Help! Building a custom rifle

VTi

Ok guys, it seems I need more help with this than I first thought. I have a $5000.00 budget for a custom tactical rifle set up. That includes optics but I do have capable scopes already if you guys feel the 5000.00 would be better spent on a rifle alone. Basically, I'm looking for the most consistently accurate rifle I can buy with this budget, be it a production type like accuracy international or pieced together by a smith etc... The rifle will be used mostly for medium range targets, 500-750 yds, and long range antelope and coyote hunting here in Wyoming. The only stipulations I have are that it's chambered in a medium bore, medium capacity magnum cartridge like .300 Win/Wby, 7mm Rem etc.. and total rifle weight without optics around 11-14 lbs. I'd really appreciate any advice as I really am buildig this rifle, not just a dream rifle set up, and I'd like to get the most for my money instead of wasting it on a mistake. Thanks guys.

VTi,

At 11-14lbs, you can forget any of the Accuracy International rifles. They go about 17 sans optics.

In that weight range, I'd be looking at GAP's M24 in 300WM. A friend has one and it does excellent at 1000 with 190SMK. He took a Whitetail doe this year at about 450+ yards. Dropped where she stood. Entire rifle with sling, bipod and optics weighs in under 15lbs.

You'll also have lots of money left over.

FatBoy...

Sweepman,

That's because AI's stocks are soo freekin heavy..sheesh, we have one in at work, and I really would like to drill some holes in the AICS, honeycomb the pig..If it were mine I would definitely lighten the load...

JR

$5000?? Geezzz!!!
You can have **** near anything you want for that type of cheese...
Call Chris Matthews and George Gardner at GA Precision or Jerry Rice at Nor-Cal Precision and tell them what you want... You can't go wrong with either one...

[ 01-18-2004: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

VTi,

What part of Wyo.? I have a Chris Matthews built rifle I think that will fit you nitche quite nicely. I'd be glad to let ya shoot it or have a close up look at it. Here's a teaser...

You've got than enough $$$

PC203526.jpg

e-mail me if ya wann know more [email protected]

[ 01-18-2004: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]

Hi WW, I sent ya an email. Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I'm leaning toward the Rock from GAP in .300 WSM after talking with George Gardner, thanks guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.