Sako rifle and a stuck case in the chamber

Alibiiv

I have a friend who picked a Sako, Finnbear rifle in .300WinMag at a very good price. The previous owner could not chamber a cartridge, so he sold the rifle cheap!! This falls within the realms of "If it's too good to be, it probably is!!!" I'm pretty certain the seller knew what his problem was, he just didn't want to deal with it. Anyway we found the problem, there's a case stuck in the chamber. It appears that the casing separated just in front of the belt and the rest of the casing is stuck inside of the chamber.

The friend came to me asking for my help, but I've never encountered a situation like this. Is there a stuck case removing tool made for this application, don't know what to do other than send the rifle to a gunsmith? Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed from here?

Last edited:
Ive done it a few ways but maybe not "gunsmith approved". normally, the case isn't stuck that firmly, just difficult to get ahold of. Ive used another fired case tapped inside the stuck one and then tap the case from the muzzle with a rod being careful of the crown. It might help to drip some kroil around the stuck case if its been there a while and let it set overnight. Once I used a drill bit just smaller than the brass where its its separated and twisted it in with a t
handle to grip it. Take great care with that one though for obvious reasons. It did work!
DO NOT try to drill it out but just use it as an easy out.

Used a 4 sided easy out once. tapped it into the case then turned it with a needle nose. half turn or so and the case came out.

Common gunsmith method is with Cerrosafe. Same procedure as making a chamber casting, the cerrosafe flows in front of the case mouth making a lip in front of the case, use a 1/4" hardwood dowel down the barrel to tap out the cerrosafe and the case comes out with it. Always nice to have cerrosafe on hand as you'll find uses for it, reusable.

Get real adventurous.....take a long piece of allthread and a few that baby in and pull it out like a stuck case in a resized.....
Only needs fo be a big as will tighten into the case neck.....and if you can pop it out that way use a wooden rod down the barrel....
"I have not done this myself".....

This sounds strange, but has worked for me several times at the range.
Take a loaded round, put it in the mag, or slip it under the extractor, and use the bolt to whack it inside the stuck case, this jams it in, and pulling the bolt brings the stuck case with it.
Another way is a 45 cal brush jammed in it from the breach end, when the bristles try to turn, they jam and pull the case out with ease.

Cheers.

Run it to a gunsmith, likely the headspace is off a tad too. Send it back to Sako....they have had a few of these

I have a friend who picked a Sako, Finnbear rifle in .300WinMag at a very good price. The previous owner could not chamber a cartridge, so he sold the rifle cheap!! This falls within the realms of "If it's too good to be, it probably is!!!" I'm pretty certain the seller knew what his problem was, he just didn't want to deal with it. Anyway we found the problem, there's a case stuck in the chamber. It appears that the casing separated just in front of the belt and the rest of the casing is stuck inside of the chamber.

The friend came to me asking for my help, but I've never encountered a situation like this. Is there a stuck case removing tool made for this application, don't know what to do other than send the rifle to a gunsmith? Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed from here?
Get an anchor bolt that has a similar size anchor as the inside of the shell; You may have to replace the bolt with a longer one; insert the anchor as far as it will go into the fired case; tighten the bolt to grip the shell; don't over tighten; insert a sturdy cleaning rod or dowel rod down the barrel an tap the stuck case out; you may have to tap hard, eh? That's how gun smiths do it. Some times you can remove a stuck shell case with an over size brass bore brush inserted from the muzzle but that probably won't work with one that has been in there a long time with people trying to put new rounds on top of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.