Build a custom rifle or get a Fierce?

fnlights

Looking for my next elk rifle - not entirely sure of the caliber yet, I am thinking .300 PRC or the 28 Nosler. I have never built a rifle before, but am considering it! My question is, is it worth building a rifle or buying a Fierce with a .5 MOA guarantee or even a Seekins PH2? For my build, I was considering the below:

I would assume this build would be somewhere around $3,800 and a Fierce Carbon Rival runs about $2,700 and a Twisted Rival runs about $2,300. Both come in the 6lb range, no idea what the custom would end up at.

Action: A Defiance or Kelby
Stock: Manners EH1
Barrel: Can't decide on carbon or not - Carbon is lighter, but a fluted/cerakoted Bartlein looks pretty sweet
Trigger: TriggerTech something
Brake: Terminator

If you don't handload disregard this post entirely. I wouldn't buy or build until I had the components in hand like powder, primers, brass, bullets. After this last couple years of complete nonsense with availability I want a barrel worth of components on hand before I buy/build, 500 bullets and enough powder for them absolute minimum. 7mm bullets are crazy rare now and for the last few months and more, if you aren't stocked I'd skip the 28N. 30 cal is better from an availability perspective but I still can't get what I want. Seems like 6mm and 6.5 components are fairly common and I will likely do a 6mm next if I can get a barrel worth of bullets on my shelf. I would like to work with the 7mm and 30 cal rifles that I have but still hanging on to the components that I have on hand because I don't have enough of any one bullet to do what I want to do.

If you don't handload disregard this post entirely. I wouldn't buy or build until I had the components in hand like powder, primers, brass, bullets. After this last couple years of complete nonsense with availability I want a barrel worth of components on hand before I buy/build, 500 bullets and enough powder for them absolute minimum. 7mm bullets are crazy rare now and for the last few months and more, if you aren't stocked I'd skip the 28N. 30 cal is better from an availability perspective but I still can't get what I want. Seems like 6mm and 6.5 components are fairly common and I will likely do a 6mm next if I can get a barrel worth of bullets on my shelf. I would like to work with the 7mm and 30 cal rifles that I have but still hanging on to the components that I have on hand because I don't have enough of any one bullet to do what I want to do.
I do handload. I have plenty of 30 cal bullets from 168gr to 215 gr. I have heard the 7mm bullets are very hard to find, another reason I was hesitant on the 28N.

IMO yes it is worth building a rifle. Another $1k and you have exactly what you want. I would go 28 Nosler. At minimum it seems you can always get hammer bullets. It seems to go in waves what components are available for which calibers. I wanted something that shot really flat decided on the 28 and had all the components before my rifle arrived.

Simple. If you want to shoot 200gr and up go prc. If you want to shoot 196 and below go 28NOS. Custom should be less finicky and exactly what you want. And any GOOD smith will back a 1/2" guarantee.

Not to dis fierce, but the warranty basically states they can find a load that shoots 1/2" in the gun. Doesnt matter if its a combination you actually want to shoot or not. Or components you have or not. Not the warranty i would want.

I would get a long action terminus zeus, and run the stock/trigger that you want. Buy a prefit barrel screw it on and away you go. Pretty easy these days to put together a rifle capable of 1/2moa on your workbench in about 15 min. You can get pre-fits in just about any cartridge you want, in carbon or not.

Personally I would go manners lrh over the eh1. I have them both and just prefer the lrh. But its a personal choice.

I would get a long action terminus zeus, and run the stock/trigger that you want. Buy a prefit barrel screw it on and away you go. Pretty easy these days to put together a rifle capable of 1/2moa on your workbench in about 15 min. You can get pre-fits in just about any cartridge you want, in carbon or not.

Personally I would go manners lrh over the eh1. I have them both and just prefer the lrh. But its a personal choice.
I have thought about the prefits, but couldn't find anything in stock for the PRC (carbon barrel). Plus it's hard to find a magnum action lol