Wanting to build a custom rifle

A normal hunting rifle will have to come out of the stock. The barrel cylinder won't clear the wood. But yes on all my target rifles I just grab the barrel and use a rear entry wrench. A simple barrel vise is just make wooden plates for a 4 or 5 inch vise and glue thick leather to it. I clean and maintenance all my rifles in that vise. And you can easy get 30 to 40 pounds with it.
Shep
Agreed. All mine are straight taper or chassis so a barrel contour stock I did forget about. Even then, man 2 screws, and you're in business.

I want to thank you guys for all of your help! You have all given me confidence in doing this which will be very rewarding! I will have to put this project on hold however. I live an hour west of Chicago and currently IL has the 4th or 5th most confirmed Covid-19 cases in the US. We were notified yesterday that an employee has tested positive, getting it from his mother who was tested positive last week and lives with him and his family. This employee tested negative last week and returned to work last Friday after staying home Tuesday through Thursday until he got his results. However over the weekend he felt off and got re-tested which came back positive. As a manager I questioned his manager and was flat out lied to that this person had been exposed. Then yesterday it was disclosed to the entire company. I have stated that I disagree with how this was handled and am now fighting against this other manager who pulls rank as well as the owner of the company. I am fighting for every employee there and although 95% of the other managers agree none will speak up. I feel I am cutting my own throat but cannot back down as a leader. Anyway, until this straightened out and I feel I haven't cut my throat and will get **** canned this will have to wait.🤦‍♂️

Good luck brother, get some rounds down the pipe of what you do have and you'll be more practiced and ready to roll when the opportunity to get that first custom comes back up.

Good luck brother, get some rounds down the pipe of what you do have and you'll be more practiced and ready to roll when the opportunity to get that first custom comes back up.
Thanks! I have a Bergara HMR Pro in 6.5 and had just started handloading. Have a good load of 41.5 gr. of RL 16 topped with 147 grain ELDM's. .47" groups in 15 mph crosswind and single digit SD and ES. Going to play a little with seating depth now. Those loads were .020 off and will try .01, .015, .025, and .03 as well.

I shoot 147 eldms in a crudmore and have had great luck with them. I use h4350 and run them 2860. They like to jump in my rifle. I'm around . 025 off and it shoots 1 hole. These were seating depth test. Don't use my seating numbers they won't match the Hornady tool. I make my own inserts.
Shep

Attachments

• Message_1560721075485.jpg
    Message_1560721075485.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 84
I think your headed in the right direction. What is your goal for this rifle hunting? Also check Northland Shooters Supply. He has prefits also and sells the head space gauges, action wrench.
I've got two barrels from NSS. They were both Hummers.

I want to thank you guys for all of your help! You have all given me confidence in doing this which will be very rewarding! I will have to put this project on hold however. I live an hour west of Chicago and currently IL has the 4th or 5th most confirmed Covid-19 cases in the US. We were notified yesterday that an employee has tested positive, getting it from his mother who was tested positive last week and lives with him and his family. This employee tested negative last week and returned to work last Friday after staying home Tuesday through Thursday until he got his results. However over the weekend he felt off and got re-tested which came back positive. As a manager I questioned his manager and was flat out lied to that this person had been exposed. Then yesterday it was disclosed to the entire company. I have stated that I disagree with how this was handled and am now fighting against this other manager who pulls rank as well as the owner of the company. I am fighting for every employee there and although 95% of the other managers agree none will speak up. I feel I am cutting my own throat but cannot back down as a leader. Anyway, until this straightened out and I feel I haven't cut my throat and will get **** canned this will have to wait.🤦‍♂️

Sorry to hear you've got to fight! If you're a civil engineer or registered land surveyor and would move to Indiana, I'll gladly talk to you. (We closed doors and had all our employees work from home back onMarch 27)

Sorry to hear you've got to fight! If you're a civil engineer or registered land surveyor and would move to Indiana, I'll gladly talk to you. (We closed doors and had all our employees work from home back onMarch 27)
Unfortunately I'm a machinist however my wife is a civil engineer. And I'd be more than happy to move out of this state! I'm anxious to see how next week goes. We'll see then if I need to jump ship or not. What's kinda funny is 2 weeks ago I got a picture and letter from the owner saying that I'm the best machinist he's ever met. Already included that in my resume!😆😆😆😆😆

I know nothing about the 28 nosler. I do have an STW and there's nothing like it. All that being said, with those two cartridges you really need to know how much freebore you need on the reamer for the bullet you choose. You need to know enough about it so that a gunsmith can't b.s. you and just use what ever reamer is available to him. This is where the benefit of the newest Hornady cartridges come in. A saami reamer for 6.5cm, 6.5 prc or 300prc is going to have correct freebore for modern long range ( long & heavier) bullets. Correct freebore for Hornady ammo also. So it's an easy road to take for a first time build. If you are a long time handloading veteran, you will have a good understanding of headspace. If you have an excellent understanding of headspace, setting up a prefit with barrel nut will be no problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.