8mm Thread

Mud,

It would be nice if Berger made some 8mm pills but it ain't gonna happen. They have been promising the new 270 and 284 EOL's now for over 2 years. Best hope for a high BC cup and core is Matrix.

Also, the 250 size bullet is probably going to be on the large size for the Titan. Kinda like trying to shoot a 300 out of a 338 WM. It cam be done but MV is going to be low. Big bullets need big cases.
That is a big case...That's almost a full-length .338 Lapua, that's blown out...It should have the HP to push a 250 pretty quick. Remember, we're not talking a 8 RM case... We're lookin at ~132gr of water capacity in that case with a .010" taper. That's gonna be rockin and rollin with an ultra-slow burning powder like some RL33 or RL50.

That is a big case...That's almost a full-length .338 Lapua, that's blown out...It should have the HP to push a 250 pretty quick. Remember, we're not talking a 8 RM case... We're lookin at ~132gr of water capacity in that case with a .010" taper. That's gonna be rockin and rollin with an ultra-slow burning powder like some RL33 or RL50.

My bad, I thought it was based off the 8x68S. I had to put my reading glasses on to read the fine print :)

The 8mm-06 is an interesting cartridge but just doesn't have the capacity to go much beyond 500-600 yds with expansion velocity of about 1800 fps, especially with the available low BC bullets. With say a 220 gr mono with a higher BC that range might be extended 100-200 yds.

Even the 8mm RM or Mud's Tiatan would be hard pressed to get 1000 yds with a .6 BC bullet which currently doesn't exist.

Big cases, RUM and larger, with custom made monos are really the only way to go if we wnat to get to 1K with expansion velocity for hunting. For general shooting we can ad another several hundred yards before going transonic.

Interesting, thanks for the explanation! I didn't know that. lightbulb

I designed a few the other morning when all this 8mm talk got me thinking...

Here's the one I designed off the 8x68 Shuler case...

8mmBama_zpsf44c04fe.jpg

Here's one I designed off the .338-06 A-Square case that I really like the looks of...

8mmMortiferum_zps547f38b9.jpg

I designed a few the other morning when all this 8mm talk got me thinking...

Here's the one I designed off the 8x68 Shuler case...

8mmBama_zpsf44c04fe.jpg

Here's one I designed off the .338-06 A-Square case that I really like the looks of...
8mmMortiferum_zps547f38b9.jpg

The last one with the cool name "Mortiferum" (Death's iron) looks like an upgraded 8mm -06 wildcat. Correct? The design out of the Schuler 8 x 68 S is great and tasty! :) Same as it was in its 7mm version.

I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to shoot a 338-06 a few weeks ago. It was a blast to shoot, not very much recoil, and the gun was extremely accurate. I put 3 consecutive shots with 300 gr. Bergers on a 15" by 15" plate from 950 yards the very first time I shot it.

Sorry, back to the 8's

An 8mm-06 would be a blast too. Same problem though with bullet selection. It would need the heavier bullets to be an effective long range hunter, if for no reason other than carrying energy down range at the reduced muzzle velocities.

The last one with the cool name "Mortiferum" (Death's iron) looks like an upgraded 8mm -06 wildcat. Correct? The design out of the Schuler 8 x 68 S is great and tasty! :) Same as it was in its 7mm version.
Thanks! I try... :D

I think they would all be fun to shoot. I bet that 8mm Mortiferum would be a fun whitetail cartridge inside of 750 yards with a 180 or 200.

I've always liked the 8mm's and years back considered doing a wildcat on the 300 Rum case but went with a 300 Rum AI ( similar to the 300 Tommy) and considered it again 2 years ago but went with the 338 Edge instead .... yep, ya guessed it .. bullets and barrel twist were deciding factors..
I'd consider it again by necking down my 338 Wolverine but would love to see a 250 gr long range bullet first ..

I like the idea of an 8mm on the big Lapua case ! great idea and will really hammer big game !
cool name but Mr. Lazzeroni beat ya to it in 1994 when he developed the
8.59 (338) Titan

Thanks for the input Pro. Yeah, I fear I must rename it. After I posted it I realized I had a brainfart and that John did have a cartridge named that.

Mark, what do you propose we rename it?

Thanks for the input Pro. Yeah, I fear I must rename it. After I posted it I realized I had a brainfart and that John did have a cartridge named that.

Mark, what do you propose we rename it?

Why not using the cool name "Mortiferum" for this one with the big Lapua case. Just switch it over. That cartridge will be for sure a real "Death's Iron". :D Sorry for my interference, but since I'm accompanying the thread I like to contribute. The topic is intriguing me… :)

Shouldn't we actually talk more about the more "normal" (magnum-) rounds in 8 mm and a possible increase in their performance? I'm thinking about the majority of people who like to hear about "missiles" and "canons", but wouldn't use them because of high costs or fear (recoil…) etc. A perhaps flourishing 8mm community needs more good working "basics". Just a thought. gun)