Building a custom rifle help

Don't own one, but I really like the aesthetics of the Springfield Waypoint, and it seems like they took the time to incorporate quality parts/components into the build. My only gripe is a small selection of available chamberings (it is available in 308 which perfectly suits the needs of the OP though), otherwise I'd probably pick one up for my 300 Win Mag project.

So I am thinking more along the line of a "semi custom" build I guess. Was thinking of a Bighorn Origin barreled action from PVA and putting it into a Grayboe Phoenix and adding a triggertech trigger. Anyone have any experience with the Bighorn origin barreled actions?

So I am thinking more along the line of a "semi custom" build I guess. Was thinking of a Bighorn Origin barreled action from PVA and putting it into a Grayboe Phoenix and adding a triggertech trigger. Anyone have any experience with the Bighorn origin barreled actions?
not the Origin - I got the TL3 from Bighorn/Zermatt and a barrel from PVA. Went together like a champ.

How are the barrels from PVA? And what barrels are they?
Looks like PVA is using two barrel OEMs - I got the Rock Creek cut rifled in 6BR, 26" m24 profile with the Jetblast brake. Weighs a ton but recoil is almost non-existent. When I do my part, I can hit a dime at 200 yds. I just ordered a 24" 6.5 PRC barrel from Preferred Barrel blanks - it is button rifled and a couple hundred$ cheaper - It is going to be a hunting barrel so if it groups around 1/2MOA, ill be happy. Now, if I could just find some 6.5PRC brass - so it goes. The controlled round feed on the TL3 picks up the 6BR cartridges very nicely and switching between 6BR and 6.5PRC only requires a $125 bolt head swap. In general, I am very happy with the TL3. I shoot lefty so finding a fun left handed bolt in the store is impossible and custom building is the only way to go.

Last edited:
I just got my first preferred barrel blanks and it looks good. It hasn't been slapped together yet because I am waiting on a stock. It will be a TL3 with a preferred barrel blank 6mm Creedmoor. All the Bighorn actions are good to go. I really like the defiance Anti actions for a light weight hunting action.

They will take savage small shank barrels, triggers & bld magazines that fit a Remington 700. Also will fit in a stock made for a Remington 700. You can pick up a bighorn and criterion Savage barrel from northland shooters supply, put it together and you will most likely have a rifle that will shoot better than 90 percent of most hunters rifles.

Recommend you look at a Remington rifle. Why? You will be under budget with a Remington Sendero and at around 1200 bucks, it gives you budget to upgrade your trigger, perhaps change your bbl to a custom twist and bed the action. Remington is the most common of all actions and are infinitely upgradable with parts and accessories everywhere so as you get better over time, your rifle can get better with you.
I have done this myself with great results!

The Origin is a great action to build off! You could likely build one close to your budget. Especially if you snag some parts on sale (Black Friday).

$850 plus transfer fee on the origin. $330 criterion, $35 northland barrel nut. $150 trigger. Will come to around $1400. Leaves you $600 to pick out a stock and find a magazine & bottom metal.

I've built a 7 SAUM (PVA) on a Curtis Action, a 6.5CM (Bartlein) and a 338 SS (PVA) on Origin actions. I enjoy it, I have more knowledge.
I also have more tools that were needed to complete the jobs. Those are a one time purchase but it all adds up on that first build.

Tidus56 mentioned the Savage UltraLite. Jstanton the Christensen Ridgeline and Idaho Lefty mentioned Tikka, good choices that you can rebarrel if needed down the road.

I always spend over 2k and I have no regrets. Its your money so spend it the way you want to, just be prepared to go over budget when you are buying names like Proof, Bartlein, Origin, PVA barrels and brakes, etc.

Best Regards and may your rifle be true should you decide to DIY

In the "Hunting Fields" where there are,.. NO,.. Bench Rests, the properly, "tuned" / Loaded, Tikka's will "shoot" as good as any "Custom" for, Big Game Hunting to, 700- 800 Yards ( caliber, dependent of course ). Slightly, sub. MOA, gets, IT,. DONE, in the Field !
I shot, a 5" dia Group, Prone at, 700 Yards with, my .270 WSM, Tikka T-3 ( 140 grain, Berger Classic Hunter ).
Shot 2 Elk, ( 1 Sitting, 1 kneeling over, Stix ) with this Rifle so far and it Kills them, just as Dead as, my Custom, .338 Win Mag,..ever did !
Kicks less and about, 1.5 Pounds, Lighter !
I have, 3 "Lefty" Tikka's, for, Hunting, now !
Total "Investment" about, $3,500 for, all 3 Rifles,.. with Scopes.
Tikka's are super out of the box with many after market options.

I went over budget early on and a time or two later. It was mostly my fault after the first over budget because I went beyond what I had originally planned