What does a custom build rig really get you???

I am confused by this comment...are you implying there is a risk to build your own rifle? You realize you aren't the only rifle builder on this site right?

Based on his posts, I am pretty sure he is a gunsmith. I could be wrong...
I to am confused as to that comment you do not have to be a gunsmith to build a custom weapon! My first attempt in 2004 works flawlessly to this day and took a nine point Buck 650yds across a gorge 2days after the build and, I am no gunsmith. I am however a Mechanical Design Engineer and spent several months reading everything I could about building a custom rifle and spoke a couple smiths for advice. That's all one needs to do, I also took the completed weapon to one of the smiths to have him check the headspace on my setup and he cleared it. No hospital required..

I should probably have prefaced my comments by stating I am not against a custom build. Just like with glass, the law of diminishing marginal returns applies to rifles. I knew I could have put together a lower end custom for what I have spent on some of my higher end factory rifles.

You guys spend your money on whatever you want. I just figured somebody on here was going to have to play devils advocate to all these custom is the only way to go guys. I go through several guns a year - buying and selling. I even sell guns that shoot lights out - @Beaver10 got one of my 204's that drive tacks. I enjoy it - buy em shoot em sell em. Try something different. If I did that with customs I would be divorced and broke:)

I should probably have prefaced my comments by stating I am not against a custom build. Just like with glass, the law of diminishing marginal returns applies to rifles. I knew I could have put together a lower end custom for what I have spent on some of my higher end factory rifles.

You guys spend your money on whatever you want. I just figured somebody on here was going to have to play devils advocate to all these custom is the only way to go guys.
Just a thought but, I also get great satisfaction when the weapon I built does what it's supposed to do...

I now own a custom wife. Just took some time and training.

Buying a factory rifle is like a mail order bride, sometimes you get lucky and hit the jackpot, others not so much. On the other hand buying a custom is like finding exactly the right partner for you, maybe not perfect but you got to choose your partner. Disclaimer - Both options don't always pan out.

Back to the ops question. Custom is great if you have the money and want specific parameters. Off the shelf are pretty good now days with the tighter tolerances of cnc equipment. Whatever you want will work. If you choose to build your own, it ain't rocket science :)

I think there's a variety of maybe misconception? Between the male ego of simply being able to afford it, to the ignorance that that custom gear makes them a better shooter.

No one NEEDS a 1lb trigger. It only compensates for a problem you already have. For a .30 cal cartridge, a muzzle break doesn't help you to be a better shooter. Sure, it can dampen the recoil, but it's not a fix for bad technique. My point being is that a good shooter can take a stock rifle that is reasonably built and max out its potential. If you are using gear for a special purpose that's a different story, if you know how and why you are using what you are using, and it fills a void. If your abilities as a shooter is good enough that one feel the need to have an custom/accurized rifle, a custom rig can allow you to squeeze every last bit of accuracy out of it. Unfortunately a lot of factory rifles still shoot better than the average shooter.
That is where I am. My toys are better than me. But at this age I am sure having a great time I should of had 40 years ago.

For a lighter hunting rifle, it is hard to find a quality stock for under $500 and what actions are the around $350, other than Remington? I am comparing my needs where I hunt though. Heavy isn't fun here.

Some of my best shooting rifles have $300.00 stocks on them. And as far as actions you can buy a brand new Remington action for 350 to 400 depending on the action length. I also look for slightly used actions and have bough them for less than $200.00 that had a bad stock or barrel. (I bought one that the barrel was bent from running over it with his truck. The action was un-touched and had less than a box of ammo through it.

The only advantage A light weigh rifle has over a heavy rifle, Is weight all other advantages go to the heavy rifle.

I build all of mine to, and don't keep time on my builds but based on the components that I prefer to use the posted prices are right but on my friends rifles I give them a price based on what they want and don't change it so they know going in what it cost.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.