Sako rifle and a stuck case in the chamber

Common gunsmith method is with Cerrosafe. Same procedure as making a chamber casting, the cerrosafe flows in front of the case mouth making a lip in front of the case, use a 1/4" hardwood dowel down the barrel to tap out the cerrosafe and the case comes out with it. Always nice to have cerrosafe on hand as you'll find uses for it, reusable.

+1. This method is fairly easy to do, and it has worked for me in the past! Run a patch on a cleaning rod in from the muzzle end to act as a stopper, pour in the Cerrosafe from the breach (no need to fill the entire chamber). Let it cool, then tap the rod lightly to pop out the case. Now, just reheat the case filled with Cerrosafe, and you've got Cerrosafe for the next time...

What about getting some freeze off it's a liquid spray that is very very cold and may contract the brass enough to just fall out...using another method that might grip or assist in pushing the case out may help at the same time.

Darrell

I had my .338 Lapua with a stuck case after firing the bullet into the head of a bull elk at 520 years. I was with a gunsmith type guide and hunter, He managed to lock on to it with the bolt and unjammed it. The problem was the cheap ammo someone gave me. I did put the calipers on the casing and it had grown too much. I would not recommend Sellier and Belot. Maybe once was good from the Czech Republic, but now made in Brazil. Normally I use the Vihtavuori rounds. Will soon be reloading my own.

Easiest and cheapest way is to close your bolt. Then take little pieces of toilet paper and roll them up and drop down the tube. After you get a couple take your cleaning rod and smash them into the case. Repeat this process until 1/4 to 1/2 the case is full. After you have compacted it down remove the bolt and put your air compressor to the muzzle. Aim in a safe direction because the one I did launched out pretty good.

Grab a 20ga bore brush and shove it up into the chamber till the brush is inside the throat. Pull it back out and you'll come back with a front half of a casing too.
I accept thanks in the form of beer. FYI.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have seen my shooting buddy do this on several occasions. Worked every time on his Weatherby cases.
Why he continues to experience case head separation is another story all together.

I like the Cero-Safe comment, but in a pinch put a 3/8" to 1/2" wood dowel in the ruptured case with some super glue to adhere it to the inside of the case then twist and it normally comes out. an old rifle-smith told me that one. I have used it several times on stuck/ruptured, separated cases in AK's, Mosin's, and a bolt action or two.

First and foremost a great thank you to all of the forum members for their great solutions to this problem of the stuck case. The case was really stuck in the chamber, but.....we did get it out. We first tried to get a broken case remover from Brownells, but they were out of stock and were "supposed" to have been in at the end of October but were not. The next try was using a piece of threaded rod, but that only stripped out! Tried the drill bit, it sort of bit into the case, but the case would not budge and we were afraid of damaging the chamber, so that one got abandoned. The cleaning brushes that we had were not quite big enough and again the case did not move. Then we tried the CerraSafe, and.....that one worked out after two attempts. Again a bit thanks to all of the great suggestions in the replies. For me this is what makes this forum so great, all the members who are here to share their experiences and knowledge!

glad to hear it's fixed... I usually use a wood paddle bit and a bit of penetrating oil to loosen things up to start with- I have used a 37 cal rifle brush down a 7mm hole too...... Nowadays I just toss my belted brass a bit earlier...

I have a friend who picked a Sako, Finnbear rifle in .300WinMag at a very good price. The previous owner could not chamber a cartridge, so he sold the rifle cheap!! This falls within the realms of "If it's too good to be, it probably is!!!" I'm pretty certain the seller knew what his problem was, he just didn't want to deal with it. Anyway we found the problem, there's a case stuck in the chamber. It appears that the casing separated just in front of the belt and the rest of the casing is stuck inside of the chamber.

The friend came to me asking for my help, but I've never encountered a situation like this. Is there a stuck case removing tool made for this application, don't know what to do other than send the rifle to a gunsmith? Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed from here?
Real easy way is to get some Dry Ice or turn a compress air can upside down and pour down the barrell. The Brass will shrink faster and more than the Steel. Just tap it out with a ramrod and hammer.

I have a friend who picked a Sako, Finnbear rifle in .300WinMag at a very good price. The previous owner could not chamber a cartridge, so he sold the rifle cheap!! This falls within the realms of "If it's too good to be, it probably is!!!" I'm pretty certain the seller knew what his problem was, he just didn't want to deal with it. Anyway we found the problem, there's a case stuck in the chamber. It appears that the casing separated just in front of the belt and the rest of the casing is stuck inside of the chamber.

The friend came to me asking for my help, but I've never encountered a situation like this. Is there a stuck case removing tool made for this application, don't know what to do other than send the rifle to a gunsmith? Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed from here?
You can get an actual stuck case removal tool from Brownells, about $10

I had a stuck case in my resizer.....put it in freezer...for days....did not come apart....had fo drill it out....just be careful not to go all the way thru the case...just enough to pop sections loose....the neck was the first piece fo break loose....body took more coaxing.....

BasilPascalli said "I had my .338 Lapua with a stuck case after firing the bullet into the head of a bull elk at 520 years."

THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE LONGEST SHOT EVER.........what magnification was the scope.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.