BULLET STUCK IN BBL in the field

And that is why I always have cleaning rod in my gun case "just in case." AND if I ever need to use it, I will remove the bolt, again, "just in case."

I always chamber every round for hunting before I go. Never load hunting rounds into the lands! Work up a load that works OFF the lands. The method described sounds as if it could build unsafe pressure or detonation. Good Luck

I don't see how the powder would rest just in the base of the bullet, seems it would fill in along the bullet and never ignite. Actually it seems hard to believe that a bullet would be so loose in the case to get pulled out but somehow tight enough to stick in the lands without getting shoved into the case.

Last edited:
Hydraulic pressure will work. Most of us go to the field with some water. Fill the barrel from the muzzle end, find a stick of the correct diameter, strike with a rock and the bullet will come out. You will need to give the gun a good cleaning but it is not any worse than hunting in a snowstorm or pouring rain.
Personally I take two rifle on any hunting trip just to make sure I don't lose a hunting trip to a weapon malfunction.

For a bullet just stuck in the lands, it may not matter but definitely do NOT us a wood dowel to tap out a stuck bullet. The end of the dowel can very easily deform and imbed itself around the bullet (especially a boat tail from the rear or any pointed bullet from the front) making the obstruction even worse. Brass rod or other metal with a tip close to bore size is the best route. Honestly a simple 4 piece rod with a couple patches should be in everyone's hunting pack to clear an accidental barrel plug from sticking in mud or snow.

I think we just had a post that was about what blew up my rifle on this site and some replies were about under charged rounds and pressure spikes caused by them . I think I will leave it to those that do it for a living or have more experience to teach me the best way to solve this dilemma .

I have seen references on this forum to getting a bullet stuck in the bbl when the bullet has been seated out to far into or touching the lands. I have never had this happen to me even though for many years I carried my BDL REM 22-250 in the field while searching for brave groundhogs that lived along railroad tracks out in the country. I always seated my silver tips touching the lands and never thought about getting a bullet dislodged and stuck. Maybe just lucky.The point of my post is to mention a technique that was brought to my attention a while back and get opinions on whether or not it works and would be a safe procedure. If no rod to dislodge a stuck bullet while hunting, remove a bullet from one of your spare rounds and trickle a small amount of powder into the chamber of the opened rifle. Now SPILL OUT THE REMAINING POWDER FROM THE CASING ONTO THE GROUND. Insert the EMPTY, live-primered ,CASING back into the chamber if it will fit. CLOSE the bolt and fire the rifle< This should dislodge the bullet to clear the end of the barrel. DOES THIS WORK?? Could save a hunt!.....BUD
I know a builder in TX. This procedure is exactly what he recommends, but do not dump anything. You need a full charge to expel your round.

I know a builder in TX. This procedure is exactly what he recommends, but do not dump anything. You need a full charge to expel your round.

Think of the Schuetzen game. This is where you either breech or muzzle load your projectile into the lands, followed by a loaded case. Would this be much different?

There is a tool for nearly every job!
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...s/sinclair-bullet-drop-rod-set-prod33852.aspx
Most reloader's have had a stuck bullet at some point in his or her life.
An inexpensive tool is a drop rod made by Sinclair and if you ever need more than a drop rod bring it to a gunsmith.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

I've used this rod many times if they are "not" squib loads fire deeper into the barrel, it works great for rounds that were just chambered and stuck.

I just didn't want you to ruin a good barrel or hurt your self. I have fixed a few rifles that this happened in and I am in the process of replacing a great barrel in one that was not properly done And even though he didn't hurt him self, He is sick from doing it and ruining a 1/10 MOA barrel.

I will just make a comment that will probably insult some, but hear goes. I wish that others that have not done gunsmithing would leave the comments of how to do something that they have never done before to the folks that have. I know they mean well but no good can come from bad or inexperienced recommendations. I don't consider myself an expert on anything and try to comment only on things that I have had experiences with and keep it To my self if it can be dangerous if I have not, and hope someone that does have the experience steps up and lets all of us know the proper way to do something.

Don't know you BUD, but I don't want you or any other member to ruin a good barrel or hurt themselves If I can prevent it.

Apparently the message was good and clear, but the delivery was not. Sorry

J E CUSTOM
J E I thought the delivery was just fine! THANKS.....BUD

I have seen references on this forum to getting a bullet stuck in the bbl when the bullet has been seated out to far into or touching the lands. I have never had this happen to me even though for many years I carried my BDL REM 22-250 in the field while searching for brave groundhogs that lived along railroad tracks out in the country. I always seated my silver tips touching the lands and never thought about getting a bullet dislodged and stuck. Maybe just lucky.The point of my post is to mention a technique that was brought to my attention a while back and get opinions on whether or not it works and would be a safe procedure. If no rod to dislodge a stuck bullet while hunting, remove a bullet from one of your spare rounds and trickle a small amount of powder into the chamber of the opened rifle. Now SPILL OUT THE REMAINING POWDER FROM THE CASING ONTO THE GROUND. Insert the EMPTY, live-primered ,CASING back into the chamber if it will fit. CLOSE the bolt and fire the rifle< This should dislodge the bullet to clear the end of the barrel. DOES THIS WORK?? Could save a hunt!.....BUD
Sorry Hera:::I'm with KY Carl >>Would not do that,too risky!!

I bought a case of 1000 sub-sonic .300 Whisper reloads from a "re-manufacturer" in Phoenix who was advertising on GunBroker. They were loaded with 220 grain SMKs (an expensive bullet) Shot a few that worked just fine, then tried unloading the gun without finishing a magazine at the end of the day. When I pulled the bolt open I got a bunch of loose powder in the action and a piece of primed brass. The bullet was stuck in the lands. I had a cleaning rod and was able to drop it lightly from the muzzle end and the bullet came out. I went home and cleaned the rifle. The next time I went shooting the same thing happened. It finally dawned on me to check the overall cartridge lengths on the rest of the case. The bullets were seated at all different depths. I ran all of the over length ones through my bullet seater. I had to pull some of the short ones and re-seat them.

DON'T EVER TRY TO SHOOT A STUCK BULLET OR PATCH OUT OF A GUN BARREL!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.