feed this addiction, but need primers fo hunting season.
You shouldn't have any issues with twist rate as long as you're meeting the recommended twist rate or faster. As Steve mentioned in a earlier post their bullets have not really experienced issues from running it too fast twist/speed.

According to the Colorado hunting book the most common caliber rifle used to kill elk is a 6.5 cal. I've taken elk around 900 yards with my 260 Rem loaded with 140 grain Berger's. I've seen people surpass the 1000 yards on elk with a 260 Rem. We not going hungry.
Thats awesome i personally wouldn't shoot an elk with anything less than a 7mm 08 out to 500yards and id go for something more powerful beyond that i also realize that we have the biggest elk in the world where i am and have never hunted any others not that a smaller caliber can't just that i personally wouldn't

Yeah that's pretty fast twist for 85 grains. It will shoot them but you will probably hold about a 1" group at 100 yards. You can probably get around 3300-3400 FPS out of them but do to the twist rate the bullet will bounce in the barrel and loose accuracy. That's the best way I can explain it. You will have to load it on the light side and give the barrel a chance to stabilize the bullet. What bullet brand is the 85 grains.
I disagree, They will shoot just fine and they won't bounce in the barrel, The added twist will do nothig other than give more terminal performance

Standard Hammer Hunter procedure is "Max Load" for comparable bullet weight -1grain, How many Hammers have you loaded ? and how are you coming to the conclusion that the 85g is light for a 6.5 ?