Wanting to build a custom rifle

Matchbook454

Hi guys. I'm thinking about building my first custom rifle and would appreciate input from those with experience. I have done a good amount of research and put together a parts list. Although I haven't decided on a caliber, I do have a few in mind. Leaning towards a 28 Nosler, .300 PRC, or possibly a 6.5-284 Norma. I'm pretty set on an AG Adjustable Hunter, Bighorn Origin, and either a Proof Carbon Wrapped Barrel or a Bartlein or Kreiger if I go that route. I am leaning towards getting them with a shouldered prefit from Bugholes as opposed to having a gunsmith thread them as I do not have a competent gunsmith near me and would also like to save a few bucks. From what I've read, Prefits are just as accurate as GS threaded so I don't feel I'm sacrificing anything there. But I'm not 100% set on doing a prefit either as I then have to buy a vise (or make one as I'm a machinist), as well as buy an action wrench. So, as for the rest of the parts - I already have a TriggerTech Primary that I can use, will most likely get Hawkins bottom metal and I think that's it? What will I need to do to install the bottom metal? Should the action just fit into the stock requiring only bedding? I guess my biggest concern is putting all of this together and achieving good fit. Again - I appreciate any help and explanations on how to do this!

I think your headed in the right direction. What is your goal for this rifle hunting? Also check Northland Shooters Supply. He has prefits also and sells the head space gauges, action wrench.

I think your headed in the right direction. What is your goal for this rifle hunting? Also check Northland Shooters Supply. He has prefits also and sells the head space gauges, action wrench.
Yes, long range capable hunting rifle.

I would maybe reconsider the stock, that is a pretty heavy stock if you compare it to some of the non adjustable stocks. Also I would maybe consider a #4 flutted barrel that would probably be about as lite as you could go and still have a stiff barrel. Carbon barrels look cool but that's up to you, they are pretty darn expensive. I have a 7 mag it's a Remington 700 bdl, criterion magnum spotter barrel non fluted, with a Mesa altitude stock and it weights almost 10lbs. It packs pretty decent but still isn't what most people think is lite. Depends on what your goals are. My scope is a Trijicon accupoint 4-16x50, so it's not super lite but not heavy either.

I would maybe reconsider the stock, that is a pretty heavy stock if you compare it to some of the non adjustable stocks. Also I would maybe consider a #4 flutted barrel that would probably be about as lite as you could go and still have a stiff barrel. Carbon barrels look cool but that's up to you, they are pretty darn expensive. I have a 7 mag it's a Remington 700 bdl, criterion magnum spotter barrel non fluted, with a Mesa altitude stock and it weights almost 10lbs. It packs pretty decent but still isn't what most people think is lite. Depends on what your goals are. My scope is a Trijicon accupoint 4-16x50, so it's not super lite but not heavy either.
Thanks for the advice. I have not yet considered weight and will compare the adjustable version to the non adjustable. Currently I have a Bergara HMR Pro with a Vortex Razor 4.5-27 on it and it's a pretty heavy set up. Definitely want this new rifle to be much lighter.

What's your opinion on actions? I was leaning towards a Bighorn Origin however I do not see that listed on AG's inlet options. I definitely would like to keep the action cost under $1k. I'm even considering just a trued 700 action.

I have thought about doing what you are looking into as well, my question is, are the pre-fit barrels at SAMMI specs and what happens if you check headspace and is out of spec? I own a 28 Nosler and I like it alot, but a SAMMI spec will push the 180 and 195 grain bullets deep in the neck shoulder, you would definitely need to anneal the cases to aid in preventing the dreaded donut. Just something to think about.

In my build, I have an AG comp CF stock. It is lighter than my McMillan adj Game Warden. I called and provided AG Comp with a list of all my parts including my BigHorn SR3 action. I was assured that with their CNC machines, they will design the stock so that the parts will have a drop in fit without any inletting. Some friends have builds with prefit barrels and quality actions. They shoot great. Good shooting!

Last edited:
I have thought about doing what you are looking into as well, my question is, are the pre-fit barrels at SAMMI specs and what happens if you check headspace and is out of spec? I own a 28 Nosler and I like it alot, but a SAMMI spec will push the 180 and 195 grain bullets deep in the neck shoulder, you would definitely need to anneal the cases to aid in preventing the dreaded donut. Just something to think about.
I have not gotten this far in my research yet so thanks for the heads up. I believe I have read that some shops can lengthen the throat to accomodate longer bullets. Not sure if they can do this with prefits or how much it'll add to the price tag?

I do like the bighorn origin I actually have an Mesa precision stock which is made by ag and a bighorn origin action with a trigger tech trigger Hawkins bottom metal, now I need to get a barrel decide if I will get a prefit or have my guns smith make one for me. I'm thinking I'll have my smith do one because of the caliper I want. My hunting partner has the reamer for what I'm thinking it's a coyote rifle I'm building for. I'm thinking 22-243ai. But I could do a prefit in 22 creedmoor. I think if you call ag they can inlet for bighorn.

I do like the bighorn origin I actually have an Mesa precision stock which is made by ag and a bighorn origin action with a trigger tech trigger Hawkins bottom metal, now I need to get a barrel decide if I will get a prefit or have my guns smith make one for me. I'm thinking I'll have my smith do one because of the caliper I want. My hunting partner has the reamer for what I'm thinking it's a coyote rifle I'm building for. I'm thinking 22-243ai. But I could do a prefit in 22 creedmoor. I think if you call ag they can inlet for bighorn.
Do the 22-243AI 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

What's your opinion on actions? I was leaning towards a Bighorn Origin however I do not see that listed on AG's inlet options. I definitely would like to keep the action cost under $1k. I'm even considering just a trued 700 action.

I'm building mine with a Defiance Tenacity and using a Mesa Precision Altitude Carbon Fiber stock and Proof Barrel and trigger tech primary.The Mesa Precision stock base is made by AG and then finished and inletted by MP. Here's a pic of the stock. I used a Hawkins bottom metal as well. Area409 has some tenacity actions on clearance for $775. I've got a great Smith that does all my work.

9BD43E80-C328-4BA2-867E-C3B6DEAAC1EB.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.