Building a custom rifle help

JD-ODINSON

I've been looking into buying a new hunting rifle in .308 Win for around $2,000, but I have been considering building one in the same price range and was curious if it was possible and worth it over just buying something. I would prefer it to be fairly lightweight too (6-8lbs w/o the scope). Any input would be great. For example, the rifles I've been considering to buy have been Bergara premier series (mainly the Mountain 2.0) and the Springfield Armory 2020 waypoint.

To each his own, and my experience has been custom rifles are for my hunting needs an absolute waste of money. (Having one built right now) Yes they offer some things factory rifles don't, and anymore the factory options are a lot. I have only three custom rifles due to the cost/performance compared to factory. For the caliber your talking just buy a Savage, Browning, or Tikka with a Leupold VX5/VX6 for less money and spend the extra on hunts. I'm fortunate and have been reloading for decades, with some basic equipment improve accuracy skills (Lapping, bedding, triggers, springs, etc.). I have never...I will say NEVER NOT been able to get a Savage or Browning factory rifle to shoot under .75"/100yd groups.

$2000, is pretty bottom dollar….for example:
Tikka T3X - $750, I think
B&C stock - $400
Rebarrel - $800
Brake - $150

Result should do 1/2 MOA, if you can.

Stock Tikka T3X is a 0.6-1 MOA rifle.
A month ago I just finished loading for a TX3 Super Light in .308 with a VX5 3-15 in Leupold 1pc Rings Total weight 7lb 6oz on a scale. Rifle $850/Rings $107 out the door, Scope $1080 to my door, total cost ready to shoot $2037. Nosler Brass, 180 Accubond, CCI 200, 56.5 Varget, @ 2590fps = .673" 3 shot/100yd.

My hunting rifles have mostly been factory Savages that I pulled the barrel for a custom barrel. Bedded the recoil lug and put a zeiss or Leupold scope on. With the accufit stock Savage has you already have a LOP and cheek rest adjustments with very little added weight.
700-800 for a rifle, 400-800 for barrel, 10 dollars for bedding compound and off you go.
Or heck buy a Savage ultralite and you already have a proof barrel and weight around 6# for $1300.
I will say customs are more fun but it's a pay to play game.

My hunting rifles have mostly been factory Savages that I pulled the barrel for a custom barrel. Bedded the recoil lug and put a zeiss or Leupold scope on. With the accufit stock Savage has you already have a LOP and cheek rest adjustments with very little added weight.
700-800 for a rifle, 400-800 for barrel, 10 dollars for bedding compound and off you go.
Or heck buy a Savage ultralite and you already have a proof barrel and weight around 6# for $1300.
I will say customs are more fun but it's a pay to play game.
HaHa...this is nuts and I'm out of new rifles for this year. I finally got one in 28 Nosler this spring and finished loading for it also. I had issues getting the magazines to seat, and Savage replaced the stock and magazine no cost to me. It was the magazine that needed modified (remove plastic on top of base plate) and I was unhappy the first go around so I didn't put any effort into it. Rifle 6lb 5oz $1450 out the door, Tally Rings $60 3oz/Leupold VX6 3-18x50 $1700 1lb 7oz to my door, MB and More 5 Port TI/Tapered and Timed 2oz +-$230 to my door. Rifle will not shoot long taper/new high BC bullet under 1"/100yds. Nosler Brass, 160AB, Fed 215M, 84.5 Retumbo, @3350fps = .4"/100yd. I would have to go get the exact groups but it was under .5"

I have mostly custom rifles. Everything from trued Remington actions with Douglass barrel and B&C stock to full blown customs with Defiance actions, Proof barrels, and McMillan/Manners stocks. With that said, I think in the $2,000 price range you would be hard pressed to build a custom, unless you are taking a factory rifle and working it over. I wouldn't overlook the Christensen line of rifles. I just picked up a Ridgeline in 300wm and love it. I was a little hesitant, being use to customs, but it did not disappoint. During the barrel break in process I shot a 5 shot group that measured 0.42" at 100 yards. My worse group was 0.96" but that was my first group and I think I was partially to blame for the size. I am currently working up a load for it if my Bergers ever show up! My only complaint is the trigger. It has a Trigger Tech Primary which I am not fond of. I am partial to Timney Calvin Elite and Jewel triggers so I will probably be swapping triggers in the near future.

Jstanton....very nice. I agree on the custom cost.....but you can buy a custom action less than a 700 SS rifle now days. We are $3380 ea so far into the latest ones Defiance Anti Nitride, Rings, Brux SS, McMillan, Wyatt Box, Muzzle Brake, Trigger, Hawkins Metal, and this is before the smith chambers and puts them together. We are expecting north of 4K. What does it actually weigh and what was the OTD cost...rifle alone? It is so hard to get real costs (not MSRP) with the advertised costs all over the place.

Last edited:
Have never owned a custom rifle so cannot comment on them,but the way my Tikka rifles shoot I see no need for me to have a custom built.That being said,I am not a long range competition shooter just a lowly coyote hunter BUT I love doing it.

Last edited:
HaHa...this is nuts and I'm out of new rifles for this year. I finally got one in 28 Nosler this spring and finished loading for it also. I had issues getting the magazines to seat, and Savage replaced the stock and magazine no cost to me. It was the magazine that needed modified (remove plastic on top of base plate) and I was unhappy the first go around so I didn't put any effort into it. Rifle 6lb 5oz $1450 out the door, Tally Rings $60 3oz/Leupold VX6 3-18x50 $1700 1lb 7oz to my door, MB and More 5 Port TI/Tapered and Timed 2oz +-$230 to my door. Rifle will not shoot long taper/new high BC bullet under 1"/100yds. Nosler Brass, 160AB, Fed 215M, 84.5 Retumbo, @3350fps = .4"/100yd. I would have to go get the exact groups but it was under .5"
Not sure I fully understand what you're saying but I assume you're saying the ultralite is nuts…maybe I am nuts who knows lol.
My mom got annoyed with my dad about 5 months ago because he won't let her use any of his rifles. She called me and said she was buying a rifle and asked what to get. I talked her into a creedmoor in an ultralite and it's dead nuts accurate. I may not even do load development it shoots .56 right out of the box with a throw together load. I added the same brake as you as well.

reelamin....My very first "custom" was more what I would call a semi-custom. I used a new Rem 700 action ($450 at the time), Douglass Barrel, B&C Alaskan Ti stock, Timney 510 trigger, and oversized bolt knob. Spiral fluted bolt and barrel too. Had the action trued and all metal cerakoted. I was in to that gun for about $1900 including all gunsmith work. This was back in 2012 or 2013 I believe. After this gun I was hooked but it left a little to be desired, so all of my subsequent rifles were full customs. My last full custom was a 7mm Rem Mag, Curtis Axiom Action, Proof Sendero barrel, Western Precision carbon fiber stock, Harrels Gill brake, Timney Calvin Elite trigger, BDL style bottom metal, cerakoted metal, and throated for Berger VLD 180gr. This one set me back about $3,600 out the door. My next one will be a 300PRC with Defiance AnTi, Proof, Manners, Jewel, Hawkins, Wyatt, and brake. I expect this one to be north of $4k out the door.

As for the Christensen Ridgeline, I picked it up at my local gun shop in East Texas for $1899 plus tax. This was also the Burnt Bronze model. Ive seen them go for up to $2199. My local shop had this one on sale but you can pick up the regular model, without the burnt bronze cerakote, for the same price there right now. Weight was 6.8lbs on my scale at home.

In the "Hunting Fields" where there are,.. NO,.. Bench Rests, the properly, "tuned" / Loaded, Tikka's will "shoot" as good as any "Custom" for, Big Game Hunting to, 700- 800 Yards ( caliber, dependent of course ). Slightly, sub. MOA, gets, IT,. DONE, in the Field !
I shot, a 5" dia Group, Prone at, 700 Yards with, my .270 WSM, Tikka T-3 ( 140 grain, Berger Classic Hunter ).
Shot 2 Elk, ( 1 Sitting, 1 kneeling over, Stix ) with this Rifle so far and it Kills them, just as Dead as, my Custom, .338 Win Mag,..ever did !
Kicks less and about, 1.5 Pounds, Lighter !
I have, 3 "Lefty" Tikka's, for, Hunting, now !
Total "Investment" about, $3,500 for, all 3 Rifles,.. with Scopes.

Last edited: