Spotting Scope for Range work

Bominiscious

I need to pick up something for doing load work and spotting hits and groups on paper out to 500 yards. I will take an occasional trip out west every few years. I don't want to break the bank but need something reliable for to and from the range in the truck.

I've never even looked at spotting scopes so I'm not even sure exactly what I need power-wise.

I have one of the UHD gen 2 Athlons amongst other spotters.
Idk if you'd be able to see holes through paper at 500…especially black paper.

Steel yes. Paper…is iffy.
IMG_3112.jpeg

I have one of the UHD gen 2 Athlons amongst other spotters.
Idk if you'd be able to see holes through paper at 500…especially black paper.

Steel yes. Paper…is iffy.
View attachment 569563
DF, 500 is max and is rare for my shooting situation. 90% of my range work is 300 yards and in. At those ranges on paper what are your thoughts?

Just purchased an Athlon spotting scope and so far it has been worth the money. At two hundred yards had no problem seeing 6.5 bullet holes in white paper. Don't have any experience on paper past that yardage.
The Athlon replaced a five year old Vortex was miserable right out of the box.

I have a Vortex Razor HD 15-45x60mm and was just at the range looking at 7mm bullet holes in brown craft paper at 600yds (no mirage that morning). Vortex has since discontinued this model and replaced with their 22-48x66mm version but don't know how it compares to my older model.

If you REALLY want to spot long range, good glass is a must. Accurately seeing 6mm bullet holes at 600 yards on paper is not for a cheap spotter. These optics can spot where you hit at 1400+ on steel.

But mirage will kill the ability to see small holes in paper no matter how good of glass you have. So a good pair of boots will be your friend.
20220217_060705.jpg

Last edited:
If you REALLY want to spot long range, good glass is a must. Accurately seeing 6mm bullet holes at 600 yards on paper is not for a cheap spotter. These optics can spot where you hit at 1400+ on steel.

But mirage will kill the ability to see small holes in paper no matter how good of glass you have. So a good pair of boots will be your friend.
View attachment 569592
Brands?

DF, 500 is max and is rare for my shooting situation. 90% of my range work is 300 yards and in. At those ranges on paper what are your thoughts?
Black targets can be hard to see small holes even at 100 yds even at 40 and 50 power with my Vortex Viper. But of course old eyes don't help matters either