Let’s see your custom 6.5-300 Weatherby/6.5 Weatherby/Wright/Hoyer

I don't want to high jack the thread but this video bothers me on the 6.5-300 Bee. So if the original poster wants to delete it I'm ok with that. 44 seconds into the video Adam claims he helped develop the 6.5-300 Weatherby. I posted a comment 2 years ago asking what he did to develop the cartridge and what the difference was between that and my 6.5-300 Weatherby Wright Hoyer made back in the 1960's. As you can see in the comments my question was never answered. I don't think there is a single dimensional difference so what can he claim to have helped develop? Sorry but his comment bothers me and had me question his integrity.

I'm guessing he's referring to the issues they had to correct when they first deployed it in production. If I remember, it was tearing apart bullets and accuracy sucked. I don't think Adam Weatherby is a bad person. Im sure he feels small in the shadow his father created and glad to see him trying to represent.

I'm guessing he's referring to the issues they had to correct when they first deployed it in production. If I remember, it was tearing apart bullets and accuracy sucked. I don't think Adam Weatherby is a bad person. Im sure he feels small in the shadow his father created and glad to see him trying to represent.
Ok but what did he do to fix that. I would question that since this cartridge was worked on by Roy himself in the 50's and people have been shooting it ever since with out these issues.

I'm not sure. I'm guessing the ones in the 50's were a slower twist and a little easier on the jackets? I'm going off of memory but I think they did some stuff to the forcing cone? I really don't think Adam ( or anyone?) is going to poke his chest out and compare himself to his old man.

I don't think there is a single dimensional difference so what can he claim to have helped develop? Sorry but his comment bothers me and had me question his integrity.

Maybe you're just taking his statement too literally...

Corporate statements such as may be attributed to Adam might be misinterpreted. Adam can state that he helped develop any of the cartridges during his tenure simply by providing the facilities, employee talent/expertise and paychecks. Besides, he may have added his own guidance without any specificity whatsoever simply by looking at the development, shooting some tests, hunting, meetings, et al.

Give the guy a break. Look what he's accomplished by moving the entire company out of California and bringing new developments to our market.

:)

Oh jeeze! Ya, grandfather. I'm sure as time goes on and bullet/powder designs improve they'll offer more choices. Maybe someday they'll have the 6.5-300 premium ammunition dialed in like the 257/300.

I'm referring to the information they have on their website for reloading. I've have a copy of it and used the information. The bullet choice is very weak, I like the 127 LRX, 130 Swift, 140 Accubond.
And sure the Hammers are fun, I have loaded a few different ones in my gun.
I really don't know what all factory ammo they have. I have a box of 127 and the 130 Swift and they shoot very well like all their factory ammo.

I think some of the problem is, because of the higher velocities, the bullets need to be a tougher design. I suspect some of the long range bullets didn't fair too well at closer ranges when they were out testing them. I think hammer bullets are a really good choice not only because they're tough but being so insensitive to seating depth will help a bit for throat erosion. I have no idea what factory ammunition is available for it these days.

This is mine it's not custom, it's a Accumark Mark V. It had been my favorite 6.5 / 264 until I built a 6.5/7PRC. Now it's my favorite. Pushes 156's at 3200 comfortably, 124 HH 3600 comfortably.

Attachments

• 20240427_181506.jpg
    20240427_181506.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240427_181516.jpg
    20240427_181516.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 12
I'd like to try some of the Cutting Edge Bullets but dang they are expensive. Some are over $90/50. I used to work the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show (back when it was called that) for Bobbly Hart and he shared his booth space with them. Dan and Trap are very upstanding guys and very detail oriented when it comes to their work. Most of their bullets will have to wait till I get a 7 twist barrel because that's what their site says in the details of most of the bullets I looked at.

I'm referring to the information they have on their website for reloading. I've have a copy of it and used the information. The bullet choice is very weak, I like the 127 LRX, 130 Swift, 140 Accubond.
And sure the Hammers are fun, I have loaded a few different ones in my gun.
I really don't know what all factory ammo they have. I have a box of 127 and the 130 Swift and they shoot very well like all their factory ammo.
When I looked I saw a 129 HH.

The others listed are likely OK, but I have a little experience with the 124 HH @ 4000 fps.

The Swift and Accubond are decent bullets, they hold together, but that 3+ caliber expansion will limit penetration at times.

Recent Posts