BULLET STUCK IN BBL in the field

With a 22-250, you might not blow up your gun, but doing this might still bulge the barrel. It might also cause the brass to fail at the head of the casing and blow powder back into the bolt and your face. I think you got lucky. Don't do it with a heavy bullet. Don't do it any more anyway.
GREENEJC, Seems like maybe you got the impression that I had actually performed this operation before but that is not the case. At the beginning of this post, I had posed the question as to how workable it would actually be. The number of responses have been incredible to me and today, this post just continued where the last day left off. (DID not know it could do that) THANKS for your input....BUD

Just for the heck of it, that happened to a guy at the range luckily i had bought a couple brass cleaning rods at a show it was mostly the rods and not sure why but it felt good i had three different sizes and a light drop directly to the bullet it slowly came out didnt need another cleaning rod but you can always use it for something.

GREENEJC, Seems like maybe you got the impression that I had actually performed this operation before but that is not the case. At the beginning of this post, I had posed the question as to how workable it would actually be. The number of responses have been incredible to me and today, this post just continued where the last day left off. (DID not know it could do that) THANKS for your input....BUD
You're welcome. If it ever happens, Please, please, please err on the side of caution. I've seen soldiers get hurt because they blew MG's up like this, and M16's, too. You take care. And keep your powder dry.

I have seen references on this forum to getting a bullet stuck in the bbl when the bullet has been seated out to far into or touching the lands. I have never had this happen to me even though for many years I carried my BDL REM 22-250 in the field while searching for brave groundhogs that lived along railroad tracks out in the country. I always seated my silver tips touching the lands and never thought about getting a bullet dislodged and stuck. Maybe just lucky.The point of my post is to mention a technique that was brought to my attention a while back and get opinions on whether or not it works and would be a safe procedure. If no rod to dislodge a stuck bullet while hunting, remove a bullet from one of your spare rounds and trickle a small amount of powder into the chamber of the opened rifle. Now SPILL OUT THE REMAINING POWDER FROM THE CASING ONTO THE GROUND. Insert the EMPTY, live-primered ,CASING back into the chamber if it will fit. CLOSE the bolt and fire the rifle< This should dislodge the bullet to clear the end of the barrel. DOES THIS WORK?? Could save a hunt!.....BUD
NO!
If it is just stuck in the leads take a one piece cleaning rod and simply tap it out through the chamber.
If you fire a primed case it will just jam it deeper into the rifling, it will NOT push the bullet out of the BBL.

Why would the cartridge name have anything to do with it. If I did this with a 300 RUM I wouldn't "blow up my rifle" nothing unsafe about it. Same charge, same bullet. Some real geniuses on here.

A cleaning rod would be super easy IF was home or at my truck. In the field, it wasnt' an option. I wanted to keep hunting.

Why would the cartridge name have anything to do with it. If I did this with a 300 RUM I wouldn't "blow up my rifle" nothing unsafe about it. Same charge, same bullet. Some real geniuses on here.

A cleaning rod would be super easy IF was home or at my truck. In the field, it wasnt' an option. I wanted to keep hunting.
Not as easy with today's new vehicles but I have unscrewed an antenna tapped out a 22 250 bullet one time. David

Don't even do that. It will act just like a barrel obstruction and either bulge the barrel or blow the barrel. Its a great way to get killed or maimed. It may be a pain to remove the bullet, but you can always walk away afterward, whereas having a bolt blown back into your face or parts of your barrel lodge in you will ruin your whole day.
Don't even do that. It will act just like a barrel obstruction and either bulge the barrel or blow the barrel. Its a great way to get killed or maimed. It may be a pain to remove the bullet, but you can always walk away afterward, whereas having a bolt blown back into your face or parts of your barrel lodge in you will ruin your whole day.
Went back and edited. Meant to say wouldn't put a half load in because if it gets stuck further it would be hell getting out. Thanks for the follow up and catch. Spell check is garbage and fat fingers and smart phones are not too smart.

Just keep a good break down cleaning rod under the seat of your truck. I have a cheap kit with me everytime I'm out. Yes bullets get lodged rarely but when it does, it's easier to walk back to your truck then to head back to camp or town.

My son loaded some rounds a while back and didn't verify his powder before seating. One had no powder and it lodged in the barrel. Thank god he had the common sense handle the situation before he did something stupid a blow him and the gun up.

The idea of trying to force a stuck bullet out using rifle powder or even a primer gives me the heebie-jeebies. The "best thing/worst thing" analysis would seem to apply.

Best case possibility:
The bullet clears out of the barrel. No one gets hurt and the rifle is not damaged.

Worst case possibility.
A KABOOM that destroys the rifle and maims or kills one or more people.

Several years ago I loaded a .280 Rem cartridge in my .338WM in the dark. Lined up on a 5x6 bull at 100 yards and squeezed the trigger. No damage to the rifle but the bull walked off, in no particular hurry. Killed it with my buddy's rifle after I found the case would not extract. (A good thing as it turns out as I would have just shoved anther .280 Rem cartridge in, not realizing the problem.) Ended up waiting until I could get a cleaning rod to kick the case out That is when I discovered the problem.

About a year ago I was working on a Jenning .25ACP that had been given to a SIL. (Talk about a ***, but that is a different issue.) I was told it had a bullet stuck in the barrel and he hadn't fired it. I ended up disassembling the pistol and using a pin punch to clear the barrel. It took a LOT of hard hammering on the punch to do so. Once cleared I took a look at what had been in the barrel. Not one, not two but THREE bullets. Clearly, firing another round down the barrel was not sufficient to clear it.

Last edited:
this is a great way to take a situation fixed by 20 min looking for a thin stick and make it a full blown squib that ruins a hunt

Its not that hard to push a bullet back out of the lands.

Didn't Fred Sinclair get sued and lose because a "customer" tried to tap a stuck loaded round out and it detonated sending the case out thru the bolt area where it struck his wife in the heart and killed her?

You guys amaze me. IF you still a bullet into the lands and pull the case off. You simply clean the powder out if it spilled, pull a bullet and CAREFULLY chamber the case with a full charge of powder which will go back over the bullet and be essentially the same as what you started with except you will know not to open the bolt again.

Seriously, some of you would put a stick down your barrel?? And when the stick breaks, then what? A cleaning rod in the truck?? I always have a bore tech cleaning rod under the seat but that is "In the truck" I am "In the field", I might not be able to walk back to the truck without ruining my hunt.

I have done it at least 6 or 7 times in my life. In each case I was able to do exactly as described with perfect results, in at least one instance, shooting a deer.

On opening day this year my hunting buddy went to chamber a round for the days hunt. Wouldn't you know there was a stuck case from us sighting in a week ago. On that day we could not find the ejected at that time. We found out at the worst time with out a cleaning rod. We used a tent pole that with the ends cut off we tapped out the case. .270 pole did it .

You guys amaze me. IF you still a bullet into the lands and pull the case off. You simply clean the powder out if it spilled, pull a bullet and CAREFULLY chamber the case with a full charge of powder which will go back over the bullet and be essentially the same as what you started with except you will know not to open the bolt again.

Seriously, some of you would put a stick down your barrel?? And when the stick breaks, then what? A cleaning rod in the truck?? I always have a bore tech cleaning rod under the seat but that is "In the truck" I am "In the field", I might not be able to walk back to the truck without ruining my hunt.

I have done it at least 6 or 7 times in my life. In each case I was able to do exactly as described with perfect results, in at least one instance, shooting a deer.
In the lands and in the barrel 2 different things. IMOP If I got a bullet stuck in the lands that means I screwed up somewhere in the reloading process. Which was twice in 30 years. Once was seating depth and once a new case lube fowler the powder lodged it 1/3 the lenghth of the barrel.
IMOP its time to stop and check my bullets and fix the issue before I end up like my buddy that blew half his hand off.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts