seperated case stuck in chamber

I had this happen with a 7mag.I just ran a tight fitting patch from the muzzle end and it came out pretty easy.

I think an oversize bronze brush or a bore snake would be a good place to start with a bottle-neck case. The case I had stuck was straight-walled (.40 S&W). That's a different issue, and that's why I used epoxy resin. I had tried a bronze brush and it did not remove the case.

OP talked about fire-forming a case, but didn't say what caliber. I presume it is a bottle-neck cartridge (who fire-forms a straight-walled cartridge?), and I also presume he was using a reduced load of fast-burning powder. These might result in a different situation from what many of us have experienced shooting old cartridges.

Put some Kroil or Hoppes 9 down the bore and add some from the breach if you can. IF pushing a tight fitting brush from the muzzle down doesn't remove it get a case out (broken Shell Extractor) from Brownelles, costs about 20 bucks, or take it to a gunsmith. I have seen some massively screwed up chambers and bores from guys trying to remove a stuck case.

p_080000441_1.jpg

Hi guys need info. on getting case out of chamber top 3/4 stuck trying to fire form a case to hot of a load.
Take some epoxy, the type you cut a slice off with a knife, and knead with your fingers. Stuff enough into the remaining case and let harden. Some people will push foam ear plug first into the neck, but you really don't need to as this type of epoxy is not runny, it is more of a clay consistency. Then take a cleaning rod insert in the muzzle and case will tap right out. I have had that happen but it was always from reloading case too many times and case gets really thin about 1/4 way up case.

Do NOT stick expoxy into your chamber. There is a real good change you will end up with some that is not in the actual case and that stuff is the devils own to get off. If it ends up behind the case it also makes the case removal WAY more difficult. The idea of using Cerakote also doesn't work if you understand the steps needed to do a Cerakote casting properly, plus it is way more work than is needed for a simple extraction of a broken case. Guys need to have successfully done a case removal and used the fix rather than recomending stuff they read about or thought up as might work well. 99.9% of stuck cases will come out perfectly easy with a Broken case remover and probably 85% will come out first try with a cleaning brush. Spend the 20 bucks and save yourself a ton of grief.

Last edited:
Take some epoxy, the type you cut a slice off with a knife, and knead with your fingers. Stuff enough into the remaining case and let harden. Some people will push foam ear plug first into the neck, but you really don't need to as this type of epoxy is not runny, it is more of a clay consistency. Then take a cleaning rod insert in the muzzle and case will tap right out. I have had that happen but it was always from reloading case too many times and case gets really thin about 1/4 way up case.
all methods above failed me, but this worked. I did use the earplug to make sure nothing got into the barrel. the epoxy i used was jb weld. worked great.

I use an ease-out fitted onto a 1/4" drive socket and extension that fits into the case neck. Just a light twist as it tightens where the shoulder meets the neck will generally break it loose

Hi guys need info. on getting case out of chamber top 3/4 stuck trying to fire form a case to hot of a load.
Take stock and scope off gun and put the barrel in a deep freeze. Leave it in there for a day or 2. Brass shrinks as it gets cold. Pull it out and put a cleaning rod through it. Should pop right out. Worked great for my AR

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.