Build a custom rifle or get a Fierce?

In my opinion I would buy a pre made rifle of your choice in what ever caliber you like.I really see no necessity for a magnum as I have killed Elk with a 257 Roberts and don`t think any Magnum would have killed them deader or faster.How ever you may think other wise.One thing you must realize about having a custom rifle made is "you may not like it"!There is no bringing it back unless there is faulty work man ship.You will be lucky to sell it for half of what you invested in it and probably waited a year to get.A Fierce or Seekins or what ever else you get will do what a much more expensive rifle will do.I personally buy a Tikka and put it in A McMillan Sako Hunter Edge stock,drop the trigger to 2 pounds sight it in and shoot.Will shoot as good as most customs.JMHO ,Huntz

Tikka's are awesome platforms for semi-custom builds. My 270 WSM is every bit as accurate as my Fierce 1 off Custom. Picture of group is at 200 yards with factory Hornady 145gr ELD-X's. Tikka's like many other mass produced rifles are well supported with factory or aftermarket components, can not go wrong with a Tikka.

Agree wholeheartedly that we the consumer take a risk every time we buy something 1 off or custom. Just sold my Browning Hells Canyon Long Range in 6.8 Western, buyer questioned my price and I justified it by explaining that not all guns are created equal, mine was a shooter which is not guaranteed when buying brand new. Also, the buyer was able to confirm this because I allowed him to shoot a group at 100, 200 & out to 500+ yards. Almost never do we have the opportunity to "test drive" a used rifle. Proof is always in the pudding!

Attachments

• 430AB7B4-A7DA-47D0-9B56-AA4B52E2D45E.jpeg
    430AB7B4-A7DA-47D0-9B56-AA4B52E2D45E.jpeg
    983.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 56956337-A6A0-4E21-8DB5-C0285ABD7ED3.jpeg
    56956337-A6A0-4E21-8DB5-C0285ABD7ED3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 53
If your a southpaw, go Fierce…Seekins does not offer a left handed option. Just packed my Fierce CT Edge in 300 PRC (6.2lbs before optics/ammo…final carry weight 8.3lbs) 60+ miles with full pack through the Frank Church…ounces equal pounds & Fierce offers their Magnum Calibers with 22" Barrels. Before my trip I checked zero at the range….2.5" group of 3 at 556 yards with a 5-10mph left to right cross wind. You get what you pay for….Seekins makes an excellent product, us lefties however are not a part of their business model. 🤷‍♂️
and too many firearms makers are missing the boat because they think the LEFTy shooting market is only 10%... well, it is the EYE-dominance that should matter, as in archery. And when that factor is accounted for, no fewer than One-Third of people would be better off shooting Lefty.
but they're forced to because of misinformed and biased production decisions; happy to support brands that offer Lefty options, even in handguns that can be either.

Two years ago I bought a Fierce from Sportsmans Warehouse. 338 LM. Within 10 shots, factory ammo, the rifle shot 3 into 1/2 uscg at 100 yards. Since have shot half-inch groups with three different bullet weights and love the gun. Yes, I load.

Two years ago I bought a Fierce from Sportsmans Warehouse. 338 LM. Within 10 shots, factory ammo, the rifle shot 3 into 1/2 uscg at 100 yards. Since have shot half-inch groups with three different bullet weights and love the gun. Yes, I load.
What caliber and model of Fierce?

and too many firearms makers are missing the boat because they think the LEFTy shooting market is only 10%... well, it is the EYE-dominance that should matter, as in archery. And when that factor is accounted for, no fewer than One-Third of people would be better off shooting Lefty.
but they're forced to because of misinformed and biased production decisions; happy to support brands that offer Lefty options, even in handguns that can be either.
Amen, best decision in shooting was switching from right handed bolt action to left…lefty AR's are equally as difficult to find…found a brand new one a few months ago and it is a game changer for me…no more powder burn on my cheeks from the shells being kicked in front of my face!!!! Kudos to the gun builders that do offer left handed options!

Attachments

• 43B96C21-FD40-478C-A816-EF1E2CDAFE2A.jpeg
    43B96C21-FD40-478C-A816-EF1E2CDAFE2A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
I would get a long action terminus zeus, and run the stock/trigger that you want. Buy a prefit barrel screw it on and away you go. Pretty easy these days to put together a rifle capable of 1/2moa on your workbench in about 15 min. You can get pre-fits in just about any cartridge you want, in carbon or not.

Personally I would go manners lrh over the eh1. I have them both and just prefer the lrh. But its a personal choice.
Doing almost exactly this. My Zeus LA .591, and Zeus SA QC arrived today! :)

Looking for my next elk rifle - not entirely sure of the caliber yet, I am thinking .300 PRC or the 28 Nosler. I have never built a rifle before, but am considering it! My question is, is it worth building a rifle or buying a Fierce with a .5 MOA guarantee or even a Seekins PH2? For my build, I was considering the below:

I would assume this build would be somewhere around $3,800 and a Fierce Carbon Rival runs about $2,700 and a Twisted Rival runs about $2,300. Both come in the 6lb range, no idea what the custom would end up at.

Action: A Defiance or Kelby
Stock: Manners EH1
Barrel: Can't decide on carbon or not - Carbon is lighter, but a fluted/cerakoted Bartlein looks pretty sweet
Trigger: TriggerTech something
Brake: Terminator
I bought a Fierce Carbon Rival and had major issues with it for months. They finally fixed it and now it shoots .25-.5" groups every time I shoot it with my reloads. I wont buy another one again. To many initial issues.

If I do decide the build route - I am leaning towards these components:

Action: Defiance / Kelby, whichever is available honestly - does not seem to be much difference
Stock: AG Alpine Hunter
Barrel: Proof
Trigger: Triggertech
Brake: Terminator
Bottom Metal: Thinking Hawkins, but this is TBD - no idea on this aspect lol

All in all, I believe this would come to about $3,600 before tax and such - so about $1,000 more than a Fierce. Overall, the above would probably be a slightly better rifle than the Fierce, right?
Yes!

If you do your own work, build it. Even then, you could spend almost as much as buying a pre-made rifle. If I was considering a custom rifle, I would look at West Texas Ordinance. They have a system they call Switch Lug so you can switch barrels simply by loosing a set screw on the recoil lug and unscrew the barrel. Then you screw another barrel into the receiver and re-tighten the set screw on the recoil lug. No tools are needed other than the driver for the set screw. A barrel wrench is not required and head space is preset so gauges are not needed.

In my opinion, I would steer clear of the Rivals. I had issues with my Rival out the gate. The biggest issue was an extraction issue, but they also had to swap out the trigger and barrel. They had it for a couple of months, and the extraction issues were still not resolved. So, we finally settled on them sending me a new Carbon Fury 6.5 PRC. I have not shot it and probably won't as I picked up a Seekins Element that I hope to get out with soon.

Recent Posts