8mm Thread

Ya know if Dan would make up some 250's, i could see myself (or you) being the first kid on the block with say a 8mm/338 LM Imp. I could see them being a .8ish BC bullet traveling in excess of 3200 fps down a 32" nitrided tube with a good load of RL33 :)

I could shoot with Broz and his LRKM :D

I have no doubt Dan would be happy to do that for us... crap. I wonder what barrel twist would be required for 250grn 8mm pill? She'd have to be tight. Maybe a good time to try out a gain-twist I have always been wanting to try...

ooooh... i'm kind of diggin the idea....crap...

t

I have no doubt Dan would be happy to do that for us... crap. I wonder what barrel twist would be required for 250grn 8mm pill? She'd have to be tight. Maybe a good time to try out a gain-twist I have always been wanting to try...

ooooh... i'm kind of diggin the idea....crap...

t

Yeah, I'm diggin it too.... I've also wanted to try out one of those Barltein gain twists. They would be a little faster.

The 338 cal 300's require an 8.5" tiwist. I'm thinking 8mm 250's would need about the same.

This really has me intrigued.

Finally! :) A great idea, because the performance of the 8 mm ('323) ammo seems to be widely underestimated in the USA. :cool: You've got the biggest market and the most famous producers in the world, so it should be possible to find a way of changing that. In Europe the 8s are extremely popular and used for all kinds of hunting. Of course also for long - range hunting, I'll just name the famous and beltless 8 x 68S. :D

I think this is the Howitzer thread :D gun)

That will work :)

Welcome to the HOWITZER world gun)
Hey now, I got welcomed to the Howitzer world, when I bought my .338 WM...I was gonna give it a legit chance...You know, the ole' college try...but it won't group, so that barrel's coming off. I've already got a spare STW heavy barrel laying at home. Plus, I've never much-liked sporter barrels...Always been into heavy metal. :D

And honestly, I guess you could call the STW a howitzer, since it is grossly overbore...You know...I mean, if you really wanted to get technical. :cool:

Alright, fine!!! I admit it, I like big calibers too! Unfortunately most are useless on the game around here, unless you just wanna blow big holes in stuff. LOL

OK not to **** on anyone's parade, but I spent a good deal of time last year working on a similar cartridge. A 338 Lapua improved necked down to 323. The reason was I have several 8mm Rem mags, and didn't want to follow the 338 crowd. Well I started searching for bullets, and only option I could find is cutting edge. Spent a lot of time on phone with them and he liked my idea, he has been thinking of creating a 8mm bullet but around 220 grain. I stated I would like one around 250 grain. Then we started talking barrel twist, which if I recall would be around 8-8.5? Which I couldn't find anyone who offered that. But in reality there is zero advantage it would have over the 338's. Which doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, because there are bunches of choices out there where something is better. But if you just want to do something different then I would say continue with your ideas, but would call cutting edge first and see what twist they think you would need. I know they will pretty much due whatever you want for a cost. Will be following this thread to see where you guys take it.

Yeah, I'm diggin it too.... I've also wanted to try out one of those Barltein gain twists. They would be a little faster.

The 338 cal 300's require an 8.5" tiwist. I'm thinking 8mm 250's would need about the same.

This really has me intrigued.

I doubt it'd take faster than a 10" twist to spin a lead core 8mm 250gr; a mono with a rather radical shape may be another story though. The 300 rum and 30-378 roy will spin the 225-240 hpbt's just fine on a 10" twist.

....I would like one around 250 grain. Then we started talking barrel twist, which if I recall would be around 8-8.5? Which I couldn't find anyone who offered that.

Bartlein can do pretty much any twist rate in their "T" Style Rifling (Gain twist)

But in reality there is zero advantage it would have over the 338's. Which doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, because there are bunches of choices out there where something is better. But if you just want to do something different then I would say continue with your ideas,

Bingo :D

but would call cutting edge first and see what twist they think you would need. I know they will pretty much due whatever you want for a cost. Will be following this thread to see where you guys take it.

What I am thinking is spec the barrel, say a 12" - 8" gain twist and build the bullet to the barrel... 240 or 250 or 260... whatever will stabilize

I doubt it'd take faster than a 10" twist to spin a lead core 8mm 250gr; a mono with a rather radical shape may be another story though. The 300 rum and 30-378 roy will spin the 225-240 hpbt's just fine on a 10" twist.

I'm thinking Cutting Edge is the only option for a good high BC long range bullet. Maybe Matrix? So I would plan for the long mono which i figure will probably need at least an 8 1/2" twist. 8 would be safer.