Hearing Protection in the field?

I have used several different kinds of hearing protection in the last 10 to 20 years. The main protection I've worn the past 10 years has been Howard Leight's Sport Impacts but for rifle and shotguns, muffs get in the way.

I have been shopping uhh, researching in ear electronic options for awhile. I was at a pistol class a few weeks ago and a gentleman there had spoke highly of his Walker Game Ear HD's. I asked about wearing safety glasses with the Walkers behind the ear. Looks like they would be in the way of wearing glasses but he said no problems at all and the price is not too bad.

I decided to go with SportEAR after a long conversation with them about what my needs and wants are. I shoot rifles more than pistol or shotgun and yes rifles are louder too. I wanted magnum rifle protection, in ear molded for all day comfort, and low cost on the batteries. SportEAR even setup my appointment for the ear molds to be made. I had my hearing tested while I was there. Now I have a baseline on my hearing. I am a firearms instructor and plan to have regular tests done to monitor for hearing loss.

So far I am very pleased with SportEAR and the option they recommended to me. I paid $720 for them. If these don't work out, I'll have to get insurance to help out on the upper level options.$$

Protect your hearing while you still can!

Aright I wasn't quite sure where to post this thread but I think it doesn't matter too much.

So this last Saturday I was out calling yotes and I had something I never experienced before. I took a crack with my AR (.223) and it like popped my left ear drum! It rang for quite a bit and still today, 3 days later it's messed up. I don't know what happened but I don't like it and thought maybe I should look into using hearing protection while hunting too.

So what are some of the electronic ear plugs or other types that you guy's have had success with? Which ones seem to work best at allowing you to hear like normal until decibel levels reach unsafe levels?
I was looking for ear protection that I could hunt with needing some amplification to make up for hearing loss.

I bought the Etymotic GunsportPRO after reading this thread. It has 2 modes that you change with a little toggle switch. Normal hearing mode I would say was just slightly less than without the plugs. So my hearing was worst. On amplification mode it is 5x normal hearing! I'm primarily a still hunter and there is no way I could hunt with these. The crunching of gravel and leaves, birds, jets flying over, etc. was just way too much. Maybe if you were just sitting in the stand it would work but you would still hear your breathing. I returned them.

I bought the Sound Gear instant fit shooter version. One came apart first time I removed it from the silicon sleeve. I suspect it was never put together correctly at the factory. Sound Gear imediately sent a replacement, so good job Sound Gear.

These amplify just slightly from my normal hearing so I actually hear slightly better with them in, which is good. Everything sounds pretty normal just barely louder. They are small and comfortable and I'm looking forward to trying them in a week for deer hunting and will report back.

Both could benefit with a volume control but those come at a higher price point.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.