Build a custom rifle or get a Fierce?

Just to give you a bench mark. I just built a 6.5 prc with Bighorn/Zermatt TL3 Proof prefit carbon fiber barrel, Hawkins metal, Trigertec Special trigger, AG alpine hunter stock. $3245 all in. My only regret is that I wish I had bought a 7 saum or 300 wsm barrel. But I can still do it and change it out in 30 minutes...but would still have to shoot it in. You can also get prefit 300 wm and 300 prc barrels but will require a long action.

Just to give you a bench mark. I just built a 6.5 prc with Bighorn/Zermatt TL3 Proof prefit carbon fiber barrel, Hawkins metal, Trigertec Special trigger, AG alpine hunter stock. $3245 all in. My only regret is that I wish I had bought a 7 saum or 300 wsm barrel. But I can still do it and change it out in 30 minutes...but would still have to shoot it in. You can also get prefit 300 wm and 300 prc barrels but will require a long action.
Thats not bad at all, how did you get out of there for $3,245 lol? That now is like $3,500 at least

Yes I love the look of the stock - especially the Rogue colors
For a lighter-weight quality action the Terminus Kratos Lite is an excellent choice. Running two of them - one on a 6.5 Sherman Max and the other on a 27 Nosler... Smooth and accurate.

Or you could go with the guys @ APR Rifles…They have the maverick or altitude rifles in your price range…I've had them build me 2 different rifles. One is a Ranger in 6.5 PRC and the other is a Altitude in 6 creed…Both will shot .5 moa.They also keep built rifles in stock on the website..Might find what your looking for there without the long wait for your build.
👆 What he said.

I would get a long action terminus zeus, and run the stock/trigger that you want. Buy a prefit barrel screw it on and away you go. Pretty easy these days to put together a rifle capable of 1/2moa on your workbench in about 15 min. You can get pre-fits in just about any cartridge you want, in carbon or not.

Personally I would go manners lrh over the eh1. I have them both and just prefer the lrh. But its a personal choice.
I'm in the middle of this right now, struggling a bit with accuracy at the moment but I like the journey. My build thread is in the noob section.

The rifle component cost and the lack of gunsmith costs are cost a effective approach, but...

I'll restate I'm struggling with accuracy.

That struggle is costly in components and time. It's full of frustration but gains feel amazing because you earned them. You'll learn sooo much in a short time, and that learning will transfer to your future purchases and decisions. Every facet of your shooting, reloading, gunsmithing will improve and the excitement of knowing you're one mistake away from throwing your entire investment in the trash is fun.

You will hate waiting on pieces and lead times are crazy, at least in my experience.

I wouldn't trade the process of a self build vs shop built. But I also have crappy access to gunsmith service. All in all it depends on what type of person you are.

In case you go home brew, some members bring up great points in this thread... Then I ignore them. Spoiler alert...I make mistakes.

Give Straight Jacket Armory a call , they can put you a barreled action together , complete stock , trigger etc or you can order your own stock and install too your liking . You might consider AG composites out of Oklahoma they build some high end stocks . Weatherby , Springfield etc are using their Carbon fiber stocks . One of my most accurate rifles has a A G composite Alpine Hunter factory pillar bedded ,shoots so good I didn't bother too bed it . That's the only stock I have that's not glassed bedded. Take a look at the A G website if you haven't already .
They make some fine stocks..I've always used McMillan stocks until APR built my rifles using AG stock..I actually like the feel better on the 2 different AG stocks I have currently…Also it's a veteran owned company from Alabama (sorry not Oklahoma) Roll Tide..

Last edited:
Looking for my next elk rifle - not entirely sure of the caliber yet, I am thinking .300 PRC or the 28 Nosler. I have never built a rifle before, but am considering it! My question is, is it worth building a rifle or buying a Fierce with a .5 MOA guarantee or even a Seekins PH2? For my build, I was considering the below:

I would assume this build would be somewhere around $3,800 and a Fierce Carbon Rival runs about $2,700 and a Twisted Rival runs about $2,300. Both come in the 6lb range, no idea what the custom would end up at.

Action: A Defiance or Kelby
Stock: Manners EH1
Barrel: Can't decide on carbon or not - Carbon is lighter, but a fluted/cerakoted Bartlein looks pretty sweet
Trigger: TriggerTech something
Brake: Terminator
I've got a Blaser R8 in 300 Win (groups 1/2" @ 100yds leupold VX6 3x18) and a 30/06 (fitted with a Zeiss 3x10). Very pleased and accuracy is repatable when changing barrels or removing and putting in case. New calibers are easy, specially if the same case head dimensions.

I bought a Fierce Carbon Rival in 300 PRC. I have no problem finding enough ammo because I do not horde it. I do have the dies and just need to build up my brass supply. With the muzzle brake the recoil is lite enough for me (my other big bore is a .375 H&H) so for me it is light. I would go for the Fierce no matter which model you would choose. I don't plan on taking it to Africa however.