Wanting to build a custom rifle

Don't mess with my Chinese food. I'll get grumpy.
Me too! That's one sacrifice I will not make! Most of if not all are owned by Chinese Americans. I'm only talking about boycotting and maybe a little more retaliation on companies owned by China, Chinese nationals, etc.. I have no issues whatsoever with Chinese Americans.

So a few things have been ironed out at work so I can continue to plan for this rifle build. I have settled on the Bighorn Origin action as well as a caliber - 300 PRC. I'm leaning towards a Kreiger barrel but have some questions about contour and rifling. Since the main purpose of this build is hunting I do not want too heavy of a barrel and I want a fluted barrel. Is a fluted #4 sporter barrel - 26" a good choice in your opinion??? I would like to be capable of 1,000 yards plus if need be. Another question is standard rifling or 5R? Does 5R really make much of a difference?

I used a 26" Proof barrel, light Sendero contour on mine. 1/10 twist. Many are using 1/9.5 but it wasn't a option when I bought my Proof. You may check on the price of the Kreiger with fluting as you may be getting up close to the same price range. I think Kreiger makes cut rifled and standard rifling also.

B25D3A23-686E-4CBA-8866-8EEE47893B42.jpeg

Last edited:
I used a 26" Proof barrel, light Sendero contour on mine. 1/10 twist. Many are using 1/9.5 but it wasn't a option when I bought my Proof. You may check on the price of the Kreiger with fluting as you may be getting up close to the same price range. I think Kreiger makes cut rifled and standard rifling also.

View attachment 192985
yeah, I see Altus shooting has Proof Carbon Prefits for $829. By the time I get a Kreiger or Bartlein, have it chambered, fluted, muzzle threaded, it looks to be right around $800.

So a few things have been ironed out at work so I can continue to plan for this rifle build. I have settled on the Bighorn Origin action as well as a caliber - 300 PRC. I'm leaning towards a Kreiger barrel but have some questions about contour and rifling. Since the main purpose of this build is hunting I do not want too heavy of a barrel and I want a fluted barrel. Is a fluted #4 sporter barrel - 26" a good choice in your opinion??? I would like to be capable of 1,000 yards plus if need be. Another question is standard rifling or 5R? Does 5R really make much of a difference?
Krieger will not make a stainless steel #4 contour 30 caliber barrel. The smallest they will build is a #4.5 contour. They will make a 30 caliber chromoly barrel all the way down to a #0 contour. They will not flute a contour smaller than a #5.5 regardless of what it is made from.

Krieger will not make a stainless steel #4 contour 30 caliber barrel. The smallest they will build is a #4.5 contour. They will make a 30 caliber chromoly barrel all the way down to a #0 contour. They will not flute a contour smaller than a #5.5 regardless of what it is made from.
Thanks for letting me know!

If you are wanting stainless steel, a Krieger 26" #4.5 contour is a nice size barrel for a 30 caliber hunting rifle.

If you are wanting stainless steel, a Krieger 26" #4.5 contour is a nice size barrel for a 30 caliber hunting rifle.
So a #5.5 fluted should weight close to the same as a #4.5 non fluted? Again, price wise roughly the same as a Proof Carbon. Can anyone chime in on accuracy of Proof Carbons? Pros and Cons? Weight will obviously be a Pro.

So a #5.5 fluted should weight close to the same as a #4.5 non fluted? Again, price wise roughly the same as a Proof Carbon. Can anyone chime in on accuracy of Proof Carbons? Pros and Cons? Weight will obviously be a Pro.
My 2nd Proof is going on a 6.5 PRC. I've had great results with mine on my 300PRC. Still developing a load but so far it's liked everything I've fed it in 190-215 class bullets. Pro is the weight for most that buy them. Cons- can't paint the Carbon Fiber if wanting and if wanting the look of flutes that can't be done either. I don't think they make a 1/9.5 twist in 26". I used a 1/10 on mine.

Call nick at straightjacket armory they make great shouldered prefits. I got a proof carbon sendaro light. They have benchmark blanks and I think prefits are on sale right now. I think hawkins requires an m5 inlet. I bought my stock on ebay and it was bdl inlet which really limits your dbm options. I went with hs precision expensive but nice especially for hunting with the flush mag. 6.5x284 arc nuckeus area 419 brake huber 2 stage trigger area 419 brake mcmillan hunters edge stock dipped in old barnwood cleared with matte epoxy.

Attachments

• 15891691202619178624340031097339.jpg
    15891691202619178624340031097339.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
I have thought about doing what you are looking into as well, my question is, are the pre-fit barrels at SAMMI specs and what happens if you check headspace and is out of spec? I own a 28 Nosler and I like it alot, but a SAMMI spec will push the 180 and 195 grain bullets deep in the neck shoulder, you would definitely need to anneal the cases to aid in preventing the dreaded donut. Just something to think about.
What kind of action on your 28 Nosler? If you have custom action, there may be many prefit barrel options available to you. https://straightjacketarmory.com/product-category/pre-fit-barrels/

Shoot Straight!

StraightShooter77

Straight Jacket Armory -Evanston, Wyoming
www.straightjacketarmory.com
(307) 707-3181 Ext 1

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.