BULLET STUCK IN BBL in the field

hera200

I have seen references on this forum to getting a bullet stuck in the bbl when the bullet has been seated out to far into or touching the lands. I have never had this happen to me even though for many years I carried my BDL REM 22-250 in the field while searching for brave groundhogs that lived along railroad tracks out in the country. I always seated my silver tips touching the lands and never thought about getting a bullet dislodged and stuck. Maybe just lucky.The point of my post is to mention a technique that was brought to my attention a while back and get opinions on whether or not it works and would be a safe procedure. If no rod to dislodge a stuck bullet while hunting, remove a bullet from one of your spare rounds and trickle a small amount of powder into the chamber of the opened rifle. Now SPILL OUT THE REMAINING POWDER FROM THE CASING ONTO THE GROUND. Insert the EMPTY, live-primered ,CASING back into the chamber if it will fit. CLOSE the bolt and fire the rifle< This should dislodge the bullet to clear the end of the barrel. DOES THIS WORK?? Could save a hunt!.....BUD

I'd never try that .

I have one rifle that likes the bullet into the rifling . 90% of the time it will pull the bullet out of the case when ejected . how I hunt with this rifle is to not chamber a round until I have a shot . if I loose out on the shot opportunity I fire the the round off at the end of the day , to avoid getting the bullet stuck .

Hold maw beer.....imma giver a whirl...
Interesting responses--I know we always cleared stuck wads etc. with just the force of a primer in our shotguns( If no rod was available) but a bullet would be much harder to move. I cant really picture exactly what the pressure from the burning powder would or would not do. Thanks for the responses.....BUD

Personally wouldn't go with firing it out the muzzle. I do however like Edd's fix if I had to choose one, but I'd try to gently tap it out with a cleaning rod first. I saw a smith gently tap one out with ease once. Good luck 200.

Many years ago I decided to see how much power a primer has so I loaded a 22-250 case with a live primer and a 55 grain bullet with no powder. Out of the shed I went with the round and my rifle, I aimed it at the ground and pulled the trigger. To my amazement the bullet lodged about 3/4 of the way up the 24" barrel. It took a long brass rod and a ball peen hammer to get the bullet out the muzzle.

I have seen references on this forum to getting a bullet stuck in the bbl when the bullet has been seated out to far into or touching the lands. I have never had this happen to me even though for many years I carried my BDL REM 22-250 in the field while searching for brave groundhogs that lived along railroad tracks out in the country. I always seated my silver tips touching the lands and never thought about getting a bullet dislodged and stuck. Maybe just lucky.The point of my post is to mention a technique that was brought to my attention a while back and get opinions on whether or not it works and would be a safe procedure. If no rod to dislodge a stuck bullet while hunting, remove a bullet from one of your spare rounds and trickle a small amount of powder into the chamber of the opened rifle. Now SPILL OUT THE REMAINING POWDER FROM THE CASING ONTO THE GROUND. Insert the EMPTY, live-primered ,CASING back into the chamber if it will fit. CLOSE the bolt and fire the rifle< This should dislodge the bullet to clear the end of the barrel. DOES THIS WORK?? Could save a hunt!.....BUD

NO !!!!!
Don,t do it

If it got lodged from seating the bullet to long it can be taped out from the muzzle end very easy with a wooden dowel or a cleaning rod with a bore size brass jag with the tip ground flat or better yet slightly concave using a drill to put a counter sink. Another way is to use compressed air and a rubber stopper with a hole drilled in it and the air can be placed inside the barrel from the muzzle end with a blow gun and only 50+pounds of air. Never dislodge anything from the chamber end because it will only drive it farther in.

If you are not sure take it to a good smith.

J E CUSTOM

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.