Weatherby 6.5-300

Jim in Cali

Weatherby finally brought back the 6.5-300 it will be on their menu Oct. 1st 2015 they promise 100fps + faster then the Nosler. Did not mention bullet weights though.

Very very cool.

Oops, did I say that.

Well not really. 6.5/300 Wby, 7mm/300 Wby 8mm/300 Wby 338/300 Wby aka 340 Wby would surely scratch my itch in the same way as the Noslers if only not belted.

For belted, for tradition, I will stick with 257 Wby, 270 Wby 7mm Wby and 300 Wby.

For some reason the xx-378 Wby, 416 and 460 just does grab me enough to have one in my safe to play with.

Weatherby finally brought back the 6.5-300 it will be on their menu Oct. 1st 2015 they promise 100fps + faster then the Nosler. Did not mention bullet weights though.

Shame they couldn't make the .264 Weatherby (based off the .257/.270/7mm Weatherby case).

I bet with the current 6.5 craze, they could make a killing. And it would be a much more efficient design, and wouldn't be as bad of a barrel burner, IMO.

Shame they couldn't make the .264 Weatherby (based off the .257/.270/7mm Weatherby case).

I bet with the current 6.5 craze, they could make a killing. And it would be a much more efficient design, and wouldn't be as bad of a barrel burner, IMO.

Yeah we ask for either one but I think they chose to do their original they did way before it's time which was the 300 version, other companies offer the 6.5-257 and I think for the Weatherby standards of high velocity they opted out on that one. I pleaded for them to standardize the 6.5-06 Ackley if they didn't want to resurrect the 6.5-300 due to all of the barrel burners Whiners. They have not done a new cartridge for quite some time so this is a cool thing. By the way you can all view the story here on Weatherby Nation. http://weatherbynation.com/index.php?topic=13144.0

The free bore in Weatherby is a real problem. My 240 I just had built will be my last Weatherby. You can find better cartridges & better brass.
Thanks, Kirk

The free bore in Weatherby is a real problem. My 240 I just had built will be my last Weatherby. You can find better cartridges & better brass.
Thanks, Kirk
I can empathize if you feel frustrated because what you had built did not meet your needs. It would help us understand more if you explained why it did not meet your expectations.

Free bore is not a problem it is an engineering decision. It may take some thinking to make use of it. Can you share what your challenge with it is.

The Weatherby brass is made by Nosler/Norma. Renowned by many as some of the best. YYMV so please share with us what when wrong here.

You had it "built". Was it Weatherby built it for you. If not tell us more about who built it and why you are disappointed.

My 300 Weatherby with all of its freebore was not problem at all for me. It was a matter of finding the right powder, primer combo, combined with a normal seating test. It was no harder than any of my other rifle\cartridge combos. I have realized what I like, and what my rifle likes in seating depth, are two different things.

As for Brass quality, well like Fred said Norma\Nosler\Weatherby brass is some of the best in the business. Second to Lapua, in my opinion.

The infamous Wby freebore may actually be a good thing with this cartridge, especially when working with the long 160 gr Matrix VLD bullets !
Berger will not sit idle and have a 155-160 gr 6.5mm Hybrid out soon enough, they currently are behind in bullet weight in the 6.5 and will rectify that

I still don't see why the belt is an issue , I never use it to headspace anyway and my bone stock Win70 belted 300 Win Mag was my most accurate rifle, easily out shot some of my $$$ customs in unbelted catridges

some more info on the 6.5-300 Wby here

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gu...300-weatherby-magnum-cartridge?src=SOC&dom=fb

Boy that seems to be lot of powder to be burnt in a .264 bore, even with the super slow powders available today. I was wondering what kind of barrel life your expecting from this cartridge. Would it be worth that shortened barrel life for an extra 100-200 fps ??

Boy that seems to be lot of powder to be burnt in a .264 bore, even with the super slow powders available today. I was wondering what kind of barrel life your expecting from this cartridge. Would it be worth that shortened barrel life for an extra 100-200 fps ??
The long Weatherby neck should put it right with the 26 Nosler. Some believe including me the the long case neck takes the brunt of the heat, and not the throat.

As for the double radius shoulder aiding in performance and barrel life. Well the jury is still out on that one....

Weatherby said it's not about barrel life. If that is a worry, seek elsewhere for your jollies.

I would bet money the 6.5-300 Wby barrel will last longer than an equal pressure .26 Nosler due to the longer neck. Never-the -less barrels are replaceable. Some of my rifles are on their third barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.