What does a custom build rig really get you???

FOMH,
I've owned too many production guns to count. A very small percentage of the many owned, I can absolutely say were beautiful examples of a perfectly shaped pile of dog sh@t.

Anything new in a box now, which, I'm certain are very good products. I elected to go customs to hopefully minimize the rodeo and circus events that you enjoy as part of owning a rifle...I want more hitting, and killing, than swearing, and wearing a look of dumb-fug-a-tude on my face looking down at my rifle wondering "what is now the problem" YMMV definitely.

This difference is surely a matter of much more experience on your part. I need the rodeo and circus to sort out where any problem lies because the confidence building in both the gun and my form with the gun-scope combo is still good for me. If I could pick up a gun and shoot five rounds and know whether it was a gem or a pile of junk, I might pay some extra to boost the odds that it's a gem up front. But I have to at least break it in and develop a load for it (and maybe several loads) before I can say that I know that gun's potential.

Unlike when I was a "typical hunter", I now will not hunt with a rifle that I haven't developed confidence in for the ranges I intend to use it. That confidence comes quickly now if I site-in at 100yds with factory ammo and plan to hunt in the woods where 100yd shots are the maximum. For that, I don't need sub-MOA performance. It takes much longer to develop confidence when I plan to hunt out in the field at longer distances where knowing the gun's full potential is more important. I won't shoot at game at 400 yds with my Howa until I can hit that gong cold 9 out of 10 times.

I have noticed you guys saying " I have a XYZ that shoots 1/8 MOA" Well that's just one XYZ rifle! You really need to find the mean average accuracy of all the XYZ's made!
Because the odds are that is what you will get..Not that 1 in 1000 Cherry!
Customs on the other hand are well beyond factory rifles in every regard!
This thread gave me the itch..I messaged a Smith last night..I want a new 280 AI !

I have noticed you guys saying " I have a XYZ that shoots 1/8 MOA" Well that's just one XYZ rifle!
There are more 1/8 moa or 1/4 moa rifle out there than there are 1/8 or 1/4 moa shooters - there in lies the biggest problem. Because of that, if I buy a factory rifle that I can't get to 1/2 moa - I throw it up on armslist and sell it to a 1 moa or 1 1/2 moa shooter and they are thrilled with the rifle.

My Pappy always taught me if you can catch the same fish or shoot the same animal with the setup you have, rather than the expensive one the other guy has,
Be content.

I've seen many go full circle so as some say don't try to keep up with the Jones's ...

I know this is a hunting forum but a custom rifle gives me and my kids confidence at long range.
With that confidence I have a few long range precision trophies, some very cool prize table picks, and some canine and ungulate blood spilled.
My 10 year old daughter has a one shot Yukon bull moose, a one shot dandy 5x5 whitetail buck, both standing off a tripod, and a custom 3rd place long range hunter match trophy shooting with adults.
Confidence is deadly.

Lately, I've been having a lot of self talks, about why I continue to have customs built for me versus buying a production rifle, and making minor corrections to it, such as new trigger, bed or float the barrel if needed, and maybe flipping it into a new stock.

These small changes that can make a production line rifle more accurate and comfortable to shoot and is a lot more cost effective than selling blood to fund a full build...In the end, what did we truly gain over a boxed rifle, if both shoot sub groups?

Here's the question...If rubber meeting the road is based on paper, steel, and fur accuracy. Then a box rifle that shoots "even-steven" MOA consistently over 10 rounds and sub MOA on 3 shot groups. What did a guy spending $4k gain, if his rifle does the same?

This question is coming from a guy who has over 15 custom builds. Aside, from pride of ownership and a certain level of confidence knowing that the parts pieced together, both internally and externally are some of the best made today...It doesn't change the fact that a guy who bought a production rifle, can hit the daily-lottery, and have an excellent shooting rig that can hang with a custom all day long.

Who's the smarter guy?
Great question.....you asked it:what have you learned? But I think you already have the answer. Sucks tho...right?

We have hunted for generations with great Rifles that have been handed down through the years, they worked good enough then and they still hold their own now .

What once was always is ....

Sure you can drive a Pinto..And yes it really does beat walking! But why not have what you want? I worked hard too many years and now I refuse to settle I get just what I want! "Well it has most of what I want I did want a 26" barrel but they only offer 24"
None of that! If I want 26 I get 26!
I agree with you KY,But I do have a question/what is a Pinto?

Building my own rifles costs about $1350 without tooling costs.
$350 Rem action or tikka
$400 fluted Krieger
$600 manners
$7 trigger spring :)
$30 for cerakote

I have seen Remington actions for sale many places. I have never seen a tikka action for sale. Do you know where a tikka action can be bought?
Thanks,
Johnny

I'm not a sales guy but what parts are you needing. I'm betting we have someone on here selling what you need

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.