8mm Thread

I got one as a job perk about 5-6 years ago.Browning ss abolt. Shot pretty good.I have several friends that shoot 8mmRM.I shot a 340 wby for lots of years so the 325 wsm seemed like a p-shooter to me. But I shot several elk and my son pushing 600 yrds and my best mule deer since rifle was such a nice packer. Mag is restictive and I have bench buddies that shoot 300 wsm off a 270 case with better shoulder and same 200 grain bullet with better results,bullet selection poor. I do like the rifle for timber hunts,but would rather have one of my 338 normas

Thanks for your experienced comment! MontanaRilfeman suggested almost the same than you did, so the 325 WSM is kind of a one - way street. From what I know is there still hope for the good 8mms like 8 mm RM, 8x68S and others. In the USA, Hornady starts doing a good and promising work on the 8mms. At last they came out with a new 323' SST with 175gr. for LR and later on there will surely be a 220gr version of it for the hotties. :) The same thing can be watched in Europe, good bullets are to come and the 8 mms finally will get the high ranked place they deserve. gun)

the 8mm Rem Mag has long been a favorite, having loaded for it for many years and having seen it's accuracy and ability to dump large bull moose and brown bear in Alaska has me convinced it needs more attention than it currently has .. back in 2000 I had several wildcat schemes going and one of them was the 8mm-300 RUM..... naturally, the lack of high BC bullets killed the dream...and I ended up with my smiths version of a 300 RUM AI ( similar to 300 Tomahawk) and a hand full of 300 RUMS, 7.82 Warbird and later a 338 Edge

This time around....... as an additional barrel to my current project.... I have necked down my 338 Pro to 8mm ( 338 Norma Mag parent case)

.342 neck length and a 35 degree shoulder yields case water capacity at approximately 108 grains
(quick design estimate) 14.5 more grains than the 8mm Rem Mag and 23.1 gr more than the 8x68S RWS.... the shorter fatter case will be perfect for running the heavier bullets without impacting powder space... the throat/ leade will be set to run the bullets to seat at the base of the neck/shoulder and still cycle through my rifle set up with AICS cip detachable mags.... the Rem 700 platform is perfectly suited for this wildcat cartridge........
this effectively recreates the power I envisioned with a 8mm-300 RUM years back........ all dimensions are being reviewed and a reamer will be ordered for my newest wildcat the

"8mm XIPHOS"

the Xiphos was a short sword use by the ancient Greek Warriors the Spartans with deadly effectiveness...... as seen in action in the movie "300"
it means simply ...... penetrating light.....

the 8mm Rem Mag has long been a favorite, having loaded for it for many years and having seen it's accuracy and ability to dump large bull moose and brown bear in Alaska has me convinced it needs more attention than it currently has

+! :) I was using an 8x57IS (Mauser) over a long time with best results on game, it never let me down. But, this round wasn't made for LRH! Out max. to 300 m. Nowadays I'm mostly using 7x65R and 300WM. Currently I've been completely intrigued by the 8x68S and will have one build in 2014 parallel to a 7 RM. The 8x68S is easy to reload (important to me) and has plenty of perfomance which is more than sufficient for all European game and plainsgame in Africa. That's good enough for me so far. :D

.342 neck length and a 35 degree shoulder yields case water capacity at approximately 108 grains
(quick design estimate) 14.5 more grains than the 8mm Rem Mag and 23.1 gr more than the 8x68S RWS....

Wow! Really, that's about rocket science! :) I'd love to see this gun in action.

this effectively recreates the power I envisioned with a 8mm-300 RUM years back........ all dimensions are being reviewed and a reamer will be ordered for my newest wildcat the

"8mm XIPHOS"

the Xiphos was a short sword use by the ancient Greek Warriors the Spartans with deadly effectiveness...... as seen in action in the movie "300"
it means simply ...... penetrating light.....

The film was great, I loved it, and this particular round also will be! gun) I wish you the very best with your project and please hold me updated!

LM-102

Very high BC Bullet for windy long Ranges

LM-102.jpg

LM-102, 55 mm long, 16 g heavy, BC1000 1,219, for 170 mm Gain twist barrel

That's the actual (brass) bullet for the 8x68 Taras delivering 1985ft/s at a distance of 1200m/1312yd. 323' LR - bullets on their way forward. :D gun)

LM-102

Very high BC Bullet for windy long Ranges

LM-102.jpg

LM-102, 55 mm long, 16 g heavy, BC1000 1,219, for 170 mm Gain twist barrel

That's the actual (brass) bullet for the 8x68 Taras delivering 1985ft/s at a distance of 1200m/1312yd. 323' LR - bullets on their way forward. :D gun)

Interesting... it looks a lot like a GSC bullet. Interesting tail

Thanks Mark! Here are some informations about lead - free bullets which I was posting in the current Barnes thread. Unfortunately it seemed so far not to be of interest. :rolleyes:
My post includes data for the 408 Cheytac as well and of course 8mm (323') . This new rifle G -6 in the brand new 8 x70 is currently tested in Norway. It's based on a Christensen system and has a GRS - stock. They were already shooting out to 2000m ! That's quite a distance. I'd also like to hear the opinion of Broz about this development.

Lead - free producers like Barnes and others will come under (big) pressure since the development of lead -free bullets for the exclusive purpose of LR has already made big steps forward.
The Lutz Moeller Company in Germany has developed two different kinds of LR - bullets for the 408 Cheytac made of brass. Chey Tac 1021 with a 26g/401gr bullet weight and the 1022 with 30g/463gr ...!! Both hold a velocity of stunning 549m/s or 1801ft/s at 1200m/1312 yards. You'll find loading data on his web sites also for American powders like RL 22, H 4350, H 4831 and IMR 7828.
Under a project called G-6 (Gewehr 6/ rifle 6) Moeller develops a special LR - round LM -101 (100% brass) for a... .323 round, the brandnew 8 x 70! In addition the G-6 gets an interchangeable barrel for 338LM. This barrel in 338LM is thought for "low cost" training sessions. :D Looks like that thinks are getting better.

BC1000 for the Cheytac 1021= 0,95 and BC1000 for the Cheytac 1022 = 1,069

Last edited:
Very interesting indeed. Not much of a hunting application but it looks like a good tactical bullet. It would be interesting to see how it shot against the CE bullets.

If you have any links to videos or articles (in english) I would be interested in seeing them.

Very interesting indeed. Not much of a hunting application but it looks like a good tactical bullet. It would be interesting to see how it shot against the CE bullets.

If you have any links to videos or articles (in english) I would be interested in seeing them.

Of course, here is the first one about the 8x68 Taras and its LR - bullet LM - 102

LM-102

I'll send the one for the Cheytacs with the next post. The LM 101 in 8x70 is still a secret, but it's in action. Lutz Moeller wants to secure his product, because there was a lot of "copying" throughout the last years. :rolleyes:

Love the thread - hope it lasts and stays 'alive' - I've been 8mm curious for years and have always thought the plain-jane 8x57 was under appreciated. I've got a couple projects in various stages right now:

1) an 8x57 woods rifle which will have a red-dot reflex sight on it (similar to a scout rifle) and will shoot 170-180 gr bullets

2) an 8mm-06 improved for 190-200 gr bullets for longer range (as an aside, this will be done in parallel with a 338-06 improved so load development and performance comparison will interesting)

Downside was having to look long and hard to find 8mm sporter barrels

Love the thread - hope it lasts and stays 'alive' - I've been 8mm curious for years and have always thought the plain-jane 8x57 was under appreciated. I've got a couple projects in various stages right now:

1) an 8x57 woods rifle which will have a red-dot reflex sight on it (similar to a scout rifle) and will shoot 170-180 gr bullets

2) an 8mm-06 improved for 190-200 gr bullets for longer range (as an aside, this will be done in parallel with a 338-06 improved so load development and performance comparison will interesting)

Downside was having to look long and hard to find 8mm sporter barrels

Hi! Jepp, you're right about the thread, and there will be hopefully some more people sharing their experiences with us about the fantastic 8mms. All the guys with 8mm standard guns like the 8x57IS (8mm Mauser), or lovely magnums like 8mmRM and 8x68S etc. are friendly invited! :) The 8x57IS is widely used in Europe and mostly with 180 - 200gr bullets. Use German load data, because the US loads are often of extremely poor performance. That means differences in velocity up to 300ft/s and that's far too much. 8mm (.323) sporter barrels should be relatively easy to find, because we often use Lilja and Krieger!! lightbulbIf you can't get one of those purchase Lothar Walther, that's what many others and me on the old continent prefer.

I remember a conversation I had with a Winchester-FN researcher a few years back when the new generation of Winchester short mag's were being released and he said that out of all of them, the 325 (8mm) was the most ballistically 'efficient' and the one that they were most excited about. I don't even know if it was a commercial success or not and I did consider buying one, but decided to go with a 8mm-06AI instead.

In Europe we have a wide variety of potent 8mm rounds both rimmed and not rimmed. If you once get the opportunity and are coming over a used 8x68S, so just run and buy. If not, get yourself a rifle chambered in this calibre. You won't regret it. Looking after even more power and performance you easily can "blow" it up to a 8x68S AI. In the US you'll get brass for it both from Norma and RWS without issues. The great American 8mmRM then would be my other personal choice. While hunting at shorter distances (- 300m) the 8x57IS and 8mm- 06 will do fine and are more than sufficient. gun)