Build a custom rifle or get a Fierce?

Or you could go with the guys @ APR Rifles…They have the maverick or altitude rifles in your price range…I've had them build me 2 different rifles. One is a Ranger in 6.5 PRC and the other is a Altitude in 6 creed…Both will shot .5 moa.They also keep built rifles in stock on the website..Might find what your looking for there without the long wait for your build.
Just checked out their website, they look like they do a really nice job, build with quality components, and have extremely reasonable prices.

I was in the same position when considering a 6.5 PRC. Went to Cabelas and handled the Fierce Rivals and they just didn't "speak" to me. For the money I felt I could do better.

Called up Alamo Precision and spec'd out what I wanted, received good advice on the build, and 3 months later I had my new rifle. Basically a Maverick with a 20" barrel to run suppressed and the Anti action to save a little weight. Very, very pleased with the result and came in right around 3 grand. Bare gun was 6lb, 11 oz and I didn't use a carbon fiber barrel.

In retrospect if I were to buy a factory gun I'd go Seekins. But I'm so happy with the APR. Zero regrets. Now I'm thinking about my next APR build.

@fnlights we have defiance 300 PRC pre-fits headed our way today - along with defiance anti-x long action magnums coming next month.

Pair those up with a hawkins bottom metal and mesa precision stock, you have one heck of a capable rifle at a very affordable price point with the components you are getting!

Good to know about the Rivals, I did not know there were so many issues with them. What are they? If that is the case, a Carbon Edge comes in closer to that custom price. @CrickBottom - what caliber is your Edge and did you order it directly from Fierce?
I have two of the Fierce firearms. One is the Edge in .280 Ackley and the other is the Edge Carbon in 6.5 PRC. I believe I spoke with Shannon on the PRC, called him and it was at my ffl in a week. The rival has extractor issues heavy bolt lift da da da. Both of mine are shooters. Carried my .280 all over Montana last fall, I believe It was right at 8 pounds with a Leupold vx-hd6 3x18x44 sitting on top. I believe it will do everything the 28 Nosler will as well. Easier on the consumables at the press, longer barrel life. Rifles are like an old Harley pick something and get your add ons.

Where and how do you hunt elk?

That should drive cartridge and rifle choice among other selections.

A rig suitable for the west slope of the Cascades is a poor fit for the High Plains or Alpine Meadows in the Rockys.

I do handload. I have plenty of 30 cal bullets from 168gr to 215 gr. I have heard the 7mm bullets are very hard to find, another reason I was hesitant on the 28N.
no problem with bullets, just call hammer. i have all kind of guns in all calibers pretty much. my 28 is fabulous! but my favorite go to gun is winchester mid 70 in 300 wsm. nothing stock on it though.

Good to know about the Rivals, I did not know there were so many issues with them. What are they? If that is the case, a Carbon Edge comes in closer to that custom price. @CrickBottom - what caliber is your Edge and did you order it directly from Fierce?
The biggest problems I'm seeing, is issues with the chambers. Cases sticking in the chamber, ammo not being able to be chambered. It's almost like they're cutting their chambers with worn out reamers or something. There's just way too many better Rem 700 clones out there to choose a fierce.

My Fierce is a standard Fury in 300rum. I bought it from cabelas on sale for $1599 in 2018. My buddy bought the same exact gun shortly after.

The biggest problems I'm seeing, is issues with the chambers. Cases sticking in the chamber, ammo not being able to be chambered. It's almost like they're cutting their chambers with worn out reamers or something. There's just way too many better Rem 700 clones out there to choose a fierce.

My Fierce is a standard Fury in 300rum. I bought it from cabelas on sale for $1599. My buddy bought the same exact gun shortly after.
That rival has been a thorn multiple issues, but my Edges with that enhanced Sako action are zero problems, highly accurate rifles. That action is glass.

In my rival the chamber is definitely tight. I resize and bump the shoulder back a bit more than usual. Solved that issue but I could see frustration with factory ammo.

We have a carbon rival in 28 Nosler and it is amazing. No issues at all. Shooting 195 Berger's well within the .50 guarantee. Has shot most groups under .30. Seems like issues I've seen the most have been people running factory ammo?? My son dropped a bear at 840 yards a couple weeks ago with it - fourth animal within a year for the fierce. Completely satisfied with it so far.

Skip the 1/2 moa warranty unless the manufacturers willing to guarantee your specific load. I'd go 30 cal.

I have 2 custom rifles that are rack drivers…. A McWhorter and a H&H precision.

My buddies fierce will shoot about 1 MOA but it's not as nice as the custom rifles.

The only question is do you reload? The Mc Whorter comes with a developed load and they will make the ammo for you if you wish.

I own and love my Fierce Carbon Rival in 300 PRC. It does shoot .5 MOA. It's a kick *** rifle and I paid around $2100 or $2200 on sale if I remember correctly.

However, if I were doing it over, I would build a custom rifle. Not because I'm unhappy with my rifle in anyway but it would be worth it to me to spend an extra thousand dollars and get exactly what I want.

I like the stock but the palms well is pretty large and I'd rather have a 1:8 twist than a 1:9.