What does a custom build rig really get you???

Well I know this thread cost me an hour on the phone with a good smith
and a new 280AI in the works! Thanks a Lot! Really though I'm looking forward to it a lot! This time I tried to have minimal input I thought I would go with someone who knows more than I do. I left a lot 'Smiths Choice" or what he thinks will help achieve my goal or won't help. This is actually FUN!

Last edited:
I'm not a sales guy but what parts are you needing. I'm betting we have someone on here selling what you need

I plan on selling the original barrel and stock. I'm not sure if I can get much of anything for them. It might be a waste of time trying to sell them. But I'm going to at least try. That's why I was asking where you sold your parts. I plan on buying a good barrel. I haven't decided what to do regarding the stock or possibly a chassis.

I plan on selling the original barrel and stock. I'm not sure if I can get much of anything for them. It might be a waste of time trying to sell them. But I'm going to at least try. That's why I was asking where you sold your parts. I plan on buying a good barrel. I haven't decided what to do regarding the stock or possibly a chassis.
Sell the barrel on here or ebay. As for the stock, if you can't afford a high end stock, there are many ways to modify it to make if a nice stock. I'll post a video of how I did mine.

I have seen Remington actions for sale many places. I have never seen a tikka action for sale. Do you know where a tikka action can be bought?
Thanks,
Johnny
No one imports just an action, I've tried every angle and no joy, it would be an amazing market if someone got it done!!

Looking in reverse, what do you get with a off the rack gun? Caliber that probably isn't your first choice. A short barrel that hampers performance. A barrel twist that doesn't match the bullets you want to use. A lawyered up trigger. A gun that doesn't allow you to shoot to back of field. A mass produced product that may or may not shoot. A gun that probably isn't a airloom. In essence a multitude of compromise. A price that reflects all above, a good thing.

Looking in reverse, what do you get with a off the rack gun? Caliber that probably isn't your first choice. A short barrel that hampers performance. A barrel twist that doesn't match the bullets you want to use. A lawyered up trigger. A gun that doesn't allow you to shoot to back of field. A mass produced product that may or may not shoot. A gun that probably isn't a airloom. In essence a multitude of compromise. A price that reflects all above, a good thing.
Where to begin??? :)
There are a lot of factory rifles that will match 75% of a guy's wish list and shoot very well. Many mods are easy and cheap.

Look , guns, boat, cars,bikes.....this topic is always the same. I look at it like it will always be a debate. If your happy with stock Silverado your happy great, if your happy with a lift kit,dual exhaust, and mud tires great ( semi custom). And if your into blowers,super charger, high performance all the way around (Custom) great.Than it's good all the way around and every has there own opinions of what they like and want... as long as those individuals don't act like there stuff is the best..... and with this site you can always afford to upgrade try something else or turn around and sell it .

To me the difference between a 1 MOA rifle and a 1/4 MOA rifle off a bench rest is practically meaningless in hunting conditions at ethical distances........however there's something magical about those little tiny bughole groups that installs a great deal of confidence and peace of mine.

just a piece of my mind :)

I'm not trying to justify customs as I've never owned one. But I have bought factory guns for many decades. I'm not talking customs made in a shop under the presumption that it's a factory gun but your basic mass produced guns. They work if you realize their limits. Sort of a get what ya pay for thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.