.308, 8mm, .338?

I would say yes and go with the larger diameter. The shorter bullet length due to larger diameter, especially when considering the 200 gr, would give the bullet more cause to tumble creating more damage and energy transfer.

I like the 338 for hunting bear!

Not enough to be concerned with. 200 gr is 200 gr only real difference would be in how fast you shoot them in each cartridge

Never happen. 8mm, though not a bad cartridge, is not a favorite here in the US. A smaller diameter cartridge at same speed and weight gets greater penetration, but does you no good exiting the animal without optimal tissue destruction. When hunting something that can eat me, I go with the .338!!!

Assuming a cartridge capable of driving those bullets say 3000 FPS, good bullets such as the Hammer, and I would hunt bear with any of them.

I would prefer a little more weight in the 8mm, and .338.

The .375's remain my idea of what a bear rifle should be. Not to mean others aren't good enough.

You guys are breaking my heart. I wanted to read how the 8mm was God's answer to my question.
Built a couple 30stw/30-8mag whatever you prefer to call them and they are lights out shooters. One loves 215s and the other 155vlds .... go figure

I use a 340 Roy with 250 gr Nosler Partitions @3050 fps and still like to be at 100-150 yds distance from any kind of "griz". Will try some 255 gr Sledge Hammers this year. JM

I am a 338 fan but I shot my largest black bear (500 + pounds) with an 8-06 AI using a Speer 200 grain bullet. It was under a hundred yards and he went down quickly and got up just as quickly, not unusual for big bears when hit, and my hunting partner hit him with his .340 Wby which produced the same result, so I hit him again and he stayed down this time. I think anything 30 cal or greater is fine for black bears if its a quality bullet but the biggest ones can soak up a lot of "hit". The toughest part of shooting black bears, I find, is picking the right aiming point because in any kind of poor light it's just a black blob.

How do they compare to 45-70, 300gr, at 2150fps at 100 yards with barns bullits? Is there alot of difference?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.