.308, 8mm, .338?

Underwood ammo sells loaded ammo with extreme penetrator

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191030-115857.png
    Screenshot_20191030-115857.png
    664.3 KB · Views: 88
I have known a couple of guys who guided in Northern Canada, one old guy carried a 30-06 with 220 gr RN, he seemed to have a disdain for hunters who showed up with anything magnum even .338 or .375, on the other hand he was impressed with a German client shooting the 9.3x64 Brenneke, said it was very effective on Grizzly.
The other guy used a 45-70 with heavy hardcast.
Both said that if you have to shoot a charging bear, plan to only get one shot, so you better wait till he's around 8-10 yards and put it in the brain or neck to knock him down and ideally with enough penetration to reach the vitals from that angle so he bleeds out before waking up...
Both guides knew several other guides that carried nothing but a 30-30 because that is what they were confident with in that situation...

Just curious, but why the limitation to 200grain in each caliber?

What ultimately is the intended use? Long range bear hunting is very different then a bear protection round.

I wanted to start somewhere to get some input. Recently I heard of some folks getting mauled by grizzlies in either Montana or Wyoming. Hopefully I get to move to Wyoming. Since I am basically a sissy boy I plan to switch from a 6.5 RPM to a .338RPM for elk, deer and pronghorn hunting. Of course it would be a wildcat unless Weatherby introduces it prior to my move.

Hope that answers your question.

I wanted to start somewhere to get some input. Recently I heard of some folks getting mauled by grizzlies in either Montana or Wyoming. Hopefully I get to move to Wyoming. Since I am basically a sissy boy I plan to switch from a 6.5 RPM to a .338RPM for elk, deer and pronghorn hunting. Of course it would be a wildcat unless Weatherby introduces it prior to my move.

Hope that answers your question.

Heck yes.

338 in the 200 to 250 weight class would definitely get my vote. And make it an appropriate bullet, I dont care how fast a 300 grain Berger is moving, I wouldnt trust it as the only thing between me and a grizz.

8mm is the smallest I would go. But i dont think it has anywhere near the bullet selection.

Also, I think the gun selection will be critical too, as I said previously I dont like long guns if there's a possibility of a close encounter. I dont need the extra 60-80fps to justify a long barrel. I'm also struggling with the idea of a brake, I don't like the idea of having my senses rattled if I can't get ear protection in.

Heck yes.

338 in the 200 to 250 weight class would definitely get my vote. And make it an appropriate bullet, I dont care how fast a 300 grain Berger is moving, I wouldnt trust it as the only thing between me and a grizz.

8mm is the smallest I would go. But i dont think it has anywhere near the bullet selection.

Also, I think the gun selection will be critical too, as I said previously I dont like long guns if there's a possibility of a close encounter. I dont need the extra 60-80fps to justify a long barrel. I'm also struggling with the idea of a brake, I don't like the idea of having my senses rattled if I can't get ear protection in.

I decided on the Hammer Hunter 213 grainer. It looks like it would hit about 3,000 feet per second from a 24" barrel.

The idea of struggling to put in hearing protection makes no sense to me. Everything I shoot has a brake. When I go to the range I insert earplugs before I get out of the car. Before I fire a shot I put on electronic muffs. When I go hunting the electronic muff go on before I pick up the rifle. Like I said, I'm a sissy boy.

I decided on the Hammer Hunter 213 grainer. It looks like it would hit about 3,000 feet per second from a 24" barrel.

The idea of struggling to put in hearing protection makes no sense to me. Everything I shoot has a brake. When I go to the range I insert earplugs before I get out of the car. Before I fire a shot I put on electronic muffs. When I go hunting the electronic muff go on before I pick up the rifle. Like I said, I'm a sissy boy.

Ever see how fast a Grizzly moves?

Fair enough. But I know anytime I've been on a Bear that I'd considered I might have to shoot, I wouldnt have had time for ear protection. Hence my comment.

I agree with Bill Hamilton to a degree. With the new age of bullets on the market you can get a short stubby heavy bullet like a swift a frame, or you can get a very long bullet with an exceptional b.c and still carry some weight like a cutting edge bullet. The main thing is pick a good bullet ie: bonded,solid, ect. I shoot a 225 nosler e tip in a 338/378 weatherby and there's nothing short or stubby about that bullet.
What kind of velocity you getting there, Travis ? Just curious. Seems like I've seen 3480, or so, with mine, but I stepped up to heavier slugs, and now I can't remember for sure, and I don't trust those early notes of mine.

Is there any difference in big bear stopping power using 200 grain bullets in each of the three?

While I'm "cursed" with "old school" thought process and logic....I believe that sectional density (even with mono's) should be considered.

With a bear, I believe that penetration should be "heavily" ( pun intended) considered. That said, I think that the .338 would be the much better bear bear killer/stopper.....but a 200 grain bullet would "handicap" an otherwise super cartridge! memtb

While I'm "cursed" with "old school" thought process and logic....I believe that sectional density (even with mono's) should be considered.

With a bear, I believe that penetration should be "heavily" ( pun intended) considered. That said, I think that the .338 would be the much better bear bear killer/stopper.....but a 200 grain bullet would "handicap" an otherwise super cartridge! memtb

I did one saw dust penetration test with a .340 Weatherby and Nosler 210 Partition at 3,212 feet per second. The recovered bullet weighed 180 grains. The "wound" channel was huge! I have no idea what a recovered Hammer 213 grain Hammer Hunter would weigh, but am convinced it would pernitrate even deeper. Also, I ran an old school Barnes round nose 300 grain lead core bullet at 2,800 fps. It went more than five feet because it went out the other end of the saw dust. Its wound channel was about six inches diameter all the way through.

Maybe someone who has tested a 213 would chime in with a fact instead of my wishful thinking.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.