Seperated head/case help

Freebore

Well they there is a first time for everything. I've seperated a 8mm/30 case from its head breaking in a barrel this morning. It was older brass loaded with H870 91gr and 180 speer spitzer. I had fired 5/1 then 3, 3 and was started on first of the next 5 rounds when it happened. I had trashed the fired brass after each session as I knew it was close to EOL but didn't expect this.
I would like to know the correct way to remove the stuck casing. Any special tooling required?

[ QUOTE ]
Well they there is a first time for everything. I've seperated a 8mm/30 case from its head breaking in a barrel this morning. It was older brass loaded with H870 91gr and 180 speer spitzer. I had fired 5/1 then 3, 3 and was started on first of the next 5 rounds when it happened. I had trashed the fired brass after each session as I knew it was close to EOL but didn't expect this.
I would like to know the correct way to remove the stuck casing. Any special tooling required?

[/ QUOTE ] Use a ruptured cartridge case extractor. I believe Forrester still makes them. Check Brownell's.

take a too big bronze bristle brush (new 30 cal should actually work)...insert thru breech till it is in the bore just a little, then revers and pop it backwards

the bristles will dig instead of reversing like nylon, and should grab the severed case half and pull it out.

maybe also try inverting a can of compressed air and hit the case with the liquid CO2 that comes out -- case may fall out.

JB

Thanks for the info replies. The new 30 brush didn't work. Maybe the can of air beside the computer will work, if not the off to the gun shops. I'll check into getting the proper removal tool if a local gun shop doesn't have one to remove the stuck, broken, seperated casing. Patience is a virtue. My 'smith is out of town,ah.

Take an empty case of the same caliber apply small ammount of loctite on case and insert into stuck case being careful not to get loctite everywhere.Let it dry for several hours
and take long rod and drive both cases out, works great.Don't be a tight wad like me and this problem will go away!

[ QUOTE ]
take a too big bronze bristle brush (new 30 cal should actually work)...insert thru breech till it is in the bore just a little, then revers and pop it backwards

the bristles will dig instead of reversing like nylon, and should grab the severed case half and pull it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

JBs method is what I have used in the past. Had a complete cae seperation on my brother inlaws 303british enfield. used a 8mm bronze bore brush, twist in untill you are just past the case neck with the end of the brush (the end front of the brush, not the back where the rod attaches) and twist out. ought to come out pretty easy.

sniper2
We just loctited the cases. A 35 rem seemed to fit nicely. Let you know in about 4 hours. Sounds like it should work well. You have obviously encounted this issue before.
The freezing with CO2 didn't get it. Used a whole can of keyboard cleaner, just turned it upside down.
Spoke to a guy this morning in auto supply (where I purchased loctite)he shot competion, he swore by the brush method. I told him I tried every brush I had from 50 cal to the 30. Like you said just can't get enough bite on that big case.

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Mission acomplished!! Three taps with the cleaning rod out the chamber it came! That loctite method is a wonderful idea. I will file that one! Should have gone to the all night parts store. Didn't sleep anyhow. Thanks sniper2!

Freebore you are going to make the brush and removal tool salespersons mad with your last post. We have used this loctite method on several occasions with success.Good luck and good shooting!

Did you know there are people in this world that have taken ruptured case extractors and inletted them into butt-stocks, so that they did not worry about having this happen to them on a hunt. Hard to believe huh, that anyone could ever think it could happen to them on a hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That's a very good solution with the Loctite. I only had one case head separation, and I was in southern Utah, on a hunt.

The stuck case was a 25'06 Ackley, my first one. I had another rifle, a 6MM Remington and decided to jamb a fired case inside the stuck case with the bolt, and really pounded it in as far as I could. Then, I rapped the bolt handle and it all came out.

Didn't actually do me much good because I was afraid to use the gun, after that. It was once fire formed brass, and turned out my fears were well founded, excessive headspace.

But, the method did work, in a pinch, even though the bolt didn't get anywhere near closing, maybe a 243 might have worked a little better?

Another time, I had a live round stay in the chamber, with a deformed rim, no matter how many times I opened and closed the bolt, it just had a couple beat up edges and wouldn't extract.

I was able to use a cleaning rod, unscrewing the tip, and pushed the bullet partway into the case. Then, I filled the whole bore with WD40 and let it sit to deactivate the primer. Yes, I was 600 miles from home in northern NV. Later that day, and with the bolt removed, I pounded the cleaning rod with a little more authority and popped the case out. <whew>

Good hunting. LB

I went out last night, purchased 100 new brass and spent most of today preping cases. I just couldn't imagine that happening on hunt. The new barrel is for an upcoming hunt in Idaho for elk and deer in Oct/Nov. I plan on taking it to the Artic first for a LR caribou 4th week of Aug.
I'm just suprised at the differance in the chambers old from new. The old brass had to be fully resized to fit. The 'smith told me he had not a wobble on the .0000 mike after he cut that chamber and that is what made the difference. He said that is was one of the truest barrels/chambers he has cut in a big mag.
We'll see what happens on paper. This heat is a big hinderance here in Pa. to work loads. Maybe get an 1 or 2 hours in the am at the range we can sho0t at 7. I'll just have to got into work late. Heck usually end up there late anyhow.
It is really great to have a place like this to go and get
the help. Thanks.!

THERE IS A VERY SIMPLE; EFFECTIVE AND CHEAP WAY...

Just use a Fischer #10 and an appropiate screw and a long screwdriver.

1) Insert the Fischer with the screw into the chamber
2) Screw in just a few turns
3) Pull out the Fischer...and the case!

100% efective

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.