BULLET STUCK IN BBL in the field

I have opened the bolt after a misfire and experienced lots of unturned powder coming out and the bullet half way up the bore.
Having played and read myself up on subsonic loads I had pistol powder and magnum primers so I simply loaded a round without bullet with magnum primers and a small portion of n330.
Out it went.
From the research I did I would never risk it with normal rifle powder.

OK, here's the deal, if the bullet is stuck do to it contacting/chambering into the lands and groove only, "don't" try the powder and case trick. Get a brass bunch rode or wooden dowel as it been recommended here by a few of the guys. If it was fired and squid a few inches up the barrel you might do what I did when I was working on a lot of subsonic stuff for different projects; use a primed case with about 3 to 5 grains of a fast pistol powder like 2400 or H110 all you're trying to do is get a fast pressure spike well under the pressure the action can withstand, actually it's nothing to speak of. Keep the barrel up insert the squid clearing cartridge and fire it into a tree limb something that will catch the bullet, it should push the bullet out without damage or danger, I think I've used this method a hundred times or more. I probably should add this... no bullet in the squib case...

I've done that too, when I first started reloading several years back. I now carry a sectioned cleaning rod, it can save the day and weighs next to nothing. Inserted through the muzzle and a gentle tap on the end will usually pop the bullet free. I also never load my rounds to touch the lands anymore either.
I don't see a reason why you would try what you described, sounds like a way to potentially destroy the rifle and inflict injury. Some of these guys mentioned squib loads, not enough powder in a case can be as catastrophic as too much or the wrong powder. A bullet that is really stuck in the barrel is a chore to remove and a totally different subject.

I hope this is purely hypothetical. Worst case scenario is it actually goes off, you catch shrapnel, in the field, and have to try and self rescue. Best case scenario, if absolutely everything works as hoped, is you get it out and hunt whatever is left of that day. I would hope the loose powder dumped into the chamber would keep the bolt from closing and possibly save a life.

If anything doesn't go according to plan you either wedged the bullet in deeper or are picking up parts after an explosion.

If you don't carry a cleaning rod it's time to go home for the day.

I never load hunting bullet so that they touch the lands, its too risky. But I do load into the lands with my 4 competition rifles, and have stuck bullets numerous times. In fact, it has happened so often, I consider myself an expert on this subject. The biggest problem you will encounter is powder granules IN THE TRIGGER. Never, never, never allow this to happen. Powder granules are near impossible to remove from the trigger housing. I bring the rifle home after removing the bolt. With my barrel vise, I remove the barrel and scope. Then I clean every granule of powder I can find from the action, after sticking rolled up paper towel over the top of the trigger. I use a dentist's pick to take out one granule at a time. I also use a cotton bore mop to retrieve powder where I can see it. A little dab of oil on the mop will help pick up granules. NEVER USE COMPRESSED AIR. When the action is a clean as possible, I knock the stuck bullet out with a cleaning rod, remove any remaining granules from the chamber area, and re-install the barrel on the action with my barrel wrench. Takes about an hour to do all this. BTW, a small cylindrical flashlight helps.

Many years ago I decided to see how much power a primer has so I loaded a 22-250 case with a live primer and a 55 grain bullet with no powder. Out of the shed I went with the round and my rifle, I aimed it at the ground and pulled the trigger. To my amazement the bullet lodged about 3/4 of the way up the 24" barrel. It took a long brass rod and a ball peen hammer to get the bullet out the muzzle.

The simple fact is that this condition is exactly how a round goes off when the bullet is into the rifling.
So, if you remove a bullet (carefully) from another round and use the bolt to re-seat the bullet, without spilling any powder, it should be perfectly fine to fire it.

I have plugged a barrel with 4" of LOOSE dirt once after tripping on an unseen log.
I pulled a bullet from a loaded round, dumped the powder and fired the primer only. It cleared the dirt, but not every piece, so I fired another one and it cleared the remaking dirt.
This is a far different obstruction than a bullet stuck in the leade.

Cheers.

NO !!!!!
Don,t do it

If it got lodged from seating the bullet to long it can be taped out from the muzzle end very easy with a wooden dowel or a cleaning rod with a bore size brass jag with the tip ground flat or better yet slightly concave using a drill to put a counter sink. Another way is to use compressed air and a rubber stopper with a hole drilled in it and the air can be placed inside the barrel from the muzzle end with a blow gun and only 50+pounds of air. Never dislodge anything from the chamber end because it will only drive it farther in.

If you are not sure take it to a good smith.

J E CUSTOM

J E CUSTOM
J E You did not have to be so shy about giving your opinion --oh YEAH, IT WAS DON'T DO it!!!! I THINK I GOT THE MESSAGE.....THANKS, BUD

The simple fact is that this condition is exactly how a round goes off when the bullet is into the rifling.
So, if you remove a bullet (carefully) from another round and use the bolt to re-seat the bullet, without spilling any powder, it should be perfectly fine to fire it.

I have plugged a barrel with 4" of LOOSE dirt once after tripping on an unseen log.
I pulled a bullet from a loaded round, dumped the powder and fired the primer only. It cleared the dirt, but not every piece, so I fired another one and it cleared the remaking dirt.
This is a far different obstruction than a bullet stuck in the leade.

Cheers.
Magnum Maniac, I was thinking along those same lines and could not figure why not be able to do as you suggested. What makes me stop and question is the idea that even a little powder spilled out could get into places like the trigger and do damage when fired. But you did say "carefully" did you not?

J E You did not have to be so shy about giving your opinion --oh YEAH, IT WAS DON'T DO it!!!! I THINK I GOT THE MESSAGE.....THANKS, BUD

I just didn't want you to ruin a good barrel or hurt your self. I have fixed a few rifles that this happened in and I am in the process of replacing a great barrel in one that was not properly done And even though he didn't hurt him self, He is sick from doing it and ruining a 1/10 MOA barrel.

I will just make a comment that will probably insult some, but hear goes. I wish that others that have not done gunsmithing would leave the comments of how to do something that they have never done before to the folks that have. I know they mean well but no good can come from bad or inexperienced recommendations. I don't consider myself an expert on anything and try to comment only on things that I have had experiences with and keep it To my self if it can be dangerous if I have not, and hope someone that does have the experience steps up and lets all of us know the proper way to do something.

Don't know you BUD, but I don't want you or any other member to ruin a good barrel or hurt themselves If I can prevent it.

Apparently the message was good and clear, but the delivery was not. Sorry

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.