round stuck in barrel

remingtonman_25_06

I was in the process of loading up some 210g VLD's for my Rem 700 300 RUM and came into a bit of a problem. I loaded them out to 3.9" to start to see if they would fit in the gun and so I tried to close the bolt and it would not close all the way. So I figured I would take it out and seat it down to 3.850" if it did not fit. Well the bolt is completely stuck, it wont go down or up at all. Its locked at the last little bit. Im not really sure what to do, but I'm gonna be in big trouble because I tried to stick it in my dads RUM since our guns are the same. So the main problem is I have a round stuck in my dads gun and the bolts not budging one bit. What will a gunsmith have to do to get it out?? Is it a big process? I am so mad right now. Just a stupid mistake, I still have a case stuck in my 25-06 at the moment also. Not having good luck lately. Any help is appreciated.

Is the bolt handle indexed all the way down as it would be in the shooting position? Or almost all the way up as it would be just before you would manually pull the bolt back to eject the round if it were not stuck?

If the round is live, do not put anything in that barrel. If you are at home, create a makeshift bullet trap with 3 ft. of magazines and newspapers, and whatever you do, keep the barrel pointed at that trap.

It probably should be said that determining seating depth should be done with a dummy round (no primer, no powder), to avoid a very dangerous situation, such as yours if you have a live round in the chamber.

The bolt is just barely closed. In other words, it is almost all the way up. It is not closed or in the shooting position. It would not let me close it. The round has no powder and no primer. It is a dummy round.

Pull harder or use a rubber hammer. The worst that can happen is you pull the handle off and then you can get a tactical one installed. I had the same thing happen with my 300 win mag. Just reafed on it. I thought the handle would come off at anytime but it opened and I crushed my finger against the scope. The bullet was left in the barrel but it came out easily with a cleaning rod. Good luck.

If it's just "barely closed" how can it be all the way up???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Id say the bolt went down 1/8" or 1/4" but thats it. Wouldn't budge either way. I took a rubber mallet to it as one recomended and I came out on top. Thank goodness for the replys. I just had to beat the handle up the little bit that it had to go, and then I had to beat it backwards, as if I was working the bolt. The round came out anyways so I am happy camper.

Rule #1

NEVER...."fondle"....another mans toy!

Maybe Dad...won't give you an *** kickin!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ha ha ha, yah no kiddin. I think I might have gotten one if I hadn't gotten the round out. My rifle was in my room and I did not feel like getting up to go get it, my dads rifle is the same Rem 700 LSS. I just wanted to see if the dang shell would fit in his gun, cuz if it did then it would fit in mine. Ah well, like I said, I'm just really glad it came out alright. I dont think I broke anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<<cuz if it did then it would fit in mine.>>

Maybe.....maybe not! All chambers are different and it only takes a "smidgen" difference to make the "cheese more binding!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pull harder or use a rubber hammer. The worst that can happen is you pull the handle off and then you can get a tactical one installed. I had the same thing happen with my 300 win mag. Just reafed on it. I thought the handle would come off at anytime but it opened and I crushed my finger against the scope. The bullet was left in the barrel but it came out easily with a cleaning rod. Good luck.
I agree. You should be able to tap that bolt handle with a rubber mallet to get it to open up.