Build a custom rifle or get a Fierce?

The fierce I messed with before my custom was amazing. I love the custom I built instead but it was 2x the money and I think I would have been happy as a clam with the fierce

If your a southpaw, go Fierce…Seekins does not offer a left handed option. Just packed my Fierce CT Edge in 300 PRC (6.2lbs before optics/ammo…final carry weight 8.3lbs) 60+ miles with full pack through the Frank Church…ounces equal pounds & Fierce offers their Magnum Calibers with 22" Barrels. Before my trip I checked zero at the range….2.5" group of 3 at 556 yards with a 5-10mph left to right cross wind. You get what you pay for….Seekins makes an excellent product, us lefties however are not a part of their business model. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 0F51E06E-5B8E-4764-87B9-05D8C295E5D2.jpeg
    0F51E06E-5B8E-4764-87B9-05D8C295E5D2.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 67
If I do decide the build route - I am leaning towards these components:

Action: Defiance / Kelby, whichever is available honestly - does not seem to be much difference
Stock: AG Alpine Hunter
Barrel: Proof
Trigger: Triggertech
Brake: Terminator
Bottom Metal: Thinking Hawkins, but this is TBD - no idea on this aspect lol

All in all, I believe this would come to about $3,600 before tax and such - so about $1,000 more than a Fierce. Overall, the above would probably be a slightly better rifle than the Fierce, right?
You just described my rifle I used the Curtis Axiom Action with a WTO switch Lug , started out with Hawkins DBM and changed too the Curtis flush bottom metal but it still takes the same mags either or . I put the rifle together under 3000 not counting the scope . The Curtis Action will take prefits because of the close tolerances , as well as some others Straight Jacket can advise on that if that matters . I'm sure their other gunsmiths and rifle makers , that can do the same.

Looking for my next elk rifle - not entirely sure of the caliber yet, I am thinking .300 PRC or the 28 Nosler. I have never built a rifle before, but am considering it! My question is, is it worth building a rifle or buying a Fierce with a .5 MOA guarantee or even a Seekins PH2? For my build, I was considering the below:

I would assume this build would be somewhere around $3,800 and a Fierce Carbon Rival runs about $2,700 and a Twisted Rival runs about $2,300. Both come in the 6lb range, no idea what the custom would end up at.

Action: A Defiance or Kelby
Stock: Manners EH1
Barrel: Can't decide on carbon or not - Carbon is lighter, but a fluted/cerakoted Bartlein looks pretty sweet
Trigger: TriggerTech something
I have 300, 140gr. Barnes TSX, same lot, I'll sell. PM me of interested.

I have a custom 28 nosler and it shoots very well and is a lazer and performs well. I use 195 Berger's. The only problem that I run into with it is you don't want to shoot them a lot because they are a barrel burner. If you want something with a little more life and be able to learn it on extended ranges go with a PRC. I would target Bullets from 212 grain to 230 grain weights. The great thing about a custom is you can work with your smith and build what you want targeting your Bullets of preferences so the gun can perform to your expectations. Just my 2 cents. So far my 28 has been 1 shot kills on game but can't shoot it a lot due to barrel life.

If you don't handload disregard this post entirely. I wouldn't buy or build until I had the components in hand like powder, primers, brass, bullets. After this last couple years of complete nonsense with availability I want a barrel worth of components on hand before I buy/build, 500 bullets and enough powder for them absolute minimum. 7mm bullets are crazy rare now and for the last few months and more, if you aren't stocked I'd skip the 28N. 30 cal is better from an availability perspective but I still can't get what I want. Seems like 6mm and 6.5 components are fairly common and I will likely do a 6mm next if I can get a barrel worth of bullets on my shelf. I would like to work with the 7mm and 30 cal rifles that I have but still hanging on to the components that I have on hand because I don't have enough of any one bullet to do what I want to do.
6mm can be hard to come by. Brass, bullets can be very hard to come by. I know, I just completed a 6mm/280AI. I am not saying built that either. It's taken about a year to get the rifle built. Components were and hard to come by. Primers are the hardest, then powder. I have primers, and only have gotten 1000 primers over the last year. Still watching for Varget, H1000, and Primers. I see that you are looking heavier calibers. So if you are looking to build a rifle. Start on both rifle and components at the same time. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would lean to a 6mm/06 AI combination. The reason for that is, I am thinking maybe I had it built a little to hot. (have to see) I am looking at a 257/280AI build. I am going to have one of my 25/06's converted to that configuration. It will a few months before I get to shoot that 6mm/280AI. Still acquiring components for it. Reloading equipment mostly. Learn a lot over the past year, and changed my mind on things too, from advise from here and other places.
If you don't handload, you have another huge step to get set up. It also depends on how deep your pockets are. I am not saying not to reload, but presently it can be a problem getting set up. Over a year you probable can complete both, rifle and reloading components.
Ordering items: Be sure that you kept track on what you have order out, and what being shipped, or back ordered. Because you can order out and be on a waiting list. Find the item somewhere else, and get it there. The backorder in places can't be cancelled. Most will let you know that it's in and still do you want, but not all. I still have items on backorder and it's been 1.5 yrs now.
So good luck and let us know. We can help guide you in your purchases or item to buy. Again it's how deep your pockets are. You don't have to go to the best. Example is I used RCBS FL and neck sizing dies. Now I only get FL and bushing dies, only and presently using Redding bushing die's. One thing for sure is bushing dies, and who many them is up to you. I sure everybody will tell you to get this or that. You have to make discission. Wish you the best.

Looking for my next elk rifle - not entirely sure of the caliber yet, I am thinking .300 PRC or the 28 Nosler. I have never built a rifle before, but am considering it! My question is, is it worth building a rifle or buying a Fierce with a .5 MOA guarantee or even a Seekins PH2? For my build, I was considering the below:

I would assume this build would be somewhere around $3,800 and a Fierce Carbon Rival runs about $2,700 and a Twisted Rival runs about $2,300. Both come in the 6lb range, no idea what the custom would end up at.

Action: A Defiance or Kelby
Stock: Manners EH1
Barrel: Can't decide on carbon or not - Carbon is lighter, but a fluted/cerakoted Bartlein looks pretty sweet
Trigger: TriggerTech something
I would stay away from the rival a lot of problems, I say that and I also own the Fierce Edge in .280 Ackley and a Fierce Carbon Edge in 6.5 PRC both are fine shooting rifles.

6mm can be hard to come by. Brass, bullets can be very hard to come by. I know, I just completed a 6mm/280AI. I am not saying built that either. It's taken about a year to get the rifle built. Components were and hard to come by. Primers are the hardest, then powder. I have primers, and only have gotten 1000 primers over the last year. Still watching for Varget, H1000, and Primers. I see that you are looking heavier calibers. So if you are looking to build a rifle. Start on both rifle and components at the same time. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would lean to a 6mm/06 AI combination. The reason for that is, I am thinking maybe I had it built a little to hot. (have to see) I am looking at a 257/280AI build. I am going to have one of my 25/06's converted to that configuration. It will a few months before I get to shoot that 6mm/280AI. Still acquiring components for it. Reloading equipment mostly. Learn a lot over the past year, and changed my mind on things too, from advise from here and other places.
If you don't handload, you have another huge step to get set up. It also depends on how deep your pockets are. I am not saying not to reload, but presently it can be a problem getting set up. Over a year you probable can complete both, rifle and reloading components.
Ordering items: Be sure that you kept track on what you have order out, and what being shipped, or back ordered. Because you can order out and be on a waiting list. Find the item somewhere else, and get it there. The backorder in places can't be cancelled. Most will let you know that it's in and still do you want, but not all. I still have items on backorder and it's been 1.5 yrs now.
So good luck and let us know. We can help guide you in your purchases or item to buy. Again it's how deep your pockets are. You don't have to go to the best. Example is I used RCBS FL and neck sizing dies. Now I only get FL and bushing dies, only and presently using Redding bushing die's. One thing for sure is bushing dies, and who many them is up to you. I sure everybody will tell you to get this or that. You have to make discission. Wish you the best.
My guess is your just going too change bushings using the 280AI brass for both the 6 mm and 25 cal 280 AI . I'm doing the same with the 6.5 -284 and the 25-284 , a 6mm might be on the horizon.

If you go with Fierce, I'd stay away from the Rival series and go win the Fury or Edge, which are a Sako 85 clone. People are having way to many problems with the Rivals for what they cost. Myself and 3 buddies have Fury/Edge's and all shoot stupid good with no issues. $.02
I would stay away from the rival a lot of problems, I say that and I also own the Fierce Edge in .280 Ackley and a Fierce Carbon Edge in 6.5 PRC both are fine shooting rifles.
Good to know about the Rivals, I did not know there were so many issues with them. What are they? If that is the case, a Carbon Edge comes in closer to that custom price. @CrickBottom - what caliber is your Edge and did you order it directly from Fierce?

You just described my rifle I used the Curtis Axiom Action with a WTO switch Lug , started out with Hawkins DBM and changed too the Curtis flush bottom metal but it still takes the same mags either or . I put the rifle together under 3000 not counting the scope . The Curtis Action will take prefits because of the close tolerances , as well as some others Straight Jacket can advise on that if that matters . I'm sure their other gunsmiths and rifle makers , that can do the same.
Wow under $3,000 for all of that is impressive. Did you do this recently because I am not sure how it would be possible to do that now haha.