8mm Thread

Lots of good alternatives, heavier longer bullets make the big cases more usable. Just a matter of you applying your preferences, and needs towards your goals.

Lots of good alternatives, heavier longer bullets make the big cases more usable. Just a matter of you applying your preferences, and needs towards your goals.
I like the possibilities on the longer, heavier bullets from Hammer and Cutting Edge, but I'm not 100% sold on mono-metal bullets, at least not ready to build a rifle around one.

The 0.323" 220 gr Sierra Game King is a proven performer, was designed specifically for the 8mm Remington Magnum (tougher jacket to handle Rem Mag velocities), has a decent BC, and works with the factory 1:10 twist. When I start reloading, that's the first thing I'm gonna try. I have a couple boxes of them already.

the 8-06 is also a neat cartridge for heavier bullets. A bit more than the 8x57 and less than the 325wsm. As a wildcat, it has run it's course because the initial reason for its introduction no longer exists, but nevertheless it's still an interesting idea on it's own merit.
And for volume shooting, it beats the 338-06, since good quality and cheap prvi fmj bullets are easily obtainable.

Unfortunately, nobody is considering the splendid 8x64S Brenneke that copies the performance of the 300WM factory loaded ammo with 180gr bullets without being magnum. Handles every bullet weight up to 220gr with great sovereignity, easy to load for, easy on the shoulder and very accurate. Headstamped brass from Brenneke and Sellier & Bellot (very good and cheap) or one has just to neck up cases of the very popular 7x64 Brenneke.

The 8mm-06 is an interesting cartridge but just doesn't have the capacity to go much beyond 500-600 yds with expansion velocity of about 1800 fps, especially with the available low BC bullets. With say a 220 gr mono with a higher BC that range might be extended 100-200 yds.

Even the 8mm RM or Mud's Tiatan would be hard pressed to get 1000 yds with a .6 BC bullet which currently doesn't exist.

Big cases, RUM and larger, with custom made monos are really the only way to go if we wnat to get to 1K with expansion velocity for hunting. For general shooting we can ad another several hundred yards before going transonic.

8mm Rem mag 220 gr Sierra. Sighted in at 250 yards, it takes me 21.7 MOA to reach 1000 yards. drops below 1500 Ft Lbs around 900 yards, and is still supersonic at 1500. I'm a little over 2900' above sea level

Well, those who know me are aware of my "love" for the German magnum 8x68S. It is still delivering an outstanding ballistic performance, but it's a child of the 1930 - ties, and we shouldn't forget about this fact. Its performance is shopped with a disturbing unpleasant recoil due to the case's ancient and obsolete geometry. The outdated geometry is a nightmare, and I will never understand that RWS, the owner of this cartridge, never has done anything about it and overhauled the case completely. 8x68S is still going strong on the Old Continent and is quite popular. I'd like to see people like @Swamplord with their expertise, experience and skills taking care of this fantastic cartridge. Shorten case length by 2 - 3 mm, removing the extreme tapering, "blowing it up" and given it a bench rest shoulder would be just 3 easy steps to improve this magnum and making it more shootable. Keep the throat as it is, because then one can still load all the new ultra long projectiles without issues. Rate of twist should be 1 : 9,5 for hunting purposes and bullet weights up to 230gr, for more 1 : 9 or even 1 : 8,5 would be required. I'm knowing a bunch of people, who would be extremely grateful for anyone doing something about this famous cartridge, making it modern again. The effort would be worthwhile.

Since the "search" doesn't seem to work for me I will post this wherever it shows up.

Sorry for the huge photos. I couldn't get the "thing" to cooperate. Anyway the cartridge on the left is a .270 Win. The next is a 6.5 Coyle and then the 8mmCoyle. The 6.5 barrel was bored out to 8mm. The large photos are a Hammer Hunter 198 grain bullet and a Shock Hammer 181 grainer from two angles. I use these in a Weatherby Mark V six lug rifle.

I guess the 8mm is large enough for blacktail deer. All have required one shot with the 198 grainer.
20220723_105211.jpg
20220723_105508.jpg
20220723_105653.jpg