.308, 8mm, .338?

You guys are breaking my heart. I wanted to read how the 8mm was God's answer to my question.
Keep in mind the 8mm is .323 & the difference between it and a 338 win are almost negligible when it comes to size. It really comes down to speed. If you can drive the 8mm faster you in turn create more energy than a 338 Winchester. Also the 8mm is built on the 375 h&h case. As far as bear medicine the 375 world is hard to beat.

I agree with Bill Hamilton to a degree. With the new age of bullets on the market you can get a short stubby heavy bullet like a swift a frame, or you can get a very long bullet with an exceptional b.c and still carry some weight like a cutting edge bullet. The main thing is pick a good bullet ie: bonded,solid, ect. I shoot a 225 nosler e tip in a 338/378 weatherby and there's nothing short or stubby about that bullet.

You guys are breaking my heart. I wanted to read how the 8mm was God's answer to my question.
Sorry Rich, but the .338 Win. Mag. is one of the perfered standard rifles for large bear. I personally prefer a .375 Weatherby magnum, but I use my .338 Win. Mag. BAR for up close and personal work. Your 8 mm Rem mag. should work well with 200 grain Nosler partition bullets so have fun.

If you wanted 8mm to be your answer, then I hate to say that 9.3mm is probably what you should be looking at.

It has the inherent superiority of a metric sized bullet, and the bragging rights of being bigger then a tiny lil 338.

On a serious note. Something about Bear hunting and long barreled rifles that I dont like. So my vote would be whatever short(er) barreled handy rifle that can shoot the (appropriate) projectile as fast as possible.

If you wanted 8mm to be your answer, then I hate to say that 9.3mm is probably what you should be looking at.

It has the inherent superiority of a metric sized bullet, and the bragging rights of being bigger then a tiny lil 338.

On a serious note. Something about Bear hunting and long barreled rifles that I dont like. So my vote would be whatever short(er) barreled handy rifle that can shoot the (appropriate) projectile as fast as possible.
This is where a BAR is worth its weight in gold.

+1 for the 9.3 x 62! It's known for shooting the 286 grain bullets in Africa, but I like the 250's, and you can hunt out to 400 yards with them too!

.....I think others are ignoring the 200 gr part. The larger the bore, the shorter the bullet - all other things being equal, and less penetration. I would go with the .30 cal or the 8mm....

Not ignoring, but allowing a bit of flex. My choice these days would be the Hammer line. In .308 the 199, in 8mm the 200, and in .338 the 213 driven from a good magnum case at 3000 fps (or more) are all enough for anything on this continent.

The 213 is a beauty of a bullet. I'm about to start load development for them and have high hopes... very short bearing surface, they should be fast!

Every other Hammer bullet I've put on a scale has been 1 to 2 grams heavier then the listed weight. The 213 weighed in at 211. So it's even closer to your 200 grain target.

How do they compare to 45-70, 300gr, at 2150fps at 100 yards with barns bullits? Is there alot of difference?
300 grain out if a 45-70 will kill anything that breathes. Cutting edge and leigh high bullets make specialty bullets in .458 that are deviststing to anything shot with. . Barnes makes a 250 and grain copper hollow point that has extreme penetration and large expansion.
The extreme penetrator round which is sold brass and shaped like a phillips screw driver has taken elephant and cape Buffalo.

Let me tell you, Steve made me a 258 grain sledgehammer for the 9.3x62. I load it to 2587fps and would have no problem using it on big bears. I know this isn't to the OP's question, I just want people to know more about the cartridge and the bullet that Steve custom made for me.
To the OP if you're stuck with 200grains I would go 8mm but all the decisions depend on bullet construction and cartridge being used. Black bears are way different than Browns; so that would factor in too.

300 grain out if a 45-70 will kill anything that breathes. Cutting edge and leigh high bullets make specialty bullets in .458 that are deviststing to anything shot with. . Barnes makes a 250 and grain copper hollow point that has extreme penetration and large expansion.
The extreme penetrator round which is sold brass and shaped like a phillips screw driver has taken elephant and cape Buffalo.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.