Building a custom varmint rig??

G

Let's say you were going to build a custom varmint rig for some p-doggin'...what would you build?

Action, caliber, barrel (type, length, brand), and Stock.

Of course bullet...

Thanks!

...most important thing to remember... go with the best components you can possibly afford and then "double it"... just a little humor!

...while everyone has their favorites, you are likely to be happy with Nesika action (or other recommended custom); caliber depends on range and volume of shooting, but .223 is the most popular factory caliber; bullet weight will depend on distance you'll be shooting most; barrel = shilen select match appropriate for the bullet weight you select; McMillan stock... there you go... this rifle will give you "vision" for the next one... gotta go for it!

The first rifle I built started as a rem 700 LSS in 300 RUM. I bought it new for a donor action. The action was trued, trigger job, #5 krieger barrel 26" 7mm STW, and Mcmillian rem hunter stock. Shoots 156 Cauterucios.

The next one was a 338 Lapua, Mcmillian rem hunter stock (I like that stock!), Jewell trigger, PGW M18 action, #7 Lilja 28" fluted. 300 SMK's of course!

Now for a varmint rig....
I'm a little at a loss, for (Ballistically Challenged) varmint calibers. My firast inclination is 220 swift, 22-250, or something like that. Now, I hear guys saying that the wind will mess me up at long range with the lighter calibers. How about heavier bullets? I have no idea, for example, how a 75gr amax would perform in a 220 swift?

My self imposed limit is 500 yards on game...that is big game. But shootin' p-dogs I would attempt longer range shots since I don't share the same feelings towards p-dogs as I do towards elk, or deer, etc. Nor do I spend as much per head of game! I guess I think of p-dogs as practice.

I would like to build a varmint rig that can reach out and touch those SOB's. That is why I could use some help with stock type, barrel type, etc. I mean should I go with a BR type stock, tactical, hunting? Straight barrel, contoured, etc? Bullets?

With big game I know what's what. This varminting is a new animal for me.

Thanks for all who help!

In fact John my 22-250 has a 1-9" douglas premium on a rem 788 action. Not expensive, but a tack driver. The thing loves 69 grain SMKs over IMR4350 (highly recommended powder by many people for that bullet weight) and will usually shoot .2" at 100 yards when I do my part. I'd go 1-8" for the 75s, but with the 1-9" you can go with the various berger VLDs at or slightly greater than 70 grains, though they may not explode as well as you like. I just sort win brass for my 22-250, but the norma is excellent stuff. My friend uses it and it is unbelievably consistant, and you can get it in 220 swift as well. I have talked to several people that have either a 1-8" or 1-9" in 22-250 and have been very pleased.

[ 06-29-2004: Message edited by: shilen30 ]

I didn't state that I use a #5 contour. It is still heavy but manageable when packing it. You can't go wrong with krieger, broughton, lilja, and shilen select as well as many others. I prefer a bench style stock or just a varmint style stock: as long as it has a wider fore grip to grip the bags. You don't always require it in the field, but good groups are desired and this requires a lot of load developement and off the bench shooting so just get something that will grip the bags. Ground squirrels here in Idaho are tiny and make a very small target at 400 yards.

For volume shooting 223 hands down. Can burn up a 22-250 or Swift barrel in one day in a hot town. The big 22's are great with heavy bullets and will get you out to 7-800 on a fairly calm day.
For longe dogs or high winds, the 6mm cartridges with 105 or 107s are good or any of the 6.5mm also without getting to much recoil.
But what the hell, I use my 338 Lapua!

Chris, if I use my 338 lapua I won't need a varmint rifle. But, I don't want to waste barrel life in my lapua.

Last year in Wyoming I used my 7STW. I wasn't planning on p-doggin' but the guide suggested it after tagging out early.

Chris, what type of stock would you use?

How much to build me a rig?

Chris, I have a 26" lilja barrel laying around in 7STW. It is SS fluted #6 contour.

What do you think of this with a McMillian Hunter Benchrest stock built on a 700 action?

22 BR is my next one with a krieger or broughton barrel. Get the good stuff. I don't haver lots of cash so the rifles I have had built were built on rem and winM70 actions and they work fine, but if you have the money, get the best. A good pillar bedded or full length bedded stock with a floated barrel is an absolute must in my opinion, and unless you have a complete aversion to synthetic stocks, get the synthetic (McMillan, HS prec, etc).

My personal preference is for Jewell Triggers, Leupold scopes, PacNor barrels, and HS Precision stocks. And a goooood gunsmith to put it all together.

I'd suggest you need 2 rigs, one firing a mild cartridge in the .17 Rem to .223 class for the first 250 yards and another, a big 6mm, for everything else.

I love .17 Remington but 4000 fps leads to a lot of fouling. .222 is probably perfect, .223 is cheap and available. My current rifle in that class is the .221. It's a 700 VSSF factory b/a dropped into an HS stock with a Jewell HVR and Leupold 4.5-14X. Mine works well out to 200, gets me by out to 250.

For the bigger stuff, I used .257 Roberts and .25-'06 quite a bit a decade or so ago. I've never messed with .243 or 6mm. A couple years ago a guy built me a 6x.284 on a short 700 action. Mine had a 14 twist, worked good for bullets up through the 75 grain VMAX which was the heaviest I tried. It generally lived on RL 19 and 70 grain B-Tips at about 3850. It was a light gun so recoil added up but it sure hammered 'em hard.

I go back and forth over the big .22s. Sometimes they seem like the answer to everything, sometimes they seem pointless.

I'm looking forward to the new .204 Ruger. Think it might add something useful for me.

AKA, I'm getting the same impression.

Thats why I'm thinking of building with my 7STW lilja I have laying around.

If 6 & 6.5 will work then 7 should also.

Besides, i'll shoot this barrel to death then maybe try something else!

Any opinions on stock?

I was looking at the Mcmillian Hunter Benchrest.

John,
Shoot me an email at [email protected] and we see what we can come up with for you.
Chris

AKA Chuck.... I agree with you. I love the 17 but I disagree on the fouling. Seems to be an old wifes tale to me. I have several 17s and shot that many more doggin and ain't had a lick of trouble with fouling. Two weks ago I went doggin with CZ and my wife shot 300 rounds down a 17 Rem CZ 527 without any problems. Ran a brush down it and a few patches with Butch's at the end of the day and ran another 400 down it the next day!

[ 06-30-2004: Message edited by: chris matthews ]

I would build a switch barrel with 2 bolts one in 308 bolt face and the other in 338 lapua and have a 22 BR shooting 55g Vmax bullets for out to 400 Yards 6.5/284 shooting 140g Amax bullets for shots out to 1200 Yards and a 338 Lapua shooting 300g SMK for those shots form 1200 yards to 3000 yards. I would build this on a Bat 8.5" action Bruce Bare stock good barrels 5.5x22 nightforce with an adjustable base and brakes on all the barrels
Crow Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.