Hearing Protection in the field?

I have several pairs of electronic headphones...walkers...
A question to you that have same...
When you shoot..does your headphone turnoff so to speak...or does it cancel the shot sound by emitting another noise...
Mine emits another noise...almost as bad as hearing the shot itself..

Both my Walker Silencer and Sound Gear turn off or actually may best be described and dialing the volume down.

I have 4 pair (all Walkers), and they ALL shut off when the gun goes off. I can hear talking or other normal sounds, and if I turn up the volume, the talking and other sounds are louder, but when the gun goes off, there is no sound coming through them.

I have several pairs of electronic headphones...walkers...
A question to you that have same...
When you shoot..does your headphone turnoff so to speak...or does it cancel the shot sound by emitting another noise...
Mine emits another noise...almost as bad as hearing the shot itself..

Yours have active noise cancellation. Sounds like (no pun intended) they may be broken and/or slightly out of phase or timing with the stimulus.

Well...active is a worthwhile word to use....because if most have no noise other than muffled gunfire...mine aren't working correctly...
Guess I better send word to Walkers and see what they have to say about them....
Thx guys...

Well...active is a worthwhile word to use....because if most have no noise other than muffled gunfire...mine aren't working correctly...
Guess I better send word to Walkers and see what they have to say about them....
Thx guys...

Please let us know? My current paradigm is to shoot suppressed, but my buddies all don't, so I've been considering some electronic stuff for recreational work (already so kitted out for work).

I contacted GoodSportsmansMarketing Outdoors(GSM) WalkersGameEars)...and they said the noise during the shot or anything loud enough to set off the odd noise in my set is probably due to a short in electronics.....they were willing to give me a discount if I purchased a new set of something from them...
Oh well....I don't want to spend money on a new set right now...just keep them turned off while shooting....

I contacted GoodSportsmansMarketing Outdoors(GSM) WalkersGameEars)...and they said the noise during the shot or anything loud enough to set off the odd noise in my set is probably due to a short in electronics.....they were willing to give me a discount if I purchased a new set of something from them...
Oh well....I don't want to spend money on a new set right now...just keep them turned off while shooting....

That's good to know... Not sure I'd buy a set of Walkers if their answer to a short that causes a malfunction is to enable you to buy more product from them..

300whisper...those read like excellent phones....but much like the guy that wrote the review....a mouse fart...that's about how much I want to spend on more headphones right now....thx

Bbckfh...I contacted them mainly to find out about the squelch noise...not too much on replacing them...but for the age of mine..and figure a lot of people deceive them to get full replacement..it didn't surprise me with an offer they gave...now if they had been the price of the peltors that 300whisper pays for his...hell yeah I would want them replaced.....

Len and I have been personally using SoundGear electronic ear plugs for about 5 years now and absolutely love them. They are similar to the ones mentioned above and you can leave them in comfortably all day so you are always protected.

It's now hard for me to imagine doing any type of gun hunting without them.
I bought a pair last year. My hearing is maybe 50% due to all the reasons I should of had hearing protection years ago.. I had a production body collision repair shop for 40 years. I insisted my techs always have ear protection so they didn't have hearing loss like me. I ordered the enhanced version of Sound Gear. They work good enough for my hearing loss issues and protect my hearing when the report of my rifles are there. I have very small ear canals. Sound Gear provides just the right size for me to be comfortable. Don't wait till your hearing is bad to protect them. It's a guy thing I guess. Tinnitus is a serious problem that never goes away. Get the best protection you can afford before it's too late. My two cents.

I tried Howard lites but they are frustrating for long time periods and rifle shooting for me. I enjoy them for pistol target practice.

Currently I have a pair of the removable reusable plastic plugs hat have a cord I just keep around my neck. Pretty simple to ninja them into my ears for shots.

i hope to drop the cash for sound gears next year. Unlike deer and stalking elk I think the turkeys in a couple weeks aren't going to put up with my arm movements to put in plugs.

Jmcmath, you might want to look at swapping out the ear cup cushions on your Howard Lights with after-market silicone gel cushions. They are available on eBay. They are thinner, but seal as well or better than the original ear cushions and, are much more comfortable. I have them on both pairs that I own.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.