I want to build a rifle for competition

Tikkamike

I have a Tikka action that I want to build a competition rifle in 6.5x284. They dont have NRA shoots in my area that I am aware of but I would like to build it along the lines that it would qualify to shoot in some shoots like that or that use the same rules. I dont know anything about competition but I would like to shoot 1000 yard matches with a heavy gun. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what is the most widely used style/weight limit type gun. I want a long heavy barrel, maybe with no taper or at least very little and a big heavy stock with the wide forend...thats the lines I am thinking along, so someone that knows competition lend me a hand please?

Go this route:

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/5575279524/"]RicksTacRifle | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/5575279524/"]RicksTacRifle | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame] by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

6.5X47L and shoot 123 gr. Sierra HPBT or Berger 130 grainers. Both shoot to same point of impact with 38.5 grs. Varget! This is the most accurate rifle for 1000 yd. shooting I've ever fired...and I've fired lots of 'em over the past 60 years!:):D

A 30" 1.250" diameter barrel usually weighs about 10lbs (give or take a bit because of bore diameter) and I think the F class guys are limited to 17lbs but I'm not 100% sure. I have built quite a few .30 caliber magnums with 1.250" x 30" barrels and they end up about 16.5-17lbs with Leupold 6.5x20x40's in light mounts, a muzzle break, a Remington 700 action, in a Rem. 40x wood stock. A Nightforce scope and some of the glass stocks will add quite a bit more weight so that means less barrel. You would probably have to do something like a max HV contour to make weight with heavier components.

I would probably round up the components you want to use and weigh them and then figure out the weight of the barrel you can use to fit in a class. A Max HV is usually 7-8lbs depending on length and bore size.

See NRA Rules here - section 22 covers F-Class Rifles...
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/rules/fullbore_07.pdf

Savage 12F and F/TR are pretty much built for this game and have a good track record for factory rifles. You might want to look at some of the specs which you should be able to improve on.

Someone mentioned brakes earlier. Brakes are usually not allowed.

-- richard

Mike IBS 1k limits light guns to 17lbs as does F class but IBS allows muzzle breaks which is a must even on small calibers for quick follow up shot strings. Tikkas are good but a rem 700 or sav PTA would be much easier to get parts for. All factory actions except the mark 5 needs a block/sleeve for barrels larger than 1.25"x28". You could go IBS unlimited and have a rifle as heavy as you care to tote around.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.